Apple-backed patent consortium sues Google, major Android manufacturers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottWilson View Post

Wow. So Apple and Microsoft are just pathetic patent trolls now. They actually set up a Patent Holding Company to Patent Troll Google. That wreaks of desperation. I remember when Apple had ethics.

So Trolling CNET wasn't enough for you?  We'll probably see BillWindows soon.

• Reply 82 of 166
    Quote:

I'm not being a putz. Patent Trolls are slime, and now Apple and Microsoft are patent trolls in bed with each other. Which is sad and kinda pathetic. 

Are you new to the IP issues Apple has been involved with in the past? They have previously been the target of massive lawsuits for their lack of IP attentiveness. They are now doing the right thing by actively and aggressively pursuing infringers. Failure to do so demonstrates a serious failure to protect the assets of the company.

• Reply 83 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Apple is a proven patent troll right now. Read the story. What does the title of this story say:

"Apple-backed patent consortium sues Google, major Android manufacturers"   <--- Apple is now a patent troll. Period. End of discussion. That is the definition of being one. 

Cool, if that's what Apple needs to do to crush Google and all the wannabe iPhone copycats, then so be it.

THERMONUCULAR as one of your ex-presidents would have put it.

• Reply 84 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

I don't think Google took this issue seriously until it was too late (who can forget their infamous pi $billion bid?).  Yes, they entered the bidding for the Nortel patents, but to at least some extent, I think they were simply trying to bid the price up and make the acquisition as expensive as possible for their competitors.  Also keep in mind that Google was INVITED to join the Rockstar consortium and they refused. 

Losing out on the Nortel patents directly led to them overpaying for a money pit in Motorola Mobility.  Yes, Motorola included a treasure trove of patents, but the most valuable ones had already been released into patent pools on FRAND licensing terms, which limits their value in litigation relative to other patents that are not part of industry standards.  The Nortel patents that Rockstar has wielded in this lawsuit do not fall under FRAND, which makes them potentially more dangerous to a defendant. 

I knew about the telecom patents in the Nortel collection, but I didn't know that those patents also included search-linked advertising.  To me, that's the real story because Google's entire business model is built around the cash flow that search ads generate.  Android and Chrome are worthless to Google without the advertising tie-ins, as are Gmail and all of their other "free" services.  Any search ad-related patent decision would cut to the core of about 90% of Google's revenues.   Because of this, it just seems shocking to me that Google wouldn't have done everything in their power to acquire the Nortel patents.  Did they not do the due diligence on what Nortel's patents contained?  Or are they betting on the courts invalidating those particular patents?  Should be interesting to see how things unfold.

Google have consistently proven they are the smartest guys in the room. I'm guessing Apple and Microsoft don't have what they think they have. If this was anything like an actual threat, Apple's stock wouldn't still be falling today 520.03-2.67 (-0.51%) and Google's stock would have dropped below 1000 and not be 1027.04.

• Reply 85 of 166
    Quote:

Google have consistently proven they are the smartest guys in the room. I'm guessing Apple and Microsoft don't have what they think they have. If this was anything like an actual threat, Apple's stock wouldn't still be falling today 520.03-2.67 (-0.51%) and Google's stock would have dropped below 1000 and not be 1027.04.

You've drawn conclusions from unrelated events. Not really surprising in your case.

• Reply 86 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Google have consistently proven they are the smartest guys in the room.

Unlike yourself, of course.

• Reply 87 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Unlike yourself, of course.

And blocked. Why are there so many losers here? I know there are smart Apple zealots. 

• Reply 88 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It looks as tho at least one of the patents Rockstar is asserting against HTC, Samsung and others could be Standard-Essential, #6,128,298. So much for some of the the "fair licensing" arguments made here if it is.
    http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/653/

The Standard (re: RFC-3022) that Nortel's document points to is this one:
    http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/workprog/wp_a5_out.aspx?isn=1425
  • Reply 89 of 166
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Thermonuclear Baby!
  • Reply 90 of 166
    Quote:

Google have consistently proven they are the smartest guys in the room.

Smart and shrewd are two different things. Shrewd has slight connotations of being sneaky, which I think is a better fit to describe Google.

Definition of shrewd (adj)

Bing Dictionary

shrewd

[ shrood ] 

1. good at judging people or situations: showing or possessing intelligence, insight, and sound judgment, especially in business or politics

2. clever and probably accurate: based on good judgment and probably correct

3. crafty: inclined to deal with others in a clever underhanded way

•  

I'd add the word brazen to describe them, also.

• Reply 91 of 166

No, they purchased the patents fair and square. They are simply asserting the patent rights that Nortel couldn't due to bankrupcy. They are also asserting other intellectual property that Google and these manufacturers are infringing on a wholesale, global level.

• Reply 92 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you new to the IP issues Apple has been involved with in the past? They have previously been the target of massive lawsuits for their lack of IP attentiveness. They are now doing the right thing by actively and aggressively pursuing infringers. Failure to do so demonstrates a serious failure to protect the assets of the company.

They bought a patent portfolio they didn't need to sue a competitor that's beating them in multiple markets. Lets stop pretending Apple aren't slime ok? You sound ridiculous defending their unethical practices. 

• Reply 93 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Smart and shrewd are two different things. Shrewd has slight connotations of being sneaky, which I think is a better fit to describe Google.

Definition of shrewd (adj)

Bing Dictionary

shrewd

[ shrood ] 

1. good at judging people or situations: showing or possessing intelligence, insight, and sound judgment, especially in business or politics

2. clever and probably accurate: based on good judgment and probably correct

3. crafty: inclined to deal with others in a clever underhanded way

?

I'd add the word brazen to describe them, also.

•  

I agree with that number three description.

• Reply 94 of 166

If you own intellectual property and you don't enforce it, you stand to lose it. In other words, it has less to do with if they are slime or not and more to do with the fact that they need to enforce what they own.  It's like if you own a piece of property and you neglect it and someone else comes and builds a house on it.  They can claim squatter's rights (in some countries) since the owner was not defending the property. Rockstar is asserting their ownership of the properties.

• Reply 95 of 166
    The forums have a new TEKSTUD / ConradJoe / Zither.
  • Reply 96 of 166
    They bought a patent portfolio they didn't need to sue a competitor that's beating them in multiple markets....
    In market share perhaps. In PROFIT SHARE however Apple remains comfortably ahead.
  • Reply 97 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

If you own intellectual property and you don't enforce it, you stand to lose it. In other words, it has less to do with if they are slime or not and more to do with the fact that they need to enforce what they own.  It's like if you own a piece of property and you neglect it and someone else comes and builds a house on it.  They can claim squatter's rights (in some countries) since the owner was not defending the property. Rockstar is asserting their ownership of the properties.

And if you bought that IP specifically to patent troll a competitor beating you in multiple markets, you are a patent troll. 

• Reply 98 of 166
    Quote:

They bought a patent portfolio they didn't need to sue a competitor that's beating them in multiple markets. Lets stop pretending Apple aren't slime ok? You sound ridiculous defending their unethical practices. 

Two wrongs don't make a right but slime is also Eric Schmidt completely changing the UI of Android after he, while on the Apple BoD, saw how much better iOS was compared to the (current, at the time) direction Google was taking with Android.

Apple got burnt once by loaning Macintoshes to Bill Gates, after which Microsoft developed the GUI version of Windows, completely copying the GUI of the Mac OS. Apple lost the "Look and feel" lawsuit that came from that incident so now they are covering their asses. Apple now know they can't sue Google for stealing the look and feel of iOS but they can sue for the IP used within it....which Apple (and their Rockstar partners) now own.

Google had their fair chance of owning the patents ......but blew it.

• Reply 98 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

In market share perhaps. In PROFIT SHARE however Apple remains comfortably ahead.

Well, other than Samsung beating them in profits two quarters in a row. And being behind. Other than reality, yeah. 

• Reply 100 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Two wrongs don't make a right but slime is also Eric Schmidt completely changing the UI of Android after he, while on the Apple BoD, saw how much better iOS was compared to the (current, at the time) direction Google was taking with Android.

Apple got burnt once by loaning Macintoshes to Bill Gates, after which Microsoft developed the GUI version of Windows, completely copying the GUI of the Mac OS. Apple lost the "Look and feel" lawsuit that came from that incident so now they are covering their asses. Apple now know they can't sue Google for stealing the look and feel of iOS but they can sue for the IP used within it....which Apple (and their Rockstar partners) now own.

Google had their fair chance of owning the patents ......but blew it.

Every time I hear this Apple Fan Fiction I cringe, because I know people actually believe this nonsense.