Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPad Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

What an intelligent response. Go figure. Like I said I do not expect much from these forums because most of the posts are from Apple shills but unlike most of you I own a lot of stock so I always appreciate your blind faith in a company ha.

I can post my receipt if that would make you feel better. I generally do not respond to such unintelligent posts but I was bored tonight image

5 posts in 7 years, and tonight you were driven to add 2 more because you were bored. How thrilled the rest of us feel at our collective ignorance, we really must step up our game.

• Reply 22 of 169
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    drew0020 wrote: »
    What an intelligent response. Go figure. Like I said I do not expect much from these forums because most of the posts are from Apple shills but unlike most of you I own a lot of stock so I always appreciate your blind faith in a company ha.

I can post my receipt if that would make you feel better. I generally do not respond to such unintelligent posts but I was bored tonight :)

The problem with your post was the "choppy" lead in. It was an out right lie based on my experience. I have found nothing choppy in the interface. As for side by side app running? Could care less for a tablet. I don't see the tablet as a replacement device like some confused OS developers do but as a supplemental device.
  • Reply 23 of 169
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Quote:

I can post my receipt if that would make you feel better. I generally do not respond to such unintelligent posts but I was bored tonight image

Why don't you buy a Surface instead?  Samsung's side-by-side multitasking is a joke (only certain apps can do it, and never two you'd want at the same time), but Surface seems to have a general purpose implementation.

Yes, I would be interested in seeing your receipt.

• Reply 24 of 169

most of the posts are from Apple shills

If you make a claim, prove it or shut up.

I can post my receipt…

…I was bored tonight image

Go find a hobby other than lying about a company, ‘kay?

• Reply 25 of 169
    Quote:

Similar to multitasking on a phone that no one cared about until Apple decided to implement it?

I mean come on. Having 2 programs side by side makes sense the same as true multitasking that Apple recently implemented.

Anyway. I'm done with this thread. The responses on here are clearly fanboyesque at worst and unintelligent at best. I guess I'll leave these forums because intelligent discussion is obviously not welcome here.

You're welcome back anytime you decide to stop pouting about nobody agreeing with your opinions.

• Reply 26 of 169

I guess I’ll leave these forums

Thanks! Good luck in your search for intelligent discussion.

(should we tell him that they’re the ones looking for him?)

• Reply 27 of 169

Having gone from the 4s to the 5s, I totally appreciate the speed bumps. I will not touch one because I know that I will want it to replace my version 3. But using the Touch ID lets me know I want that on my next iPad, even though security is less of an issue on an iPad than an iPhone, but I still want to have it.

• Reply 28 of 169
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    No where near enough Touch ID sensors to have shipped on iPad Air at this time. Furthermore, it seems a bit redundant and out of place....iPads have Smart Covers.

Yes, it has nothing to do with security and using an iPad without a pass code is risky business if you lose it.

But Touch ID is not about security either. It's about SPEED of entry, while maintaining security.

iPad already has the ultimate speed of entry with smart covers, but only if u negate passcode security.

I know these things seem independent of one another, but you really need to think about the usability...opening the Smart Cover, followed by a Touch ID authentication, seems to be less than ideal.
  • Reply 29 of 169
    What is the "system" app that was the basis for the screenshot at the end of the article? Looks cool.

Loving my ipad air - incredible upgrade over the ipad 2.
  • Reply 30 of 169
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Similar to multitasking on a phone that no one cared about until Apple decided to implement it?

I mean come on. Having 2 programs side by side makes sense the same as true multitasking that Apple recently implemented.

Anyway. I'm done with this thread. The responses on here are clearly fanboyesque at worst and unintelligent at best. I guess I'll leave these forums because intelligent discussion is obviously not welcome here.

The iPhone has had multi-tasking since the day it was released. Also, I have no idea what "true-multitasking" is except a buzz word repeated by parrots when they don't know what they are talking about.
  • Reply 31 of 169

Can't help but notice that you left without posting your receipt. How conveeenient, as The Churchlady used to say.
  • Reply 32 of 169
    Another reason there might not be a touch option is the fact that an iPad is more of a family device rather than a single-person device like a phone. Right now you can only store five fingerprints. That would be a real tight limit in a family of four or more. I wouldn't turn it on unless there were at least 15 prints that could be stored. The next step of course would be user profiles so when my son used his finger, it would limit the apps that could be used, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 169
    Off topic, but I was reminded while texting on my new Air how much I dislike the default behavior of spellcheck when it skips a space after inserting the word. More often than not I have to then backspace to get rid of the space in order to put the ending on the word (e.g. "ing" "ed") or some punctuation or another. Would save me time to just insert my own space before the next word if I need it. Am I alone on this?
  • Reply 34 of 169

It's obvious why there's no TouchID on the iPads. I think the ultimate use of TouchID by Apple is for some sort of payment/personal ID system. And who's going to use an iPad for mobile payments? Your smartphone is the personal device that gets "attached" to the user and is the one always with you. This is the device where ID is important. Mobile payments are the obvious first use for this, but I can see it going a lot further.

Say you get stopped by the police and they ask to see your ID. You unlock your smartphone, open up your "Personal ID" App (which requires a press on TouchID for additional security) and your iPhone displays a digital drivers license the officer can then read. This could also be applied to birth certificates, social insurance numbers, health cards or any other government issued ID.

Taking this to the ultimate extreme, I can see a future very soon where you will no longer carry a wallet. There won't be a need as anything you'd typically carry could be stored digitally in your iPhone. About the only thing a wallet would be good for is carrying all the useless paper we habitually stuff in there......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPf98i8A0g

• Reply 35 of 169
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Off topic, but I was reminded while texting on my new Air how much I dislike the default behavior of spellcheck when it skips a space after inserting the word. More often than not I have to then backspace to get rid of the space in order to put the ending on the word (e.g. "ing" "ed") or some punctuation or another. Would save me time to just insert my own space before the next word if I need it. Am I alone on this?

I agree to an extent. In normal typing it makes sense. But when creating shortcuts like an email address and letting them "auto-complete", it then puts a space after your email address/username...which I can't tolerate.
  • Reply 36 of 169
    I got the 64GB AT&T version on Friday and I agree with the 5/5 score. It's everything I wanted in an iPad upgrade. It is a terrific upgrade from the 3rd gen iPad. The Touch ID thing is icing. If you're waiting for that, you're not looking at everything it does have to offer. I love it!
  • Reply 37 of 169
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I like my new iPad Air a lot (32GB, WiFi), but goodness, Safari has bee crash happy on this damn thing. I don't know if it's the extra overhead created by the 64-bit processor or "only" 1GB of RAM, but I've experienced more Safari crashes in the past three days than I have on my iPhone 5 in the past few months. And I never have more than 5 or 6 tabs open at once.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/34477/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 38 of 169
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Typical troll nonsense. It never has and never will be a big deal on tablets that actually sell.

No one cares.

Get Side by Side. It's an app that goes up to 4 Windows.  And it's f-ing FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

http://leibao.webs.com/Apps_by_Bao_Lei/Side_by_Side.html

• Reply 39 of 169
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Just held one at the Apple store. The drop in weight from an iPad 3 is definitely noticeable. I think I'll wait for the retina mini though. The only advantage I can see to the full size iPad is touch typing. For the difference in price you could buy the mini plus an actual bluetooth keyboard for less than the cost of the iPad Air.

I was planning on buying a leather smart case but after handling them in store they added significant bulk and looked like plastic. definitely a smart cover for me.
  • Reply 40 of 169
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I like my new iPad Air a lot (32GB, WiFi), but goodness, Safari has bee crash happy on this damn thing. I don't know if it's the extra overhead created by the 64-bit processor or "only" 1GB of RAM, but I've experienced more Safari crashes in the past three days than I have on my iPhone 5 in the past few months. And I never have more than 5 or 6 tabs open at once.

Are you running other apps that are memory hungry?