Philips announces new connected LED downlights, spot lights & Disney-branded StoryLight

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2014
Philips on Tuesday announced a new trio of bulbs joining its family of connected LED Hue bulbs: the BR30 downlight, GU10 spot light, and Disney Imaginative Lightning StoryLight.

Hue

The new Hue BR30 is designed for North American homes with ceiling downlights or flood lights. This allows the new Hue bulbs to be screwed into accent lighting, spot and downlight fixtures for more personalized lighting options.

Like the original A19 Hue bulbs, the BR30 model delivers over 16 million ways to color users' homes when controlled through Philips' official iPhone app. The BR30s also sport high-quality tunable white light with up to 80 percent energy savings when compared to traditional incandescent bulbs.

Its counterpart for Europe is the Hue G10 spot light, suitable for recessed spot light fixtures with depth over 85 millimeters.

The new bulbs can be bought individual to add to an existing system, or in a three-pack with a Hue bridge, which is required to connect and control the bulbs to a user's home wireless network.

Hue

Finally, Philips on Tuesday also announced a new expansion of the Hue lineup with Disney, branded StoryLight. The new bulb accessories features similar features to the recently released LivingColors Bloom accessory, which can be plugged in and placed anywhere without the need for a light socket.

StoryLight brings Hue into childrens' bedrooms and pairs up with a dedicated, separate application taht connects colored lights to the narrative of specially created Disney e-books.

"The future of light is digital, and building on our 122 years of heritage in lighting, we are leading the way by offering people a new way to experience light way beyond just 'on/off' or dimming that they've been used to until now," said Filip Jan Depauw, Senior Director, Philips Lighting.

"By expanding the hue family, both in terms of bulb types, availability and features, we want to give more people the opportunity to use light more actively and meaningfully in their everyday lives and to create personalized experiences which provide so much more - light that can actually enhance how you live. With hue we provide you with the tools to personalize your lighting just the way you want it and wherever you want it, so that now you really can light your life."

Philips Hue bulbs are available through Apple retail stores, Apple's website, and through authorized resellers such as Amazon. The BR30 downlights are now available for purchase in North America, while the GU10 spot lights are available in Europe. Philips Hue StoryLight is also available in North America, the U.K., Sweden, and the Netherlands.

Earlier this year, Philips also launched its new LightStrips lighting option, offering stick-able LED strips that do not require a standard light socket. The LightStrips come as a 6.6-foot LED strip that can be cut to size, and placed in unique locations with an adhesive backing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I wonder if these new lights will be able to render a half decent blue unlike the old ones and I also wonder if they did anything with the software because that was crap.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    These take some time to turn on which is really dumb. I think their CPU has to boot up before turning on the light. When they do come on, they are great but expect a second or two of darkness when you flip the switch.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

Since AppleInsider is not too keen on posting very many pictures...

http://www.slashgear.com/philips-hue-adds-br30-and-gu10-bulbs-plus-disney-storylight-05304202/

The Disney ones seem like they could sell very well.

• Reply 4 of 14
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

These take some time to turn on which is really dumb. I think their CPU has to boot up before turning on the light. When they do come on, they are great but expect a second or two of darkness when you flip the switch.

I thought you were supposed to leave the power applied to the bulbs at all times and control them via the app.

• Reply 5 of 14
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Somehow I don't think there will be a stampede of people ready to pay $200 for a 3-pack of light bulbs.

• Reply 6 of 14
    I wonder what new wattage these are for replacing,
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Somehow I don't think there will be a stampede of people ready to pay $200 for a 3-pack of light bulbs.
    At a estimated $70 a bulb when you can buy a 3 pack regular for $20, I guess x3 for led, and then another x2 for electronic making them worth $30 a piece but there not even as low as double worth.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    My wife just bought me the standard hue three pack. Other then the obvious (direct/indirect)has the technology and richness of the color increased? I could only find a few reviews with no comments. I can still exchange them. I love mine. I let my daughter set the lighting before she goes to bed. She gets a kick out of it and it gets things moving in terms of bed time.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I think you'd be shocked, actually. Lightbow has multiple users that have blown over $1,000 on their Hue setups, but the crazy part is, you can now do as much with Hue (assuming you buy a 3rd party app or two) as you can with some home automation setups that cost ten times as much. When the original iPod and iPhone came out, people complained about the price, but keep in mind there's a sizable early-adopter tech community. Hue is reasonably priced for what it is today, and next year when more competition (LIFX, ilumi, etc) hit the market, things will get cheaper. 

• Reply 9 of 14
    Not critiquing the content, but could we get at least a modicum of copy editing? "...features similar features...", "taht", etc. I understand about first drafts, but content should not be published without proof reading. Spelling and grammar errors take away from the story. Sorry for being didactic but I see these issues creeping into many places, not just AI.
    Be that as it may, I'm now waiting for my own text to be justifiably picked apart :-)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

While I agree with  you, because most people don't want to spend substantial money for light bulbs, it's penny-wise and pound-foolish.   Assuming that the BR30s last even longer than traditional BR30s, that can easily be 10 years.    I renovated my kitchen 20 years ago and I'm only on my second set of bulbs.

But more important than that, you have to look at the energy savings.    If you have 5 100 watt BR30s, let's say, in a kitchen that are on five hours a day, that's 2.5KW hours per day.   At about 35 cents per KW/hr delivered (which is what I have to pay in NYC) that's 87.5 cents per day or almost $320 per year.    With a 75% energy reduction (and they're claiming "up to 80%), you would save $239 per year using five bulbs.  Over ten years that $2390 or $478 per bulb, assuming they last that long.

• Reply 11 of 14

These are about beauty. The price seems reasonable if the colors they make really make one feel better. It goes beyond novelty. I've seen how an exact color can be chosen using an iOS device and these bulbs will duplicate it. The technology is amazing. I want a set.

• Reply 12 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

While I agree with  you, because most people don't want to spend substantial money for light bulbs, it's penny-wise and pound-foolish.   Assuming that the BR30s last even longer than traditional BR30s, that can easily be 10 years.    I renovated my kitchen 20 years ago and I'm only on my second set of bulbs.

But more important than that, you have to look at the energy savings.    If you have 5 100 watt BR30s, let's say, in a kitchen that are on five hours a day, that's 2.5KW hours per day.   At about 35 cents per KW/hr delivered (which is what I have to pay in NYC) that's 87.5 cents per day or almost $320 per year.    With a 75% energy reduction (and they're claiming "up to 80%), you would save $239 per year using five bulbs.  Over ten years that $2390 or $478 per bulb, assuming they last that long.

Excellent point that people tend to forget.   Not only do I want dimming capability but I also want to put bulbs in and know they're going to last long and save me money.  

After having my Hue now for 5 months I really couldn't go back to the old manual way of flicking light switches.   I'm ready to start building a Mac mini based Indigo system and lighting is first thing I want to maximize. 

Rumor has it that the next light will be the smaller MR10 size of which 4 are in an array on the ceiling above my Fireplace just waiting.   I love being able to switch between bright light with a blueish cast or a nice warm yellow.   Frankly unless you are throwing a party you won't really have a need for colors like Green, Purple and deep Blue.  They are nice to demo but I find so many other colors to be soothing. 

• Reply 13 of 14
    hi
  • Reply 14 of 14

We are one of cheapest LED retailers operating in Europe and are providing energy-efficient lighting solutions for the consumers. The spot lights can be bought individually which can be easily retrofitted with any lighting fixture or a ten-pack one.

Thanks for this post. Using LED spot lights is appropriate as it provides the perfect ambience and helps in accentuating the decor of one's place. Being Eco-friendly in nature, they are also helping in reducing the electricity bill.