Review: Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by realengo View Post

I know, I had to write in a manner that tokenuser could understand, unfortunately that meant using cliches.

The use of those cliches is what is especially pissing me off. The fact that you are using them just reinforces them.

It is those cliches that have the media focused on graphics professionals ... when there is a whole other audience of professionals and non-professionals who are using the machines. The "I'm a Mac .. I'm a PC" ads while entertaining did nothing to break the stereotypes. The fact you feel you need to drop back to them in an effort to insult me <really? you can do better than that ...> just shows how effective they were - and how out of touch you are.

BTW - I was using a Mac SE (at a global mining and manufacturing company) over 20 yeas ago. My first college courses in programming involved using a Mac that booted off disc (when was the last time we could boot off a 800K floppy? ... when was the last time we even saw a floppy on a Mac??) and swapping discs in and out to load MacPascal. I've been doing this for a long time - professionally ... I've seen the cliches come and go. Want to try throwing "Windoze" or dropping M$ into your posts too to add some street cred?

• Reply 82 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jouster View Post

The demo models I've used in the store seem laggy and jumpy when scrolling or moving in/out of full-screen view in iPhoto and Aperture.

Is the the case for real-life users, or is it restricted to the floor models?

Thanks.

Although the Apple Store folk spend a lot of time making sure the machines are set up for an optimal experience, people play with them. Thats what they are there for. But it does mean that the next time, someone can have a sub optimal experience because the last person set the resolution funny, or thought they be clever and load something up in the background that suck cycles.

Eitherway, expect updates when Mountain Lion ships. Apple are optimising their programs for Retina displays (and large monitors in general), other developers are following suit.  

• Reply 83 of 102
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Ummm...which sticks out just like the MagSafe2 plughead, so, not a solution, not "done".

Yes, but:

1. The cable still angles away parallel to the case.

2. Gives enough distance that the plug will "break away" instead of pulling the laptop.

If you read my post more carefully, you'd notice that, although I acknowledge the pull-away difference, I don't consider it an inconvenience, as I do the protuberance, for the way I use it.

• Reply 84 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by realengo View Post

Dude, what is your damage? a kitty dies every time someone uses the term in a non-dictionary manner? chillax please. I understand your point of view, and you are right, but if you look at the context of the conversation between tokenuser and me you'll see that I was using the terms PC and Mac the same way the "Get a Mac" ad campaign from Apple did, the same way most people think a PC is. If you need the email address of Apple so you can correct them also I'll be more than happy to provide it for you.

Really? 

really.

honestly?

When you say "PC" unless you clarify that it is a machine with Windows on it, or say from the Mac ads guess what it means.

Did you ever make that distinction until now? I do not believe so, of course, i may be wrong.

Anyhow, Apple can use that add fine, i dislike it because it makes stereotypes. Also, i think it is fine because my mom is a creative copywriter and i grew up learning about advertising.

But when discussing with other people (who cannot read your mind) you need to clarify you are using the point first.

Anyhow, back to talking more about the review: thanks to the people who gave out names of apps (or wrote their own) that let you use the full screen resolution! 

• Reply 85 of 102
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

I'd like to know how noisy it gets under load. I love my Macbook Air but the fans get quite noisy when doing anything CPU intensive.

Every Macbook Pro I've had in the past has been basically silent except for the HDD noise.

• Reply 86 of 102

Woohoo! Just transferring my info from my Macbook Air to my new shiny rMBP! Couldn't resist the new screen :)

• Reply 87 of 102
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Could someone have a rMPB mesaure if the trackpad is in the center of the Notebook and not slighty align to right? I have seen it on display a few times but everytime i saw it i thought it looks dispoportional.

I somehow even think the left side is slightly wider.

• Reply 88 of 102
    dweeksdweeks Posts: 6member

Each edge of the trackpad is 5" away fro the edge of the case.

• Reply 89 of 102
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweeks View Post

Each edge of the trackpad is 5" away fro the edge of the case.

Um... I just go back and check again, must be something wrong with my eye sight i continue to think it is not aligned. My fault.

• Reply 90 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Here is one photographer's take on the new RMBP...

http://cdtobie.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/retina-display-macbook-pro-for-calibration-and-photography/

[LIST]
    [*] The high resolution reduces eyestrain
    [*] The gamut is a lot better than on the displays of previous models, as it now displays 99% of sRGB
    [*] The glare was greatly reduced compared the glossy displays
    [*] IPS technology allows to display similar colors and brightness at a wide range of viewing angles
    [*] The default calibration is rather good but there is room for improvement[/LIST]

Seems reasonable to me. Certainly not the waste of money some are claiming.

PS: Apple screwed us once again¡ They could have easily added an Ethernet jack on the new RMBP¡

[INDENT][URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171979/width/600/height/399][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/171979/width/600/height/399[/IMG][/URL][/INDENT]

[LIST][*]http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/13/lenovo-ideapad-u310-review/ [/LIST]
  • Reply 91 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    [*]The high resolution reduces eyestrain
    [*] The glare was greatly reduced compared the glossy displays
    [*] IPS technology allows to display similar colors and brightness at a wide range of viewing angles

NO. YOU'RE WRONG. GLOSSY DISPLAYS PHYSICALLY DAMAGE OUR EYES. THEY RUIN OUR COLORS. THEY CANNOT BE USED. ANY GLARE AT ALL IS UNACCEPTABLE. NO LIGHT MUST REFLECT OFF THE SCREEN.

????
  • Reply 92 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO. YOU'RE WRONG. GLOSSY DISPLAYS PHYSICALLY DAMAGE OUR EYES. THEY RUIN OUR COLORS. THEY CANNOT BE USED. ANY GLARE AT ALL IS UNACCEPTABLE. NO LIGHT MUST REFLECT OFF THE SCREEN.

????

Turn off the lights then. And your caps lock.

• Reply 93 of 102
    I love the "T" shaped design. I've had experience with both the "T" and "L" shaped power adapters and found that the "L" shaped version held onto the computer a little too well. It didn't allow for a clean break away every time (by clean, I mean the computer not moving at all). I've never had a problem with the "T" shaped version. Sure, it doesn't look as pretty, but I'd rather have a pretty laptop than one that got pulled off my lap and was damaged in the process (angle of your legs, surface the computer is resting on, humidity levels, etc may be a factor in this scenario).
  • Reply 94 of 102

I'm a developer and I've been using apple mac for last 2 years, I just purchased a Windows 8 convertible device VAIO, after using for couple of days, i feel I've being missing all these new feature which is convenient for day today use in  missing in the damn apple product. 

In my learning , I can say only by apple product design, people are buying it and for its high tag brand name.. but no use in spending money in apple product at all. 

I'll never prefer an apple product in my lifetime.. Guys if you buy an apple product, you will be blind to latest technology all those years you use. You will be forced to praise it to others as you spend more money to buy it.

• Reply 95 of 102
    Anyone with the burn-in (ghost) display problem? please reply
  • Reply 96 of 102
    Apple product is great but not great for me. The bad thing about Apple product is that if their product is between 2 to 6yrs old and you end up having minor issues with laptop or desktop or Ipad etc. They may not be able to repair them for you. After your warranty has expires you are on your own finding the parts for their products. If they happen to have your part they will charge you a fortune to repair it. As an apple customer I'm disappointed that they NO LONGER CARRY PARTS FOR MY MACBOOK PRO instead they offered for me to buy a new one for over $1000 which i refused to. They did recommend me to seek help from third party companies like Catcom Computers Inc and Micro Center. Its not 100% that they may carry your parts. So, right off the bat purchasing any Apple product can leave you disappointed after a couple of years. I have the very first Macbook pro and I absolutely love it. After 7yrs of great service and still is working perfect its finally giving minor problems with the charging area. Since my laptop is "VINTAGE" Apple no longer carry its parts. The third party companies are selling Apple product parts for a lot of money but with good Googling skills you might find some parts fairly cheap. The worst part is when you find it yourself you have to either go back to Apple store and beg them to fix it and charge you over a $100 with your own parts that you took to them to fix it for you :( VERY DISAPPOINTED.
  • Reply 97 of 102

Not really. You're also paying for enhanced quality, security and longevity that you don't get with other PC's.

<a href=" http://www.squidoo.com/macbook-pro-with-retina-display-price-and-review-does-it-surpass-the-original ">My Computer Review</a>

• Reply 98 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamabear View Post

Apple product is great but not great for me. The bad thing about Apple product is that if their product is between 2 to 6yrs old and you end up having minor issues with laptop or desktop or Ipad etc. They may not be able to repair them for you. After your warranty has expires you are on your own finding the parts for their products. If they happen to have your part they will charge you a fortune to repair it. As an apple customer I'm disappointed that they NO LONGER CARRY PARTS FOR MY MACBOOK PRO instead they offered for me to buy a new one for over $1000 which i refused to. They did recommend me to seek help from third party companies like Catcom Computers Inc and Micro Center. Its not 100% that they may carry your parts. So, right off the bat purchasing any Apple product can leave you disappointed after a couple of years. I have the very first Macbook pro and I absolutely love it. After 7yrs of great service and still is working perfect its finally giving minor problems with the charging area. Since my laptop is "VINTAGE" Apple no longer carry its parts. The third party companies are selling Apple product parts for a lot of money but with good Googling skills you might find some parts fairly cheap. The worst part is when you find it yourself you have to either go back to Apple store and beg them to fix it and charge you over a $100 with your own parts that you took to them to fix it for you image VERY DISAPPOINTED.

The problem you're having is not unique to Apple products. I experienced the very same thing with an IBM ThinkPad that I bought back in 2004 or so. Just after (and I do mean JUST after) it went off warranty, I began experiencing motherboard issues. It was going to cost a fortune to fix it out of my pocket. So I forgot about it and bought a cheap laptop to supplement the one my employer was already providing... plus I had a couple of desktops in my home-office. But during some downtime (probably two years after it had died), that bricked IBM began to bother me. So I finally found a shop that could get the part and fix it. But as luck would have it, the ThinkPad configuration that I got apparently required some sort of unique motherboard - and the one the shop got wouldn't fit. So it still sets silently on a shelf in my office. I'm hard headed and I just refuse to throw it away. But it hasn't been worth fixing for at least 5 years.

I'm not a computer expert and I didn't stay in a Holiday Express last night, so take my free advice as maybe just being worth what it cost (nothing): once a computer reaches a certain age, as much as you might like it, any money you put into it will provide diminishing returns. If I read your comments correctly, your MacBook Pro is 7 years old, right? A shop is going to charge you a set hourly rate whether you get the parts or they do... whether it's an Apple, HP or Dell. If you're determined, you could always get a donor computer off Ebay and get the parts cheaper that way... then sell what's left of the computer piece by piece and maybe come out even or ahead after the labor. But at the end of the day, you'll still just have a well functioning, though obsolete, computer. No offense intended, but I just can't see this as anything to do with Apple any more than any other brand.

• Reply 99 of 102
    Originally Posted by mamabear View Post

So, right off the bat purchasing any Apple product can leave you disappointed after a couple of years.

What’s this? Old computer parts are hard to come by? 

And you’re genuinely surprised about this? Do you know anything about any industry ever created?

Nice sentence, by the way; really good blanket statement for absolutely nothing.

• Reply 100 of 102
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">So, right off the bat purchasing any Apple product can leave you disappointed after a couple of years.</span>
    Nice sentence, by the way; really good blanket statement for absolutely nothing.

Au contraire, I think it can apply to Macs; you'll want the new model when it comes out. With Wintel PeeCee's it should read:

"So, right off the bat purchasing any Wintel can leave you disappointed after the purchase."

(some will say: 'before')