Apple-backed patent consortium sues Google, major Android manufacturers

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    cpsro wrote: »

Before Apple hosted music in the cloud, it obtained the permissions. Perhaps some music entities feel they got left out or slighted by Apple's deals with the major labels, but at least Apple made a major effort to sign them all up. And what did Google do?

The same thing. They made major efforts to sign up the providers and hosted them on Google Music and Google All-Access only after reaching licensing agreements with them. What did you think they did?
  • Reply 162 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Cool story but Apple was part of Rockstar Bidco when they won the patent auction in July of 2011, more than 2 years ago. Rockstar Consortium wasn't formed until mid-2102 and only included 5 of the original 6 as investors (Sony is probably out now too based on court filings and making it a group of 4 majors with perhaps some minor individual investors as well). Further Apple "purchased" 1024 of those Nortel patents before the remaining ones had ownership given to the Consortium. Kinda changes the explanation for the rest of your post doesn't it?

I wish Apple would buy out all of the Rockstar partners and become the sole owner of that IP. That would be massive.

• Reply 163 of 166
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Any word on if Sony is being targeted by this patent troll as well? They do make Android products after all.
  • Reply 164 of 166
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The same thing. They made major efforts to sign up the providers and hosted them on Google Music and Google All-Access only after reaching licensing agreements with them. What did you think they did?

What I know they did was launch Google Music without licensing deals. That's not the same as Apple.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20061280-261.html

• Reply 165 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What I know they did was launch Google Music without licensing deals. That's not the same as Apple.

Are you suggesting that there was something wrong with launching without licensing deals? From that article:

Quote:

Amazon and Google appeared to have built their services to carefully avoid violating any copyrights. They didn't make any additional copies of songs. Users upload songs to both services and those same copies are what the users hear when they access their libraries. If Amazon or Google, say, scanned the hard drives of its subscribers to ensure that they owned the music and then streamed back to them a company-created copy--a process known as "scan and match," Amazon and Google would have needed a license.

• Reply 166 of 166
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    cpsro wrote: »

Hmm. . .
    Users could upload and listen to only their own music until Google reached licensing deals with the appropriate labels, which they did. I believe you can still do the same with iTunes too even today, with uploads of your own content in the event iTunes Match doesn't have a licensed version. For a minute there I thought you were trying to claim Google was illegally offering unlicensed music thru Google Music or All-Access, which of course they have never done anymore than Apple has.