Google Now for iOS updated with notifications, reminders, improved voice search

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Looks fine on my Nokia 1020 and iPad Air, what mobile device are You using?
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Just tried for fun the following questions on Google Now and Siri:

1. What is a distance between Mars and Jupiter?

2. How old is Vladimir Putin?

3. When did Benjamin Franklin die?

4. When was Leo Tolstoy born?

5. Solve equation x squared minus 4 equals 0.

G. Now was able to answer only the 3rd one while Siri answered them all (1-4 with voice answer and the last 5th one only visually)

GNow answered all my questions via voice (and obviously text) except for #5. For #5 tt listed the answer to the equation on algebra.com

• Reply 23 of 37
    I just tried Google Now voice search and it answered all of the questions listed above except the last one but it gave me the link where I could find the answer and I speak with a Swiss accent, strange indeed. I still like it as it offers better web searches then Siri.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Considering that Google's apps are consistently rated high in best iOS apps and most downloaded lists, I'd venture to say that a lot of iPhone/iPad users care.

Yeah I agree with that, Google apps were the first I installed on my new iPad. I had to give up my Blackberry because I am on sick leave from work so I bought a Nokia 1020. The relevance is Nokia Maps is probably the best mapping service and driving GPS I have ever used on a mobile device so I had no use for Google Maps or Apple Maps for that matter. But I did install Google Earth because lets face it, it's a cool app on the iPad, it even runs better than on a Android tablet, irony.

• Reply 25 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    jason98 wrote: »
    Just tried for fun the following questions on Google Now and Siri:

1. What is a distance between Mars and Jupiter?
    2. How old is Vladimir Putin?
    3. When did Benjamin Franklin die?
    4. When was Leo Tolstoy born?
    5. Solve equation x squared minus 4 equals 0.

G. Now was able to answer only the 3rd one while Siri answered them all (1-4 with voice answer and the last 5th one only visually)
    Odd...
    On Google Now I get voice answers to each of the first four, and a visual for the last one.
  • Reply 26 of 37

Google Now is cool, I say, "Siri open Google Now", then, "Okay Google", "new Haswel Processors". This is very useful.

• Reply 27 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

What on earth are you talking about? I just tried all of these on Google Now and they were ALL answered aloud perfectly.

Google Now is twice as fast as Siri since it does the speech recognition in-app as opposed to sending it to servers. It's also decidedly more accurate, and the voice responses are dramatically more natural. To me, it's really the only killer Android feature. Having it on my iPhone 5S makes me quite happy.

Also, having my flight information automatically show up on the day of my flight is insanely useful. I would use Google Now just for that feature.

Google Now is remarkably fast, but in iOS7 Siri is no slouch either- the speed improvements have been massive. I just tried that list of Qs and I got perfect responses in one try, with the answer being pulled up in less than a second. Google Now may still be faster in some cases, but I would argue that speed isn't an issue anymore enough to be a differentiating factor. I'm also not sure about the "more natural" part- to be, it's the opposite, with Siri's new voice. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just like Apple's removal of Google services, Google is removing Microsoft services. The Gmail push was using Exchange. And also, let's not forget Apple is very well known for removing useful and popular features from their software, more so than any other company that I can think of.

Beyond your superficial comparison, the situations are significantly and deeply different. 

I'm not sure any reasonable person can argue that it would have made sense for Apple to continue to reply on Google, their biggest and most direct competitor, to be in control of one of their most important and used mobile apps. Google could have demanded anything, and Apple would have absolutely no leverage to say without having a mapping solution themselves. They would have been held hostage to Google's whims (advertising and whatnot) in every single place that maps are accessed, and that would have been utterly unacceptable, not to mention irresponsible. The transition may have been painful for some, but it was ABSOLUTELY necessary, no 2 ways around it. There's absolutely no way it could have shaken out so that Apple would not be at a massive disadvantage when continuing to reply on Google for their mapping. And now, there's the best of both worlds, with a Google Maps app available which is far superior to what there was before. 

As for exchange, I don't see how its the same situation at all. All it does it make it impossible for people to get gmail push using the built in mail program. Using Google's iOS app is not an option for me, as it's glitchy, and just plain sluggish. 

• Reply 28 of 37
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Been looking forward to this! Now I want an iOS 7 jailbreak and Nownow or Activator from Cydia, good times ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 37
    It's a nice update but I still prefer to use Siri. I just wish that Apple would let me choose which search engine I want to use for Siri.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    niteflier wrote: »
    It's a nice update but I still prefer to use Siri. I just wish that Apple would let me choose which search engine I want to use for Siri.
    Many AI members assured everyone that when Siri switched to Bing that Apple would allow the user to change the default (despite that going against how Apple usually does things). That's not the case?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Many AI members assured everyone that when Siri switched to Bing that Apple would allow the user to change the default (despite that going against how Apple usually does things). That's not the case?

Nope.

You can tell Siri "Google (whatever)" but as default , if you don't tell it to use google, you get...bing...shudder.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

Google Now is twice as fast as Siri since it does the speech recognition in-app as opposed to sending it to servers. It's also decidedly more accurate, and the voice responses are dramatically more natural. 

I think you are wrong on this one. Google performs speech recognition on its servers. They aren't investing in neural networks just to recognize cats. http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429442/google-puts-its-virtual-brain-technology-to-work/?a=f

• Reply 33 of 37
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    I think you are wrong on this one. Google performs speech recognition on its servers. They aren't investing in neural networks just to recognize cats. http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429442/google-puts-its-virtual-brain-technology-to-work/?a=f
    Bit of both, the voice to text conversion is done on device, the interpretation of the text and response is done by Google servers.
    You can voice dictate into any android app without Internet.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Just like Apple's removal of Google services, Google is removing Microsoft services. The Gmail push was using Exchange. And also, let's not forget Apple is very well known for removing useful and popular features from their software, more so than any other company that I can think of.

Beyond your superficial comparison, the situations are significantly and deeply different. 

I'm not sure any reasonable person can argue that it would have made sense for Apple to continue to reply on Google, their biggest and most direct competitor, to be in control of one of their most important and used mobile apps. Google could have demanded anything, and Apple would have absolutely no leverage to say without having a mapping solution themselves. They would have been held hostage to Google's whims (advertising and whatnot) in every single place that maps are accessed, and that would have been utterly unacceptable, not to mention irresponsible. The transition may have been painful for some, but it was ABSOLUTELY necessary, no 2 ways around it. There's absolutely no way it could have shaken out so that Apple would not be at a massive disadvantage when continuing to reply on Google for their mapping. And now, there's the best of both worlds, with a Google Maps app available which is far superior to what there was before. 

As for exchange, I don't see how its the same situation at all. All it does it make it impossible for people to get gmail push using the built in mail program. Using Google's iOS app is not an option for me, as it's glitchy, and just plain sluggish. 

Whatever. I could not care less about Maps vs Maps. My point is that Apple is just as likely to remove features as is Google and that Exchange is really ActiveSync which no one can get by from a patent standpoint. Apple pays MS for the licensing but Google decided that they only want to pay the fee for their commercial customers, not the free accounts

• Reply 35 of 37

it cant be use in China, it is funny

• Reply 36 of 37
    allenbf wrote: »
    Nope.

You can tell Siri "Google (whatever)" but as default , if you don't tell it to use google, you get...bing...shudder.

Interesting. It's widely thought that Steve Ballmer's replacement may spin off or sell both Bing and XBOX divisions (both massive money losers) at Microsoft after they take over. I'm thinking Alan Mulally (former Ford CEO) would be an excellent choice for them.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    relic wrote: »
    I just tried Google Now voice search and it answered all of the questions listed above except the last one but it gave me the link where I could find the answer and I speak with a Swiss accent, strange indeed. I still like it as it offers better web searches then Siri.

Google Now is apparently showing off some new tricks with an update next week. The biggest one would be the ability to ask questions to narrow results!

As Google explained it say you want to send your friend Ed a text. "OK Google, send Ed a text". Problem now might be there's more than one Ed in your contacts. With the update Google Now will simply ask, "Which Ed?" then ask if you'd like to dictate your text. It will also gain search within apps too as well as launch them. No idea if it's going to be KK only for now or available to all.