Apple's iTunes Remote app updated with new, iOS 7-inspired design [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    Its been a few years since Ive used the remote app. Did the iPad version look like itunes before?

Im surprised how similar they both are, given that ones for touch and the others a mouse. Apples said a lot about UIs needing to be different, so it seems odd that the iPad screen shot looks almost identical to itunes on osx.

That happened with iTunes 11 and the album view from what I recall. I love having it on the iPad personally as it's among my favorite new iTunes features.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    hydr wrote: »
    This does not look like IOS7 UI. Looks nothing like the iPod player in IOS7.
    They also missed the iTunes Radio control.
    They should include headphone support. Say you play a movie on Apple TV, and you use Remote and your IOS device to use headphones wirelessly. Should work with multiple users as well.

Apple need to get a handle on Remote.
    Interesting idea with the headphones. Like AirPlay the audio back to the device essentially? But it definitely does look like iOS 7 UI and is very similar to the iTunes app, at least on the iPhone. I haven't compared on the iPad. Are you sure you've upgraded???
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Biggest issue I had was that it wouldn't find any of my existing libraries. I had to delete and re-add them.

I use home sharing and have never had an issue with it automatically finding libraries that way.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Why the darker hue of blue? Are they still experimenting with the new UI design? Interesting. I hope this isn't just a matter of the left hand ignoring the right hand.

Darker than what?  It looks very similar to the shades of blue used for the Safari and Mail icons, or the Weather, or the App Store, or Keynote.  If anything they should have made it a different shade of blue just to help it stand out.

• Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakwine View Post

There's a lot wrong and missing in this version.

2. The colors for the track information and the time remaining bar are very odd. They are somehow based on the album cover, but they also fade from one color to another. This makes the information much harder to read.

Welcome to iOS7!

• Reply 26 of 32
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakwine View Post

There's a lot wrong and missing in this version.

1. I can't find iTunes Radio. It still controls iTunes Radio if I start it from my computer, but there's no way to start it from my iPod Touch.

iTunes Radio is in the Music app, not the Remote app.  Open the Music App and you will find iTunes Radio, with all the stations you created.

• Reply 27 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

This app is great on the iPhone. But on the iPad? Holy shit. 

I don't understand. Does Apple not give a shit about their iPad apps anymore? Or any level of optimization? The app is buggy garbage on an iPad Air. Try to launch it, then rotate the screen. It cab barely manage a frame between rotations. Click settings on top right, and scroll through that short list. Stuttery and choppy as hell. On an A7, on a stock iPad Air. 

I'm not sure which possibility is worse: That the developers didn't do enough testing (by enough testing, I mean 30 seconds) to notice these obvious, consumer facing performance issues that are reminiscent of a pre-alpha product, or if they DID notice them, but decided to release the app anyway. It's not like there was some hard launch deadline- they could have taken any time that was needed to fix the issues and polish it a tad. This kind of shit is not what I expect from Apple- I know their standards are higher, which is why I have trouble getting my head around this. There's no excuse for the older version of this app running smooth as silk on an iPad 2, then being a choppy mess 3 generations later. Apple has been firing on all cylinders on the hardware/design/engineering front. On the software side? I'm noticing some things that are disconcerting. Hopefully it's temporary. 

• Reply 28 of 32
    qo_qo_ Posts: 37member
    @hillstones

One cannot enable streaming to multiple AirPlay speakers directly from an iOS device. This is why I'd want to see iTunes Radio supported in the Remote app.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I wish Apple would update the Keynote Remote app.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Great, now the remote app is just as ugly and dysfunctional as the rest of the iOS 7 core apps. See the menu bar at the top? It's extremely tiny and difficult to read, especially for people who wear glasses. See the gray text against a white background? Gray text against a white background is also difficult to read, and nothing short of idiotic. See the small static text underneath the buttons? This is also difficult to read for many people. See the iconography that looks like it belongs on the same page as my 4 year old's stick people? Absolutely hideous.

I can't say this enough times -- Jony Ive should be fired!
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Great, now the remote app is just as ugly and dysfunctional as the rest of the iOS 7 core apps. See the menu bar at the top? It's extremely tiny and difficult to read, especially for people who wear glasses. See the gray text against a white background? Gray text against a white background is also difficult to read, and nothing short of idiotic. See the small static text underneath the buttons? This is also difficult to read for many people. See the iconography that looks like it belongs on the same page as my 4 year old's stick people? Absolutely hideous.

• Reply 32 of 32
    Originally Posted by zBernie View Post

See the menu bar at the top? It's extremely tiny and difficult to read, especially for people who wear glasses. See the gray text against a white background? Gray text against a white background is also difficult to read

Settings/General/Accessibility/Bold Text.

Good for you. Apple doesn’t care. Nor do hundreds of millions of others.