Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPad Air

Comments

• Reply 61 of 169
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm loving my Air except Safari does crash from time to time. I don't have issues with any other browsers or apps so maybe it's a Safari issue, not hardware.

I've had Safari stalls on both Mac and iOS (iPad mini) and cured them by opening Settings/Prefs and clearing the history and cookies (noting that, possibly, iCloud may restore/transfer those things even if you don't know it!) 

• Reply 62 of 169
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

The Air is nice but let's be honest the iOS7 is choppy on this device. The multitasking still sucks and again is choppy, the lack of 2 apps side by side is again a major short coming and 1GB of ram is a huge disservice. I can barely get 5 tabs on Safari without a refresh.

I realize if this was Microsoft people would be up in arms and rightfully so, but because it's Apple things are acceptable as always. The fact that 16GB is still priced at $499 which is woefully inadequate these days makes

me laugh even more.

I'm sure the apologists will bash this post but I don't expect much from Appleijsider these days (I feel like they are paid Apple shills).

It's always great when someone like you posts nothing but horse-shit, non-sensical ramblings, and pre-emptively mocks any response to the specious claims by defining them in advance as "apologists" and "paid shills". It completely cements and confirms the fact that you're nothing but a cowardly troll and you have no interest in any reasonable, honest dialog. 

So, let's look at the facts. Benchmarks show the iPad Air decimating every single other tablet out there. Every single in depth review I've read (about a dozen) contains only extremely positive words about the performance, that the iPad runs like butter, is ultra-fast in every single situation, with nary a hiccup or a stutter, and that there's nothing that was thrown at it that managed to slow it down even a tad. Not ONCE negative word about performance. Oh, and I also happen to own one, and can confirm these findings.

So, there's only 2 scenarios here. One, is that you somehow have a defective unit, something I have yet to hear of, the chances of which are probably one in a million. Or two, you're a shameless liar, something that would seem infinitely more probably considering the tone of your post, and your previous posts. 

In the fictional scenario that you actually DID buy, and have decided to keep the product, I have to say you must be deranged in some way. I don't know who would CHOOSE to buy and keep a device, and then call anyone who says anything positive about it a paid shill, state that you believe it's a ripoff, not to mention expecting it to somehow behave in a way that you knew it would not (ie. 2 windows side by side). It's a level of irrationality that borders on insanity. (PS- if anyone gave a shit about side by side windows on a tablet, the Surface wouldn't only have sold 2 million units in the past year, while the iPad has sold close to 60 million in that same timeframe)

• Reply 63 of 169
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

So that drew0200 really is a shill account for Microsoft, can the mods delete that account?

• Reply 64 of 169
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    drew0020 wrote: »
    Anyway. I'm done with this thread. The responses on here are clearly fanboyesque at worst and unintelligent at best. I guess I'll leave these forums because intelligent discussion is obviously not welcome here.

Don't forget to post a copy of your receipt before you go...

;)
  • Reply 65 of 169
    I just got my ipad air tonight and I have to say what a difference, this thing is a whole new experience, it's not heavy in the hand nod it feels awesome!!!!its very snappy too what an improvement!!!:D
    It's been a long wait for an ipad update but the wait was well worth it!
  • Reply 66 of 169
    The Air is nice but let's be honest the iOS7 is choppy on this device. The multitasking still sucks and again is choppy, the lack of 2 apps side by side is again a major short coming and 1GB of ram is a huge disservice. I can barely get 5 tabs on Safari without a refresh.

I realize if this was Microsoft people would be up in arms and rightfully so, but because it's Apple things are acceptable as always. The fact that 16GB is still priced at $499 which is woefully inadequate these days makes
    me laugh even more.

I'm sure the apologists will bash this post but I don't expect much from Appleijsider these days (I feel like they are paid Apple shills).

me laugh even more.

Microsoft troll earning a few pennies!
    Hone your skills bro! More thn obviouse !
  • Reply 67 of 169
    I am also experiencing Safari slowing down after four tabs are open on the iPad Air. Also, I keep getting the blue screen of death when I install Photoshop on the floppy drive. Damn iPad.
  • Reply 68 of 169
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    enzos wrote: »
    ...and clearing the history and cookies (noting that, possibly, iCloud may restore/transfer those things even if you don't know it!)

I'd wish iCloud would sync Safari History across all devices, but alas, only tabs, reading list and bookmarks.
    http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/#safari

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard can it be"
  • Reply 69 of 169
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Fifth generation Air? Last time it checked, this was the first generation Air. Or the fifth generation iPad, if you will.
  • Reply 70 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd wish iCloud would sync Safari History across all devices, but alas, only tabs, reading list and bookmarks.

Maybe not be such a great idea if you're sharing a device, e.g., considering what may, or may not, be on one's History!

How hard?

Regardless of the caveat above, you actually CAN synchronise Safari Tabs by turning on iCloud Safari sharing, then you can access the (cumulative) Tabs by hitting the bookmarks symbol and looking in a folder on the list called iCloud Tabs. 

• Reply 71 of 169
    I've had my Air since walking out of my local Apple Store at 8:10am on Friday & as I'm in Aus that makes me one of the first I guess to get my hands on it. (I had a one hour wait in the queue & got a free coffee a bottled water paid for by Apple! How good is that?!!)

I'm flummoxed to work out how it's 5.4 X faster than my iPad 3 though. It is noticeably faster but not 5.4 X faster! Can anyone advise on what activities I could try to test its increased speed?

I do have a problem with a lot of the reviews though. They just don't address the issues that most concern me. For me, I was hankering to upgrade to the Air due to these 4 main shortcomings of my iPad 3:

1) the Safari tab reload shortcoming. This is a big issue for me but unhappily no difference at all with the iPad Air as compared to the 3. :-(

2) lag time with OS animations, web page scrolling, app boot-ups etc. Noticeably improved/solved with iPad Air! :-)

3) Battery life. Quite a bit better but not to the extent I'd like. I'd rather an iPad that was twice as heavy if it had twice the battery life!! (I feel like I'm a voice in the wilderness on this one. Does no one feel likewise?)

4) Battery recharge time. Much better actually. The more efficient hardware allows a smaller battery which is therefore quicker to fully recharge. This, along with the 12 Watt charger, makes it much quicker to recharge than the 3. The Air even restarts from powered down & completely flat within a minute or so! I recharged both my 3 & my Air from completely flat and by the time my Air was 94% my 3 was only at 66%. So that's a big grin on that front from me! :-))

Of course, the niggling software issues with spellcheck, app crashes (both Safari & Notes(!) have crashed so far, along with a few others) and a few new odd bugs, all remain. I wish Apple would respond to these which I've logged with then via their feedback page over the years. :-(

I'm happy with the form factor but it lacks the heft & solidity of, my personal favourite (remember I don't care about the weight much, if at all), the original 2010 iPad. The softly curved edges don't cut into my fingers and thumbs so I'm happy with that.

Apple needs to add more RAM to the SoC next time, and they need to finally get those OS/software issues solved.
  • Reply 72 of 169
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    g-news wrote: »
    Fifth generation Air? Last time it checked, this was the first generation Air. Or the fifth generation iPad, if you will.

"I helped my brother Jack, off a horse"
    enzos wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Maybe not be such a great idea if you're sharing a device, e.g., considering what may, or may not, be on one's History!

How hard?

Regardless of the caveat above, you actually CAN synchronise Safari Tabs by turning on iCloud Safari sharing, then you can access the (cumulative) Tabs by hitting the bookmarks symbol and looking in a folder on the list called iCloud Tabs. 

That's Bookmarks and Tabs; not History. Besides, whenever a friends' kid is using my Mac/phone/pad, I don't have anything to hide. It's History syncing I'd like. The other 2 options aI already use. Quite often.
  • Reply 73 of 169

"Apple gave it a slightly higher clock speed at 3.9GHz, or 100Mhz faster than the 5s."

say what?!

Try 1.4GHz instead!

• Reply 74 of 169
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The chips don’t exist.

Sure they do, the samsung S4 has it. https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM4335 but I believe the iPad is still faster.
  • Reply 75 of 169
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am surprised you guys continued to feed that troll instead of ignore him. Saw the iPad Air last night and you do need to hold it to believe it. It was like holding the mini for the first time compared to the brick of the prior iPads. I am considering selling my iPad mini for the Air, because the Air is as beautiful as the mini and only slightly heavier, but not by much. Easily held with one hand. The A7 in the Air is so fast, especially compared to the A5.

Since I'm still waiting on my iPad Air (here tomorrow hopefully) I went down to Best Buy to check them out. I was pretty amazed at how light it is. I'm upgrading from an iPad 3 so the weight and speed blew me away. Best tablet on the market by a wide margin. 

• Reply 76 of 169

Browsing History is indeed a step up in 'risk' from Tabs and I think Apple is conservative when it comes to potential privacy issues with a default-install application.

Google is far less cautious when it comes to "sharing" their users' private details! I certainly wouldn't, but no doubt you could share your Browsing History by using Chrome or Firefox (?) 

• Reply 77 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Typical troll nonsense. It never has and never will be a big deal on tablets that actually sell.

No one cares.

I'd quite like it.  

The Windows 8 concept of 1/3 and 2/3 apps is decent, though not good enough to make me prefer the Surface over an iPad.  Having a drawer with Mail, or Twitter, or iMessage updating live would be quite handy, rather than having to flick between apps manually.

I think pretending that the iPad is 100% feature complete, perfect, and beyond criticism is pretty trollish too.

• Reply 78 of 169
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Off topic, but I was reminded while texting on my new Air how much I dislike the default behavior of spellcheck when it skips a space after inserting the word. More often than not I have to then backspace to get rid of the space in order to put the ending on the word (e.g. "ing" "ed") or some punctuation or another. Would save me time to just insert my own space before the next word if I need it. Am I alone on this?

This is usually down to bad typing. You should reset the keyboard dictionary in Settings and start typing more slowly and deliberately.
  • Reply 79 of 169
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    zeromeus wrote: »

It has been said many times before that the reason why iPhone 5s is short on stock is because they weren't able to keep up with the production of the touch ID components...

I don't believe that, though.
  • Reply 80 of 169

Mine's on it's way from Apple. As I have only owned the iPad 'Classic' since day one I expect I'm in for a shock. I may need to lie down for a while after five minutes ... :wow: