After on-stage showing at iPhone 5s debut, Nike+ Move app goes live

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The Nike+ Move app, which was first highlighted as part of Apple's iPhone 5s unveiling, has finally hit the iOS App Store, promising to turn the handset into an all-day activity tracker.

Nike

When Apple took the wraps off the iPhone 5s in September, it showed off a new chip dubbed the M7 motion coprocessor, which digests data from the phone's built-in sensors, by showcasing Nike's specially made Nike+ Move app. The title was made available for download on Monday.

According to Nike, the app harnesses data from the M7 chip to "capture your every move," turning the information into "Nike Fuel," a unit of measurement the company uses to track daily activity levels. Nike Fuel is used in a range of products, including the Nike FuelBand SE wearable fitness tracker.

From the release notes:
Nike+ Move offers insight into when you move, how you move and where you move - and lets you challenge your friends to see who moves more.
  • Win the day by beating your NikeFuel average and watch your goal ring change from Red to Green.
  • See when you are most active throughout the day and how you're doing compared to yesterday.
  • Move more often and win as many hours as you can throughout the day.
  • See how you moved through the day with a breakdown of running, walking, and other movement.
  • See where you're moving and where you move the most each day.
  • Check out how you compare against your Game Center friends or other Nike+ Move users near you.
Because the app takes advantage of the M7 motion coprocessor, compatibility is currently limited to the iPhone 5s.

A number of other developers have already tapped the M7's motion tracking prowess, as seen in AppleInsider's fitness app roundup, though Nike's app allows users to incorporate data generated by the iPhone 5s with other products in the expanding Nike+ ecosystem.

Nike+ Move is available as a free 8.8MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I feel a movement about to happen now...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I wonder how long before someone realizes the M7 can act as a sort of black box and tries to subpoena the data in it?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I feel a movement about to happen now...

In your bowels?

• Reply 4 of 7
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Sorry, Nike. Sorry, Apple. I'm not creating an account for you to track me.

Add the functionality to Mac OS X Server and then I'll consider it.

• Reply 5 of 7
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Agreed Cspro. It's a little too weird for me to volunteer to be tracked.

EDIT: Just signed in under an obscure name to check it out. The app asks for two permissions: 1) Permission to use M7 motion data; and 2) Permission to use your location information. I allowed the first but not the second and the app still works great. It just doesn't use the screen that maps your locations, which was the point! I gotta say, it's fun to see my movement add up. I must have a thick ego to get so prideful about some made up point system -- but it really does generate pride and a sense of competitiveness.
  • Reply 6 of 7

I can't wait for it to tell me I'm lazy...

• Reply 7 of 7
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I think this tech is going too far. I can understand, and use myself, the Running app from Nike, when I'm running, and like the stats that result from it. But that is a physical workout, not just moving about all day. That would be a normal thing, and not something needed tracking, right?