Apple's iTunes Remote app updated with new, iOS 7-inspired design [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released an update to its iTunes remote control app for iOS devices, bringing a new visual design and adding support for iTunes 11.1.

New Remote app


First spied --?in the form of a redesigned icon --?last month, Apple's Remote app has been updated to version 4.0, just the second refresh for the app this year. Apple says the update requires iOS 7, and is optimized for iPhone 5.

Apple chose to keep the feature list for Remote the same, aside from the version-bumped iTunes support, but rather focused on updating the app's user interface. Users can still control every aspect of iTunes playback on their Mac, and those with an Apple TV maintain the ability to use their iOS device as a remote control and keyboard for the living room media streamer.

The new visual direction matches that of Apple's other iOS media playback apps, namely Music and Videos, and sports a slightly darker blue hue for buttons and list controls. The app also features the same new, flatter icon seen earlier.

Remote's update leaves iBooks, iTunes U, Find My Friends, and Keynote Remote as the only first-party App Store apps that have yet to receive a visual overhaul for iOS 7, release just over one month ago. Keynote Remote is particularly neglected, having not seen an update of any kind since 2011.

Update: Apple on Monday also updated its AirPort Utility app with 64-bit support to take advantage of the iPhone 5s' A7 processor.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 32
    Why the darker hue of blue? Are they still experimenting with the new UI design? Interesting. I hope this isn't just a matter of the left hand ignoring the right hand.
  • Reply 2 of 32

    There's a lot wrong and missing in this version.

     

    1. I can't find iTunes Radio. It still controls iTunes Radio if I start it from my computer, but there's no way to start it from my iPod Touch.

     

    2. The colors for the track information and the time remaining bar are very odd. They are somehow based on the album cover, but they also fade from one color to another. This makes the information much harder to read.

     

    3. AirPlay icon next to the volume control? I thought that they were banishing that icon to the Control Center?

  • Reply 3 of 32
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    I hope Find My Friends is next. It was ugly when it first came out but it's now it's just so much worse in comparison to the clean and modern iOS 7.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    It's alpha!

    Extremely buggy.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    gustavgustav Posts: 826member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oakwine View Post

     

    There's a lot wrong and missing in this version.

     

    3. AirPlay icon next to the volume control? I thought that they were banishing that icon to the Control Center?


    That Airplay icon is to control the remote device's (e.g. the Mac your are controlling) AirPlay setting. It's not for setting Airplay on the iOS device you are currently using. It's a remote app, remember.

  • Reply 6 of 32
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member

    I'm a bit surprised that Apple would prioritize the Remote app over iBooks for iOS.

  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

     

    That Airplay icon is to control the remote device's (e.g. the Mac your are controlling) AirPlay setting. It's not for setting Airplay on the iOS device you are currently using. It's a remote app, remember.


    D'oh. You are correct.

  • Reply 8 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Why the darker hue of blue? Are they still experimenting with the new UI design? Interesting. I hope this isn't just a matter of the left hand ignoring the right hand.

    Indeed. It's a very woosy, lame design with the darker blue.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    jetlaw wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised that Apple would prioritize the Remote app over iBooks for iOS.

    Different people are working on it and it was less work. That said this feels very like pre-release software. It's terribly buggy. Shoddy by Apple's standards I would submit.
  • Reply 10 of 32

    Apple chose to keep the feature list for Remote the same,

    This is surprising.
    Usually they choose to remove features.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

    The iPad version is terrible and clearly shows why having text as buttons is a fishy concept. Once you connect to a library Remote only shows Music, no option to change to movies or TV shows, not even under "More...". You have to tap the text label saying "Music in ..." to show these options or change the library or device. Design is now about how it does not work.

  • Reply 12 of 32
    Biggest issue I had was that it wouldn't find any of my existing libraries. I had to delete and re-add them.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    oakwine wrote: »
    There's a lot wrong and missing in this version.

    1. I can't find iTunes Radio. It still controls iTunes Radio if I start it from my computer, but there's no way to start it from my iPod Touch.

    the remote app never "played" itunes radio. the remote app controls itunes on your desktop/laptop (and controls apple tvs).

    if you want to play itunes radio from your ios7 ipod touch, use the builtin Music app.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Biggest issue I had was that it wouldn't find any of my existing libraries. I had to delete and re-add them.

    no issues here. multiple ios devices, multiple libraries.

    did you have to go so far as to go through the pairing process again (i.e., did you have type in an access code on each of the machines you wanted to control?) yikes.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post





    Different people are working on it and it was less work. That said this feels very like pre-release software. It's terribly buggy. Shoddy by Apple's standards I would submit.

    and maybe a catchup version... like all those shoddy podcast releases... 

     

    I was hoping for more... but then again, I'm hoping for a completely new interface that 'reverse airplay's' the navigation of appleTV to the iDevice Screen... 

     

    We do have to remember, there are a few million lines of code Apple is maintaining now for 'free.'  I'm hoping release quality won't suffer from that decision.  

  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post





    the remote app never "played" itunes radio. the remote app controls itunes on your desktop/laptop (and controls apple tvs).



    if you want to play itunes radio from your ios7 ipod touch, use the builtin Music app.

    I know that Remote controls iTunes. 

    I like to play music over the big speakers streaming from iTunes, and I want to be able to control all of it through Remote app on my Touch. I can't change Radio stations from my Touch, and I should be able to. It does give me the "star / pause / skip" trio, which is a step up from the last version of Remote, but that's not what it should be able to do.

     

    I don't play Radio on the Touch directly, because it loses connection to my AirPlay speakers when in my pocket.

  • Reply 17 of 32
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    This does not look like IOS7 UI. Looks nothing like the iPod player in IOS7.
    They also missed the iTunes Radio control.
    They should include headphone support. Say you play a movie on Apple TV, and you use Remote and your IOS device to use headphones wirelessly. Should work with multiple users as well.

    Apple need to get a handle on Remote.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Bit weird how I can browse and play my iTunes in the Cloud music via the iOS interface, but not my podcasts, movies or TV shows. The gestures (they're new right?) are alright I suppose.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Its been a few years since Ive used the remote app. Did the iPad version look like itunes before?

    Im surprised how similar they both are, given that ones for touch and the others a mouse. Apples said a lot about UIs needing to be different, so it seems odd that the iPad screen shot looks almost identical to itunes on osx.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Ugh.

    Text as buttons is my least favorite part about the new design direction. They were going for clarity but most everyone I know has found it to be confusing. This is a classic example of it at it's worst.
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    The iPad version is terrible and clearly shows why having text as buttons is a fishy concept. Once you connect to a library Remote only shows Music, no option to change to movies or TV shows, not even under "More...". You have to tap the text label saying "Music in ..." to show these options or change the library or device. Design is now about how it does not work.
Sign In or Register to comment.