Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Longtime Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is currently testing a new, large-format iPad with the purportedly king-sized device slated to debut next spring, according to a new report out of Mainland China.

iPad Air
Many believe the new iPad Air could be joined by a larger-screened sibling as soon as next year.

The tablet would sport a display diagonal of either 11.4 or 12.9 inches and is in an advanced stage of testing, according to Chinese tablet news site PadNews. The site says Apple could be targeting a March 2014 unveiling.

Rumors and predictions have been swirling around what many journalists have dubbed the "iPad maxi" for months. In July, the normally reliable Wall Street Journal got into the game, saying that sources indicated to the paper that Apple has prototyped a new category of iPad with a display "slightly less than 13 inches diagonally."

The Journal's report was followed in September by word from a different Chinese publication that Apple had a 12-inch iPad in the works with another old collaborator, Quanta Computer. Among others, Quanta has had a hand in manufacturing iPods and recent MacBook Air units for Apple.

Analysts also expect to see a scaled-up iPad. Following the unveiling of the 64-bit A7 chip in the iPhone 5s, Barclays Capital's Ben A. Reitzes made the case for a 13-inch iPad with a convertible clamshell form factor, saying that considerations for such a device may have spurred the seemingly early shift to a 64-bit architecture for iOS devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.

• Reply 2 of 77
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.

How is a 12inch tablet unusable?  It's just slightly larger than the current model.

A touchscreen laptop makes less sense.  You have a gesture track pad which covers the entire screen with small finger/hand movements rather than arm/hand/finger movement.

• Reply 3 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    icarbon wrote: »
    So that's why Tim Cook calls PC land confused, because Apple is going to copy them? :no:
  • Reply 4 of 77
    An iPad Pro that runs iOS and OS X apps on a touchscreen would totally rock.

Apple's long experience with cross-platform code compilation means such a device would be a game changer that would leave intel out of the picture...
  • Reply 5 of 77

First iPad Air, next iPad Pro...

• Reply 6 of 77

It has WSJ in it.

nothing to see here folks.

• Reply 7 of 77

Not likely, but I'd like to see a larger iPhone screen.

I'm finding it hard to browse websites on my iPhone5, they are too narrow in portrait mode and too shallow in landscape. I also despise the awkward navigation bars that disappear and appear when scrolling, not to mention the annoying controls that come up when I swipe upwards to scroll aarrrgh!

Since I got myself into this topic.  I'm also frustrated by iOS7's video player's large, intrusive, opaque play/pause controls yet tiny shuffle/volume sliders. Really Jony? What happened to the 44 pixel rule in Apple's Human Interface Guidelines?!

• Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

An iPad Pro that runs iOS and OS X apps on a touchscreen would totally rock.

Apple's long experience with cross-platform code compilation means such a device would be a game changer that would leave intel out of the picture...

OS X... not gonna happen (soon).   at least not in a 'my mother's iPad and Mac merging into one' pleasing sort of way (to my mother).

a VDI... for sure... that exists now.

The inverse will happen at least on a small scale.  A-Series chips will replace X86 (intel may still be in the picture... but not at the x86 premiums).  Changing the computer is a heckuva lot easier than changing the UX of OSX apps.

It's all about the expected interface.

• Reply 9 of 77
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Why else would the name the iPad the iPad Air.... Prolly because they have plans to use the iPad name for something else. I dont need a rumor to tell me the obvious.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

How is a 12inch tablet unusable?  It's just slightly larger than the current model.

A touchscreen laptop makes less sense.  You have a gesture track pad which covers the entire screen with small finger/hand movements rather than arm/hand/finger movement.

A 13" tablet with a keyboard cover and added multitasking capability is creeping into laptop territory. Will it be called iPad Pro?

• Reply 11 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

While I seriously doubt any rumor that appears this early, I'd snarf this up the first morning. About half of my iPad consumption is reading books. A larger size would allow me to push even more work to the iPad (VNC just doesn't cut it at current size.)

• Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disruption View Post

First iPad Air, next iPad Pro...

This is conceivable.

I think the MBA 11" is next on the chopping block (and the 13" Macbook Pro  nonRD).  

by 2015 I wouldn't be surprised to see

4" iphone 5s

6" iphone 6

8" iPad Mini RD

10" Ipad Air (rd)

12" Ipad Pro (rd)

13" MacBook Air

13" MacBook Pro (rd)

15" Macbook Pro (rd)

21" iMac

27" iMac

27" iMac Pro (4K)

Mac Mini 

Mac Pro  (4K)

27" Cinema Display (4K)

40" Cinema display (4K)

Apple TV 3 (4K)

This is a simple and compelling product swath

• Reply 13 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

12 inch screen

256 GB

Touch ID

AX7

$1099

At that cost, I'd expect more. Using Dropbox to xfer non-iCloud content sucks. USB would be enough.

• Reply 14 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

12 inch screen

256 GB

Touch ID

AX7

$1099

too much... 

12" 

128GB  (256GB  it too much for a company that is driving to a cloud storage model)

Touch ID

No more than $999... it will replace the MBA 11" in the price point range.

and 899 for a 64GB model.

Question would be would they build a 32GB model?  So you have .99(5c)  99(6c) 199((6c/6s)  299 (6s/Mini)  399(MiniRD,old Air 16) 499(new TouchID Air16) 599(New Air32) 699 (new Air64) 799(new air128/Pro32) 899(pro64) 999(pro 128) 1099 (MBA13/128)

This again is a compelling product swath with cross over points.   Apple will take whatever wad of cash you have and sell you something;-)

• Reply 15 of 77

I think a larger iPad would be harder to navigate and would therefore affect user experience.

The larger screen might be for a new laptop running an A7, A7s, or an A8 processor :)))

• Reply 16 of 77
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    Do people really think that Apple is going to no longer make a BootCamp / OSX compatible device in the 11" MBA size???
  • Reply 17 of 77
    OS X... not gonna happen (soon).   at least not in a 'my mother's iPad and Mac merging into one' pleasing sort of way (to my mother).
    a VDI... for sure... that exists now.

The inverse will happen at least on a small scale.  A-Series chips will replace X86 (intel may still be in the picture... but not at the x86 premiums).  Changing the computer is a heckuva lot easier than changing the UX of OSX apps.

It's all about the expected interface.

We already have a "virtual" iPad running in OS X in Xcode.

I'm thinking of a "Mac Pad Air" that is primarily an OS X device, but also running iOS apps, using one of apple's Ax processors.

Primary UI would be OS X, and then iOS apps could run in a window or zoom to full screen
    mode much like windows does in parallels.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    irun262 wrote: »
    Do people really think that Apple is going to no longer make a BootCamp / OSX compatible device in the 11" MBA size???

Apple would keep the "windows compatible" rMBP around for the suits, but would be perfectly happy to have the "coolest" iThing NOT windows compatible.

After all, windows is not "post-PC era" in Apple's eyes, it's old school. They'll drive any nail possible into its coffin.
  • Reply 19 of 77

I'm digg'n it! I could def. use a large iPad for one-on-one presentations and for just sitting on my couch.

Don't everyone get mad...

...but a friend of my is visiting and she has an old Kindle....it's got this pseudo soft suede backing on it. I would like something similar on the iPads. Wouldn't need to add a "thick" case.

I remember the first iPhone, it was like holding a bar of soap! :)

• Reply 20 of 77
    Does anyone else think they should call it the MaxiPad?