Apple-backed patent consortium sues Google, major Android manufacturers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 166

I like goldfish.

• Reply 42 of 166
    At any time I might have fifteen different devices sitting on my table. Some of us don't limit outselves needlessly to one particular vendor because brand loyalty is for idiots, or because what we do for a living demands experience in all popular ecosystems. 

Well, you're just made of money aren't you?
  • Reply 43 of 166
    tdknox wrote: »
    I like goldfish.

I like Bitcoinfish.
  • Reply 44 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    mstone wrote: »
    I should have /s'd that. Rockstar is not a typical patent troll. Although, it does not make any actual product, its backers do. target marketing in iAds but, they certainly were not doing it before Google. I have a feeling this is going to get messy and probably won't end well for either party.

Are you familiar with MOSAID? They've been described as one of the biggest patent trolls on the planet, filing lawsuits against Apple on occasion as well as dozens of other techs. They have backers too that make real products. Wanna know who they are? Nokia and Microsoft.
    http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2012/03/microsoft-and-nokia-sue-apple-for-patent-infringement-through-a-holding-company.html
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1165717/mosaid_subsidiary_sues_apple_over_wireless_patents.html

How is Rockstar Consortium any different except for a couple of the players?
  • Reply 45 of 166
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Are you familiar with MOSAID? They've been described as one of the biggest patent trolls on the planet, filing lawsuits against Apple on occasion as well as dozens of other techs. They have backers too that make real products. Wanna know who they are? Nokia and Microsoft.
    http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2012/03/microsoft-and-nokia-sue-apple-for-patent-infringement-through-a-holding-company.html
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1165717/mosaid_subsidiary_sues_apple_over_wireless_patents.html

"Patent troll" is a needlessly loaded term. How about "Non-Practicing Entity" instead? Personalizing something that is essentially a business and property rights issue is just unnecessary.
  • Reply 46 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, you're just made of money aren't you?

It's not my money. I have a friend with a somewhat important mobile site in Texas and we have an arrangement. If he wants his site optimized for a particular device, he buys me one. Cheap for him, and very little work for me. 

• Reply 47 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They aren't. They are a Patent Holding Company, that is engaged in Patent Trolling on behalf of Apple and Microsoft. 

• Reply 48 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't be a putz. Apple, like all companies, are affected in one way or another by intellectual property issues. If you don't create and own your own IP, you may be responsible for violating someone's IP. This is a business reality...in every country as a matter of fact.

I'm not being a putz. Patent Trolls are slime, and now Apple and Microsoft are patent trolls in bed with each other. Which is sad and kinda pathetic. 

• Reply 49 of 166
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I bet that nothing even remotely close to this will matter, especially the last part.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Actually, it's laughable to even think that.</span>
    I think this shows google steals everything. Even the foundation of the profit center. Smdh
  • Reply 50 of 166
    The innovation avengers teamed up to kill the bad guy. That's what google get for blatantly trying to own the internet and openly stealing the very concept of the iPhone so brazenly. Hope these overbearing, malware infested, data hoarding privacy invaders get sued out of existence. They deserve it, it's karma. They'll be shouting about trolls until apple wheel out another billion from under their bridge.
  • Reply 51 of 166
    "Patent troll" is a needlessly loaded term. How about "Non-Practicing Entity" instead? Personalizing something that is essentially a business and property rights issue is just unnecessary.

Patent Assertion Entity works too. It's pretty widely recognized that whether you call them PAE's, NPE's or Patent Trolls those names all refer to the same category of patent holders and that category has become especially problematic for all businesses.
  • Reply 52 of 166
    Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

Which is sad and kinda pathetic. 

Sadder and patheticer is your presence here.

• Reply 53 of 166
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I'm not being a putz. Patent Trolls are slime, and now Apple and Microsoft are patent trolls in bed with each other. Which is sad and kinda pathetic. 
    The difference is that these companies actually use these technologies. Your beloved Google purchased Moto for their 17,000 patents and attempted to use them against Apple. They just turned out to be worthless. Or committed to standards.
  • Reply 54 of 166
    genovelle wrote: »
    The difference is that these companies actually use these technologies. Your beloved Google purchased Moto for their 17,000 patents and attempted to use them against Apple. They just turned out to be worthless. Or committed to standards.

Not siding with ScottWilson but not one single Motorola Mobility patent has been asserted against anyone (much less Apple) since Google purchased them. Unless that proves to you they're worthless since they haven't sued over them I've no idea how you arrived at that conclusion.
  • Reply 55 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not siding with ScottWilson but not one single Motorola Mobility patent has been asserted against anyone (much less Apple) since Google purchased them. Unless that proves to you they're worthless since they haven't sued over them I've no idea how you arrived at that conclusion.

You are wasting your breath. People want to believe what they want to believe when they treat a company like a religion. So they'll twist their minds around in circles unable to accept that Apple and Microsoft are now nothing more than common patent trolls. 

• Reply 56 of 166
    Quote:

They aren't. They are a Patent Holding Company, that is engaged in Patent Trolling on behalf of Apple and Microsoft. 

Quote:

Apple is not a patent troll and they are not trolling. But we know that you are a putz and a troll. Why are you here again? Nobody believes anything you say (rightfully so) so why do you insist on posting the same lies over and over?

Only thing pathetic are people like you (and in the past others like KD) who show up with new accounts on AI spouting all sorts of BS until they get bored and leave.

• Reply 57 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Apple is not a patent troll and they are not trolling. But we know that you are a putz and a troll. Why are you here again? Nobody believes anything you say (rightfully so) so why do you insist on posting the same lies over and over?

Only thing pathetic are people like you (and in the past others like KD) who show up with new accounts on AI spouting all sorts of BS until they get bored and leave.

Apple is a proven patent troll right now. Read the story. What does the title of this story say:

"Apple-backed patent consortium sues Google, major Android manufacturers"   <--- Apple is now a patent troll. Period. End of discussion. That is the definition of being one. 

• Reply 58 of 166
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

You can just feel sorry for players this desperate. Between the e-book price fixing scam, and now bottom feeding patent trolling, I'm losing a lot of respect for Apple. And I don't like that. But you can't really look at it any other way. 

Haha, good one.

Oh come on, Apple is actually using valid non standard essential patents here. As far as I can tell this is a regular and valid patent lawsuit. This is not to be confused with patent trolls such as Lodsys or even the BS Samsung tried to pull by using standards essential patents aggressively.

To be quite honest, after what Google tried to pull on Apple, which includes the times when Eric Schmidt was still on Apple's board and then suddenly Android looked like the first iPhone out of the blue and the latest attempts after acquiring Motorola and trying to use their standards essential patents aggressively, it's about time Apple hits back and sends a clear message. Going after Google's core business is a nice bonus and hopefully teaches them to stop fooling around with others as much as they did in recent years.

It is really amusing to see though, how Apple ends up being the bad guys for legitimately defending a product years or R&D went into and everyone copied. But sure, keep on ignoring that by using the "rounded rectangle" excuse...

• Reply 59 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cynic View Post

Haha, good one.

Oh come on, Apple is actually using valid non standard essential patents here. As far as I can tell this is a regular and valid patent lawsuit. This is not to be confused with patent trolls such as Lodsys or even the BS Samsung tried to pull by using standards essential patents aggressively.

To be quite honest, after what Google tried to pull on Apple, which includes the times when Eric Schmidt was still on Apple's board and then suddenly Android looked like the first iPhone out of the blue and the latest attempts after acquiring Motorola and trying to use their standards essential patents aggressively, it's about time Apple hits back and sends a clear message. Going after Google's core business is a nice bonus and hopefully teaches them to stop fooling around with others as much as they did in recent years.

It is really amusing to see though, how Apple ends up being the bad guys for legitimately defending a product years or R&D went into and everyone copied. But sure, keep on ignoring that by using the "rounded rectangle" excuse...

Oh, there's no confusion. It's the exact same thing. Apple got together with Microsoft and bought Nortel's patent portfolio, then set up a Patent Holding Company to Patent Troll Google. That's exactly what happened. They are using patents they don't even use for anything, or any product they make to sue a competitor because they can't compete any other way. They are patent trolls by every definition, which makes them slime. 

DEAL WITH IT

• Reply 60 of 166
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Not siding with ScottWilson but not one single Motorola Mobility patent has been asserted against anyone (much less Apple) since Google purchased them.

The glass house owners decided that throwing more stones would be unwise?