High-capacity iPad Air models selling out, Web tool shows availability at local Apple Stores

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Just hours after Apple completed its initial iPad Air worldwide rollout on Friday, certain models are already seeing stock outs in the U.S., but a handy Web-based tracker searches nearby Apple Stores for supply on hand.

As noted by CNET, developer Mordy Tikotzky has once again created an Apple product tracking tool, this time for those looking to nab a new iPad Air on launch day, a prospect becoming increasingly slim as first day supplies of certain models run dry.

According to the Online Apple Store, high-capacity versions of the Air are showing stock outs across the nation, especially the top-end 128GB model in both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular. Constraints are most severe with the space gray 128GB T-Mobile version, which is now showing estimated shipment times of 5 to 10 business days.

To help consumers, Tikotzky developed a tool that allows users to display iPad Air in-store pickup availability at the 20 closest Apple Stores. As with the website's iPhone 5s tracker, the iPad Air version will soon have a feature that notifies users via email when stock is available.

The tool works by compiling and reformatting data pulled in from Apple's official online store. It should be noted that the represented information is limited to in-store pickup purchases only, and does not necessarily reflect stock on hand. The best bet would be to call a local Apple Store to check supplies before going down.

In addition to the iPad Air, Tikotzky also has trackers for the iPhone 5s and is readying the tool to handle Apple's upcoming iPad mini with Retina display. Supply of the smaller 7.9-inch tablet is expected to be extremely tight when it launches later in November, as LCD manufacturers are reportedly seeing lower than expected yield rates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Broken image link.

• Reply 2 of 48
    Yep, it is getting more and more to simp-lily stop producing 16 gb models and 8 in iPods and all set it to double, I next year would be ok with the simple update to A8 and a 32 gb model for $200 on iPhone 5S, same specs on iPads also.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Broken image link.

Clicking on it on my iPhone using the AI app didn't do anything but opening the listed link in Safari worked.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    rob53 wrote: »
    Clicking on it on my iPhone using the AI app didn't do anything but opening the listed link in Safari worked.

It's working now, at least on my iPad. On my iMac is where I originally saw the problem. All fixed, either way! :)
  • Reply 5 of 48
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Went to Best Buy this morning, was told they didn't receive their shipment of Cellular models yet. Took my name and number down. On a whim, I went over to the Apple store just in case they had any left. In and out in 10 minutes, easy peasy. Space Grey 32GB + AT&T and the leather case, which honestly, I'm not loving and will probably be taking back in favor of just the smart cover.

There were maybe 20 people in line at Best Buy. Guy who helped me at Apple Store said they saw around 30 when the doors first opened. Mall was playing Christmas music already. Creepy.

It's 3:18pm, and Best Buy still hasn't called. My flight to California takes off in two hours. Really glad I didn't wait for them.

• Reply 6 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Pfft. Lemmings. JD Power said Sammy is number because of price. You all will be unsatisfied! /s
  • Reply 7 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

This again proved my point on other threads.  For tablets larger memory is more desirable than on smartphones.  And for $100 more the user gets only 16GB more for the 32GB model.  And the cost is $599.  This is kind of ripoff after four years. 

• Reply 8 of 48
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This is kind of ripoff after four years. 

You mean ten years? I guess it’s not then, huh.

• Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean ten years? I guess it’s not then, huh.

Seven years.  The cost of 32 GB memory is only $8. To put it in a different perspective, Apple is giving the competitors a good opportunity to outsell itself. 

• Reply 10 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tzeshan wrote: »

Seven years.  The cost of 32 GB memory is only $8. To put it in a different perspective, Apple is giving the competitors a good opportunity to outsell itself. 

It's more to it than cost. I can attach a 64GB to a piece of shit but it's still shit.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's more to it than cost. I can attach a 64GB to a piece of shit but it's still shit.

JDPower and millions of Samsung tablet buyers disagree with your shit statement. 

• Reply 12 of 48

Anyone getting the Apple Care for their iPads? Why? 

• Reply 13 of 48

Nope. But I treat my stuff better than most people treat their children. Hard case on back, Smart Cover on front, Zagg screen protector. If I have to spend an additional hundred dollars on something, I'd rather get those three items, which keep my iPad looking as nice as it looked when I took it out of the box this morning.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    This again proved my point on other threads.  For tablets larger memory is more desirable than on smartphones.  And for $100 more the user gets only 16GB more for the 32GB model.  And the cost is $599.  This is kind of ripoff after four years. 

So you expect massive YoY updates to the HW but also expect the price to drop YoY simply because it has the capacity storage? BTW, I am quite happy they still have 16GB and wish I could have gotten a smaller internal SSD on my new MBP but I couldn't so I had to pay extra money. That's life! Deal!
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

JDPower and millions of Samsung tablet buyers disagree with your shit statement. 

lolwat?

• Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I've never bought it for any of my Apple products.  Never understood why people buy AppleCare.  Their stuff doesn't break on its own, so as long as you don't drop it or get it wet you're fine.  :)

• Reply 17 of 48
    AppleCare has saved by bottom with my last iPad. Outdoor photographer caught in the rain.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    32 gigs and up is the way to go. I'm getting the 128 gig ipad air for Xmas when my peeps from way back send me my $500.00. And I'll be getting the retina ipad mini as well. I'll have all the money. Believe that!!!
  • Reply 19 of 48
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Didn't have a problem securing a 128GB iPad Air this afternoon for store pickup.
    However, the SIM removal tool is worse than what I expected from Samsung.
    They might have just as well included a bent paper clip; can't even put that sorry piece of wire on a key chain.

YUCK!!!!

Whatever happened to the liquid metal license???

Is Apple so desperate to increase profit margins that they can't afford to include a decent SIM removal tool anymore? May it is time to start shorting Apple stock, if that's how the Apple executive team starts to think now. Soon we'll have flimsy plastic iPads and instead of Gorilla glass we'll get polycarbonate screens, too...

Where's the "back of the cabinet that nobody ever sees is going to be finished just as well as the front" mentality when I see such a lousy excuse for a SIM removal tool?

I guess the liquid metal ones will soon fetch astronomical prices as relics/collectibles on eBay...
  • Reply 20 of 48
    You're an outdoor photographer, and you use an iPad?