High-capacity iPad Air models selling out, Web tool shows availability at local Apple Stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Bring on the iPad Mini Retina!
  • Reply 22 of 48
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

You're an outdoor photographer, and you use an iPad?

iPads make the best photo albums. As a matter of fact, that's the only reason I ever bought an iPad for.

The fact that it does other things is a pleasant side effect, but I'd never spend as much money as an iPad costs without a serious business case; watching Netflix in bed isn't exactly worth $1k or even half as much.

Having a few thousand pictures in presentation quality in a about a pound of weight without having to spend $0.30 for each print and having to lug around a massive photo album, THAT is worth buying an iPad for.

• Reply 23 of 48
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    rcfa wrote: »
    iPads make the best photo albums. As a matter of fact, that's the only reason I ever bought an iPad for.
    The fact that it does other things is a pleasant side effect, but I'd never spend as much money as an iPad costs without a serious business case; watching Netflix in bed isn't exactly worth $1k or even half as much.

Having a few thousand pictures in presentation quality in a about a pound of weight without having to spend $0.30 for each print and having to lug around a massive photo album, THAT is worth buying an iPad for.

Not to mention you allow the potential new customers the ability to interact with your photos by holding them in their hands and swiping. Great psychological sales work (even if that's not what you knew you were doing). ;)
  • Reply 24 of 48
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    It's odd that it takes $100 to get an iPad from the more or less worthless 16GB to a usable 32GB, but the same C-note jumps it from 64GB all the way to 128GB.

Considering the tiny incremental parts cost, I'm surprised that Apple doesn't simply drop the 16GB model altogether, at least from the iPad Air product, and make its base model 32GB. They could keep a 16GB bottom-of-the-line in the non-Retina iPad 2.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

the more or less worthless 16GB

Oh, it’s less.

• Reply 26 of 48
    tzeshan wrote: »
    This again proved my point on other threads.  For tablets larger memory is more desirable than on smartphones. 

I purchased my iPhone 5 and iPad4 at the bottom end of their configurations (16Gb). Even though the apps I downloaded are synced across both devices, the iPad got full a lot faster than the iPhone. In fact the iPhone has yet to get full.

I'm surprised that I never found any information on line to give a new purchaser any idea of what memory size of iPad one might need. I certainly would buy a bigger iPad today than I did. By offering a 16 Gb iPad, Apple is indicating that size is acceptable for use, which is barely is. I have a lot of my books and music as well as apps stored in the iCloud (which seems to not fill up due to how Apple doesn't count Apple purchases against the space used). Next time I won't even consider the 16Gb size.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    tzeshan wrote: »

Seven years.  The cost of 32 GB memory is only $8. To put it in a different perspective, Apple is giving the competitors a good opportunity to outsell itself. 

Apple pays more the $8 for 32GB, probably like $20. This kind of memory comes in various qualities which determine how well it can be refreshed. The Nexus, for example, uses the cheapest possible kind... hardly good for a year of normal use.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Anyone getting the Apple Care for their iPads? Why? 

when i got my iPad 2 in March 2011 i got the Applecare and I'm totally glad I did.

after the first 20 months or so, the screen started showing signs of "screen retention".  It had almost exactly 120 days left on the Applecare.  They tested it in the back of the Apple store, came back and confirmed it.  Gave me a replacement (Dec. 2012).  This replacement lasted for about 1.5 months when I started noticing that the bezel was making a snapping sound when i pressed down around but not directly on the home button.  Took it back and they replaced it with a 3rd (Feb. 2013).  That one was solid and all-around great device.

I sold it on eBay (Sep. 2013 ;$330) anticipating that the new full-size iPad would be exactly like the iPhone 5s, Touch ID and all.  I was a bit disappointed but still not enough that I don't want to get either a new Air or the Retina Mini.  Will probably be the Air.

I only wish the new smart covers came in leather and not just the cases.

So My Advice, you may never need AppleCare, but you never know.  I get it on every one of my devices.  The iPad has been the only one i've ever had to use it for though.  Although Ghosting and Screen retention is a common issue with Retina displays...the Apple Genius Guy told me that when they tested my iPad 2.  he was surprised the screen retention was showing up even on a non-retina.

• Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

This again proved my point on other threads.  For tablets larger memory is more desirable than on smartphones.  And for $100 more the user gets only 16GB more for the 32GB model.  And the cost is $599.  This is kind of ripoff after four years. 

well, my circle of tech friends thinks the opposite of you.  We'd rather have more storage on the iPhone for music alone.  I'm still using my iPod Classic because i need greater than 64GB of space for my entire collection.  128 would be perfect and i could finally retire the Classic. Although I still prefer the tactile feedback of the click-wheel over the touch interface.  however the headphone remote gives back about 85-90% of that.

My former iPad 2 had very little on it.  Apps, podcasts (mostly streamed) about 7000 photos and just 3-5 movies all fit on 32GB model with room to spare.

for most people I know, the iPad never really left the couch.  I took it while on Vacation and business travel, but really I use my Mac more on Business travel and the iPad was barely used.

• Reply 30 of 48
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

16GB is no longer appropriate as a starting size for the storage. We have 64bit class processors here capable of high definition gaming, and these games are 2GB in size. Apps are much richer than in the past. Disney's Animation application is 1.8gb alone. It's hard to store music, high resolution photos, games and the occasional movie on the base model. Sizes like 32GB are cheaper in tablets like the Kindle Fire HDX which the 8.9" model will retail around $440 with 32GB. 

32GB should simply start being the base. I won't get my hopes up. Apple holds the keys to the iOS kingdom, and we have to play by their rules to play in the App Store. Space bottlenecks for increased margins is the order of the day. 

• Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

I find it hard to believe that AppleCare covered you getting your iPad wet.  Most iOS devices (i don't know about the iPad) have sensors that trigger when the device gets wet.  and I don't think AppleCare covers that because it's really your own damn fault for getting it wet.  You must have had one sympathetic Genius.  And I think the others on here commenting about your profession because your original post insinuated you use your iPad as your photography device.  Not a typical DSLR or the likes.

• Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

It's odd that it takes $100 to get an iPad from the more or less worthless 16GB to a usable 32GB, but the same C-note jumps it from 64GB all the way to 128GB.

Considering the tiny incremental parts cost, I'm surprised that Apple doesn't simply drop the 16GB model altogether, at least from the iPad Air product, and make its base model 32GB. They could keep a 16GB bottom-of-the-line in the non-Retina iPad 2.

it's not a fact that 16GB is *worthless* as you say.  not everyone has the same needs for storage as others.

What if you don't play massive memory-hog games?

You listen to you music with iTunes Match?

Watch movies on the netflix or Hulu App?

There are many ways to use the iPad and many differing types of users.

• Reply 33 of 48
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

I find it hard to believe that AppleCare covered you getting your iPad wet.  Most iOS devices (i don't know about the iPad) have sensors that trigger when the device gets wet.  and I don't think AppleCare covers that because it's really your own damn fault for getting it wet.  You must have had one sympathetic Genius.  And I think the others on here commenting about your profession because your original post insinuated you use your iPad as your photography device.  Not a typical DSLR or the likes.

When and where did I say that AppleCare covered getting my iPad wet? I never got my iPad wet. Maybe it would be useful to quote the right person and the right passage, before appending some statement that doesn't match either content or user.

But even if, there are cases when humidity sensors trigger for different reasons, so they only go so far in telling the whole story, and Apple did replace a fair number of devices as a courtesy. The new AppleCare+ actually does cover up to two accidental incidents, but they each carry a deductible, so people don't randomly abuse it.

• Reply 34 of 48
    antkm1 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that AppleCare covered you getting your iPad wet.  Most iOS devices (i don't know about the iPad) have sensors that trigger when the device gets wet.  and I don't think AppleCare covers that because it's really your own damn fault for getting it wet.  You must have had one sympathetic Genius.

I spoke to the staff at the Apple Store yesterday, and AppleCare does cover both water damage and screen damage on the iPad, so it is not just a manufacturer's warranty, but also a limited accidental damage insurance policy (a deductible applies for damage). It also covers battery wear if your battery life reaches 50% of the advertised capacity.

I know it's unusual to find facts posted in these forums, but I can't promise it won't happen again. :p
  • Reply 35 of 48
    rcfa wrote: »
    When and where did I say that AppleCare covered getting my iPad wet? I never got my iPad wet. Maybe it would be useful to quote the right person and the right passage, before appending some statement that doesn't match either content or user.

But even if, there are cases when humidity sensors trigger for different reasons, so they only go so far in telling the whole story, and Apple did replace a fair number of devices as a courtesy. The new AppleCare+ actually does cover up to two accidental incidents, but they each carry a deductible, so people don't randomly abuse it.

Right. You beat me to it. Facts vs belief: facts win. Every time.

You only have to ask Apple. The contentious water sensors are there to help Geniuses determine if your iPhone isn't working because of hardware failure or water damage (deductible applies). The presence of the water sensors doesn't "prove" AppleCare doesn't cover water damage.
  • Reply 36 of 48

Awesome, thanks everyone! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Nope. But I treat my stuff better than most people treat their children. Hard case on back, Smart Cover on front, Zagg screen protector. If I have to spend an additional hundred dollars on something, I'd rather get those three items, which keep my iPad looking as nice as it looked when I took it out of the box this morning.

I agree and treat my equipment very well also.  Zagg working good for you? Any touch issues? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

I've never bought it for any of my Apple products.  Never understood why people buy AppleCare.  Their stuff doesn't break on its own, so as long as you don't drop it or get it wet you're fine.  :)

My old iMac's logic board died and AppleCare replaced it, so it was worth it then. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

when i got my iPad 2 in March 2011 i got the Applecare and I'm totally glad I did.

after the first 20 months or so, the screen started showing signs of "screen retention".  It had almost exactly 120 days left on the Applecare.  They tested it in the back of the Apple store, came back and confirmed it.  Gave me a replacement (Dec. 2012).  This replacement lasted for about 1.5 months when I started noticing that the bezel was making a snapping sound when i pressed down around but not directly on the home button.  Took it back and they replaced it with a 3rd (Feb. 2013).  That one was solid and all-around great device.

I sold it on eBay (Sep. 2013 ;$330) anticipating that the new full-size iPad would be exactly like the iPhone 5s, Touch ID and all.  I was a bit disappointed but still not enough that I don't want to get either a new Air or the Retina Mini.  Will probably be the Air.

I only wish the new smart covers came in leather and not just the cases.

So My Advice, you may never need AppleCare, but you never know.  I get it on every one of my devices.  The iPad has been the only one i've ever had to use it for though.  Although Ghosting and Screen retention is a common issue with Retina displays...the Apple Genius Guy told me that when they tested my iPad 2.  he was surprised the screen retention was showing up even on a non-retina.

YES! Smart covers in leather also, I was just looking at that. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I spoke to the staff at the Apple Store yesterday, and AppleCare does cover both water damage and screen damage on the iPad, so it is not just a manufacturer's warranty, but also a limited accidental damage insurance policy (a deductible applies for damage). It also covers battery wear if your battery life reaches 50% of the advertised capacity.

I know it's unusual to find facts posted in these forums, but I can't promise it won't happen again. image

Really? I did not know that, cool! Worth the price right there. Also on MacBooks w/AppleCare? 

Thanks again everyone! 

• Reply 37 of 48
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Apple pays more the $8 for 32GB, probably like $20. This kind of memory comes in various qualities which determine how well it can be refreshed. The Nexus, for example, uses the cheapest possible kind... hardly good for a year of normal use.

That's still a 500% mark-up on the "memory pack" (to borrow a term for high margin upgrades in the car biz).  On a product that most owners will require for a good quality long-term user experience as pointed out below.

And that hurts the perceived experiential quality of a good portion of entry level buyers who may reconsider who to get their next gadget from somewhere else (even if suffers by comparison on multiple other levels).  I.e., more adequate entry level RAM would increase the highly desirable (to Apple) "stickiness" of keeping customers in their whole ecosystem.

And this (essentially gouging for larger initial storage) is an Apple tactic I've had issues with long before the iPhone and iPad were even a gleam in Cupertino's eye as most people I know generally buy the entry level.  So it's seems to be "in their corporate DNA."

I'm certain a survey of the Apple engineers and developers who "sweat the details" of making "insanely great devices" would show they're appalled to see a big portion of their dev work ship out slightly gimped (or as Koop says below, "bottlenecked") and less useful and fluid than they could be for another $20 in the BOM.

On the other hand (especially as a public corporation), Apple's industry-leading margins have been a key to their overall business strategy.  And recent quarterly earning show that these have dropped slightly in recent times - showing that they are trying to keep prices in line in their new strategic mobile markets.

Market share and gross revenues have only driven the company once - the downward-spiraling interim between Jobs being ousted and then rehired.  Otherwise premium quality products and net margins have been their way, so I doubt that goal's going to change. 

So I'd suggest they still re-examine their pricing and marketing models and look for  other ways to get that margin other than in promoting sub-optimal storage-constrained entry level devices as being the first point of contact with new and budget-constrained buyers. 

Not that a forum commenter has the formula for that...  ...but if anyone has the resources to solve technical - and business - problems, it should be Apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

16GB is no longer appropriate as a starting size for the storage. We have 64bit class processors here capable of high definition gaming, and these games are 2GB in size. Apps are much richer than in the past. Disney's Animation application is 1.8gb alone. It's hard to store music, high resolution photos, games and the occasional movie on the base model. Sizes like 32GB are cheaper in tablets like the Kindle Fire HDX which the 8.9" model will retail around $440 with 32GB. 

32GB should simply start being the base. I won't get my hopes up. Apple holds the keys to the iOS kingdom, and we have to play by their rules to play in the App Store. Space bottlenecks for increased margins is the order of the day. 

Since they wrote the rule book, they're the ones in a position to edit it in a few small but significant ways that would benefit buyers from day one and the company in the long run.

• Reply 38 of 48
    JD Power survey. Samsung scored 835 out of 1,000 points. Apple scored 833 out of 1,000 points. And this would be without the Ipad Air.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Yes based on the price. However the statistics show samsung users dont like their devices enough to actually use them.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Looks like ALL iPad Retina minis are sold out and about 1/2 of the iPad Airs in my zip code are out of stock. Wow! Going to be another massive quarter for Apple (why am I not surprised?)...