How do you put a picture in the iChat window?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
OK we are chatting with iChat.

The Apple Help says you can drag an image file to the text entry area and it will put the image in as part of your message.

The drag puts an icon there, and the pointer turns to a "+" sign.... but no image appears for any of the participants.

Anybody ever got this to work??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It works for me.

Drop a picture into the text area and hit enter like you were sending a message. The image should appear in the chat bubble for you and buddies using iChat. If it's a large file it might take a while to send. The recipients will only see a grey box with the image name until the entire image is received -- annoyingly iChat doesn't show progress this way.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    You cannot post images to chat rooms with many people. You can post images to individual chats. You can also send images to individual members in a chat room by dragging to their names in the participants pane or in your buddy list.

This is done because it would be quite annoying for, say, a dozen people in a chat room to have to transfer every image that is posted.

[ 12-22-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    [quote]Originally posted by Target Practice:

<strong>It works for me.

Drop a picture into the text area and hit enter like you were sending a message. The image should appear in the chat bubble for you and buddies using iChat. If it's a large file it might take a while to send. The recipients will only see a grey box with the image name until the entire image is received -- annoyingly iChat doesn't show progress this way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There are 3 of us in a room right now and none of us can get a 32KB image to show up. Drags and drops just fine though.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Did you read what I just said?

You CAN'T post images to chat rooms.

you CAN post images to individual one-on-one chats.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Did you read what I just said?

You CAN'T post images to chat rooms.

you CAN post images to individual one-on-one chats.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No Brad, what you said was "you can't post images to chat rooms with many people". Since you didn't say how many people defines "many people", I am saying that 3 people and a 32KB file does not work.

Now Apple's Help File on iChat says the following:

[quote] "You can send a picture that appears in the chat window. Unlike when you send a file, the picture is displayed right beside your text and doesn't have to be accepted then viewed separately. For best results, send images in JPEG or GIF format to ensure that people using applications other than iChat can display the files." <hr></blockquote>

And as Target Practice reported that he had success:

[quote]

It works for me.

Drop a picture into the text area and hit enter like you were sending a message. The image should appear in the chat bubble for you and buddies using iChat. If it's a large file it might take a while to send. The recipients will only see a grey box with the image name until the entire image is received -- annoyingly iChat doesn't show progress this way. <hr></blockquote>

So it should work, according to Apple and atleast one user report. There is nothing on the ADC mailings about it either.

[ 12-24-2002: Message edited by: lundy ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you can take my word too.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    [quote]Originally posted by lundy:

<strong>So it should work, according to Apple and atleast one user report. There is nothing on the ADC mailings about it either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you're getting confused. Apple also calls one-on-one IM sessions "chats." You can have images appear in these. NOT in chats with more than two people.