Apple promises iWork toolbars, other legacy features will return within 6 months

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    zoolook wrote: »
    I am fine with them taking this approach, like they did with FCP. I am not fine with them removing iWork '09 and all traces and support of it, until they close the gap. They want people to use their software (which I do) but then I become dependent upon it and hit issues when the functionality vanishes. Back to Office 2011 for 6 months then I guess...
    Unless you deleted iwork 09 from your mac it's still there. If you just bought a new Mac grab a copy of iWork off of eBay or amazon. Simple
  • Reply 22 of 111
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Besides missing features, the other issue is the automatic file conversion when opening an older document. Apparently, older files are converted even if you just open them without making any changes. If you are just viewing a file, why should it be overwritten with the new format?

If you edit an older file, is there a warning that it will break compatibility with older versions of those apps? When editing an older file, it would be better to just retain the original format unless the user specifically chooses to change the format. But if making certain edits to a file requires upgrading the file format, should a warning be displayed?
  • Reply 23 of 111

And they removed them in the first place why????

• Reply 24 of 111
    pepechin wrote: »
    And, by the way.... who's the genius at Apple that is seriously thinking in parity between OSX-iOS versions?. Trying to use old Pages 09 power in the only-one-app little iPad screen is simply ridiculous.

What are you talking about? Everyone knows the iPad is a consumption device, not a creation device! /s
  • Reply 25 of 111
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I don't understand why they didn't clearly communicate this when they released the new version. They should have given power user's the heads up and/or had a beta phase. Duh. It isn't as if they haven't been through this before.

Power user and iWork in the same sentence?  Come on man.

98% of the population is fine with the old or new iWork- but power users?  It's laughable to say you were a "power user" who used iWork.

• Reply 26 of 111

What about linkable text fields in Pages??

I use and need this feature!

Please help me request this… a little later I guess.

I went to Apple's feedback page and get this nice message "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable".

I guess too many people went to further complain about their missing features.

I really hate this dumbing down of all the Apple apps.

• Reply 27 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

What are you talking about? Everyone knows the iPad is a consumption device, not a creation device! /s

I'm sure of that, but I'm not so sure that Apple boys knows it if they are selling iOS and iCloud parity with OSX.

As a matter of fact that is the origin of iWork 13 functionality slaughter

• Reply 28 of 111
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

This announcement is very good news! If they'd done it from the beginning, they could of avoided all the backlash.

• Reply 29 of 111
    Apple doesn't care about Pro users. /s
  • Reply 30 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And just as with Final Cut Pro X, the defense "it's a brand-new version" is Apple being treated differently.  Yes, it was receiving lots of complaints.  But the complaints were generally dismissed and are still being dismissed by the Apple defenders.  Would this happen for any other company?

Yes, it has happened for other companies. Such as the excuses and defensive posts made for Windows Phone 7/8, Surface RT/Pro and initial versions of Windows 8 by Microsoft fans. Again, what you claim is simply a figment of your imagination.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pepechin View Post

I'm sure of that, but I'm not so sure that Apple boys knows it if they are selling iOS and iCloud parity with OSX.

As a matter of fact that is the origin of iWork 13 functionality slaughter

You realize they were making a sarcastic post, right?

• Reply 31 of 111
    ash471 wrote: »
    I don't understand why they didn't clearly communicate this when they released the new version. They should have given power user's the heads up and/or had a beta phase. Duh. It isn't as if they haven't been through this before.

It preserved your older iWork apps -- so, no harm, no foul!
  • Reply 32 of 111
    In my opinion, the iWork'13 rollout was a fiasco of grander proprortions than last year's iOS Maps debacle (http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/).  I wonder who Tim will fire over this?  Eddy Cue is already gone....

Wrong... Wrong... and Wrong!
  • Reply 33 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Eddy Cue is already gone....

Since when exactly? Strange how Apple doesn't seem to know that he left the company...

• Reply 34 of 111
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I only use Office due to my profession so gladly I'm spared.
  • Reply 35 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    In my opinion, the iWork'13 rollout was a fiasco of grander proprortions than last year's iOS Maps debacle (http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/).  I wonder who Tim will fire over this?  Eddy Cue is already gone....
    I'm sorry but where did Eddy Cue go? Last time I checked he was still on Apple's exec page.
  • Reply 36 of 111

Yes, I apologize for my error.  I meant Richard Williamson, not Eddy Cue.  Thank you all for catching my error.  I have edited the OP to correct the name.

Quote Rogifan:

I'm sorry but where did Eddy Cue go? Last time I checked he was still on Apple's exec page.

Quote MikeJones:

Since when exactly? Strange how Apple doesn't seem to know that he left the company...

Quote Dick Applebaum:

Wrong... Wrong... and Wrong!

• Reply 37 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Who is Richard Williamson?
  • Reply 38 of 111

I think everyone is missing the big reason why they did this.  They are not just doing iWork for Mac and iOS, but also for the Web.

I can tell you first hand, doing any kind of editing of text, especially Rich Text, is not an easy thing to do on the web. I look at it this way, they are making this to be a direct competitor to Google and their Web Apps. If they continue to add these features that people are wanting to all three platforms of iWork, this is going to be the de facto office application, even over Microsoft Office.

Yes, it is bare now, but be patient, continue submitting feature requests, and it will get there.

• Reply 39 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Besides missing features, the other issue is the automatic file conversion when opening an older document. Apparently, older files are converted even if you just open them without making any changes. If you are just viewing a file, why should it be overwritten with the new format?

If you edit an older file, is there a warning that it will break compatibility with older versions of those apps? When editing an older file, it would be better to just retain the original format unless the user specifically chooses to change the format. But if making certain edits to a file requires upgrading the file format, should a warning be displayed?

I opened a file to see how it would look in the new Pages. Didn't save, didn't edit, just closed Pages and found out my file was automatically converted to the new Pages '13 file format. So when I deleted Pages'13 to go back to Pages'09, my file would not open. Need to go back to backups to get it now. There should be some kind of warning (there was none!!!) before automatically changing a file's format.

• Reply 40 of 111
    They have a nice brief of OS X but I think for most or some would benefit from a
    relaunch the "How To -" podcast for each app.