Apple issues update to fix keyboard, trackpad bugs in latest 13" Retina MacBook Pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday afternoon issued an update for EFI firmware on late 2013 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros, designed to address a problem where the laptop's keyboard and trackpad could freeze.

MacBook Pro EFI Update

The issues surfaced days after the notebooks' release in late October, with users complaining of sporadic keyboard and trackpad freezes that could only be cured with a hard reset. Apple promised that a fix would be incoming a few days later.

According to the release notes, Thursday's update "addresses an issue where the built-in keyboard and Multi-Touch trackpad may become unresponsive." Users can download the update now from the Mac App Store.

AppleInsider reviewed the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display and found it to be a strong performer, particularly with Intel's latest Haswell processors and faster integrated Iris graphics. The new notebook also sports a slightly thinner chassis and lighter weight than last year's model.

Readers looking to get the best prices on Apple's latest Retina display toting MacBook Pros can compare resellers found in the official AppleInsider Mac Price Guide, portions of which are included below with special exclusive deals on AppleCare extended warranties.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Soooooo....they aren't doomed?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    For my new late-2013 15" retina MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, Software Update just offered me "MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update 1.2", which I installed. Since install, MBP has crashed twice (frozen screen/keyboard). Is anybody else having this problem?
  • Reply 3 of 10

I have the same problem with an iMac I recently purchased.  If I gently tap the left side of the space bar I can usually wake up my computer.  Do it too hard and I have to pull the plug and restart.  Anyone know if there's a fix out there for this?

• Reply 4 of 10
    Frankly, I'm tired that Apple is now acting as Microsoft does. Updates are incomplete or only partial updates. It is most annoying when there is a new iteration of OS X and we have to wait so long for what we already have come to expect. I for one don't think we should put up with such shoddy treatment from a company we rely on for the first and best that computing has to offer.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoshavoc View Post

Frankly, I'm tired that Apple is now acting as Microsoft does. Updates are incomplete or only partial updates. It is most annoying when there is a new iteration of OS X and we have to wait so long for what we already have come to expect. I for one don't think we should put up with such shoddy treatment from a company we rely on for the first and best that computing has to offer.

There's always been bugs with new hardware and software from Apple. Often more serious and widespread than this. Stop pretending it's something new. These machines were only released a couple weeks ago, and the issue has already been patched. 

• Reply 6 of 10
    Updated and things seem to be stable so far. Much better than the freezing once every hour it was before.
    Hopefully they will stay fixed.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    That's cool that articles about bug fixes are now including price guides. Cause that's the most obvious place to put a price guide.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I love apple. They make some of the best technology. They released a timely update, so don't be bad mouthing them. Most companies take forever to push an update out, which usually breaks some other piece of the firmware, and apple got their update out really fast, seeing how the MacBook Pro has only been out for a couple of weeks. You try making a computer and software for it and tell me you don't have bugs that you can't find until after you ship it. No ones perfect. But the only thing I don't get is this: if they test these products for months, how did one of the test subjects not freeze for them? But anyway apple is awesome. Be happy they have an update. Still weird how it didn't freeze for them when they tested it though.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

I installed on my 15" and everything fine — but then I had no problems before that. I must say I am incredibly happy with this new machine. It is smooth as silk.

• Reply 10 of 10
    I installed the update and it still happened to me yesterday...