Fix for Mail problems in Apple's OS X Mavericks making its way through AppleSeed testing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple appears to be making progress with its upcoming fix for Mail in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, as the company distributed a build of the update to developers late Wednesday.

Mail

According to people familiar with the forthcoming update, Apple made the Mail Update for Mavericks available to developers outside of the AppleSeed community for further testing, the next step toward a public release.

Apple is asking developers to focus on three main areas with the latest build: Mail compatibility with Gmail, Mail smart mailboxes and Mail stability. A number of users have complained of issues with Mail after upgrading to OS X 10.9 Mavericks, though the company has been mum on the upcoming fix. More specifically, Apple clarifies that the update "improves stability and compatibility with Gmail, and includes fixes for users with custom Gmail settings."

The Mail update was first issued to AppleSeed members last week. At the time, sources said that along with Gmail compatibility, problems with Microsoft Exchange were also mentioned as an area of concern.

Users have taken to Apple's Support Communities forum to air their concerns about Mavericks Mail's many issues, with one of the largest threads, pertaining to Gmail folder behavior, now at over 20,500 views.

As with the AppleSeed version, Apple has not specified when the update will be made available for public consumption.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Are they going to re-instate the ability to email groups, just by typing the group name? This was lost in iOS too.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I really wonder what all the problems are between Mail and G-mail. I personally have had no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    When I send an email it says things like sending 14 of 14 in the progress bar even though I'm only sending 1.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    zaba wrote: »
    When I send an email it says things like sending 14 of 14 in the progress bar even though I'm only sending 1.

I see that a lot too, but I suspect it is syncing rather than 'sending' in those instances as you'll probably notice it seems to do it very fast, well it does for me.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    It's funny. I completely stopped using Outlook in the past month and switched completely to Apple Mail, iCal, and Contacts because of the Gmail problems with Outlook ("Too many simultaneous connections" error with Gmail after SP2 update"-- see thread on Microsoft Community dating since 4/2012).

Apple Mail has been mostly frustration-free, though I prefer Outlook's Calendar and Contacts functions. Outlook has even had problems lately with my @mac.com email and exchange accounts, which previously had been rock solid.

If Apple could add a larger, more obvious "Note" field in the Calendar appointments, I would not need to go back to Outlook.