Here are some pics for you...

First impressions:

- very small

- cool colour display

- really good sounding poly. ringing tones

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    looks like a cool little phone. what network are you on?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    The S55 has great features, and a nice aesthetic, if a bit fat-looking. The camera looks like a kluge, though I'd like to compare the quality on it to some of the other phone-camera-attachments out there (see <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com"; target="_blank">www.phonescoop.com</a> for a phone-cam review going over four competitors).

How much did it set you back over there?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    [quote] what network are you on? <hr></blockquote>

I'm a Vodafone customer

[quote] How much did it set you back over there? <hr></blockquote>

I paid 200 EUR (that is about $200)

I will go back to my new friend now...
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Wow, not bad pricing at all. I hope the native-U.S. pricing is close. I was expecting twice that. I wonder which provider is going to grab the first-year rights for that one.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    excuse my ignorance, but how does one know which phones work with which networks? i see people talk about the t68i, but would i have to have a certain service to use this phone? how does one keep track which phones go with which provider? Again, i know very little about this, i don't even have a mobile phone or anything like that (though i do have cable tv and the internet)
  • Reply 6 of 34
    It's like this.

There are different service technologies out there, different versions of the technologies, and for some of the technologies, different bands that they are in use on. Some examples of different digital phone service technologies:

GSM (800/850, 900, 1800,1900)

iDEN

TDMA

CDMA

CDMA2000

WCDMA

UMTS

Of course, in the U.S., only GSM 1900 is used, though Cingular is building out 800/850 coverage (who knows why they wanted to bring into use a fourth band of gsm). iDEN is a technology developed by Motorola and only in use by Nextel. GSM is actually based on the ideas set forth in TDMA, and AT&T has a network of both GSM and TDMA. Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, Qwest/USWest, Cricket, etc, all use CDMA or CDMA2000. WCDMA and UMTS are services that aren't even deployed in the U.S. yet, but set forth a brighter future for mobile communications.

Other terms you might hear are 2G, 2.5G, 3G.. this just describes the generation of different wireless technologies. 1G is analog. 2G is any PCS (digital == PCS) service for voice. 2.5G is any solution like GSM (digital) and GPRS (Global Packet Radio Service, a high-speed wireless internet connection), or EDGE (I forget the acronym, but it's the faster and better successor to GPRS that has not been deployed yet). 3G is a digital service where it's basically all data, and voice is just one application of it, rather than the other way around in terms of mainstream usage. UMTS/WCDMA are examples of this, some say EDGE as well but it's debatable from what I've read about that.

Anyway, phones are built for CDMA or GSM, pretty much, and GSM phones can be single-band, dual-band, tri-band, or quad-band (though there aren't any quad-bands yet). This is important if you go overseas. But unless you're dealing with a GSM service (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile are the giants), you don't have to worry if your phone will work. Sprint, Verizon, Cricket, etc, users can only use what their network (a) approves, (b) provides, and (c) enables. That is a big reason why CDMA sucks. With GSM, you stick your SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) into any GSM-capable phone, of which there are some amazingly cool phones out there, and it works, bam. You know it'll work with GSM.

Is there anything else I haven't covered?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Oh, yes. The Sony Ericsson T68i is a tri-band GSM phone (800/1800/1900MHz).
  • Reply 8 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>

Is there anything else I haven't covered?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you for the very informative answer to my question. I honestly can't even think of a follow-up, you covered it all thanks again, and hopefully this info clears up any confusion others might be having too (or was i the only confused one?)
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I'm very fond of my ME45, though I wish it played nicely with my Mac. Or maybe it does, and I just don't know how. Siemens tech support just flat out told me that they don't plan on supporting Macs.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by macrescue:

<strong>Here are some pics for you...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the excellent pics, macrescue! The comparison with the Apple Pro Mouse is especially useful. This is a very lovely Siemens phone. I just hope the S56 (US version) is as fully featured. Did you get a Bluetooth adapter? Have you tested your S55 with your Mac? Now that we have the pictures we need a review!

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 34
    I really like the S55 but would like to know how well it works with iSync. Have you tried synchronising it with iCal and Address Book?

thanks
  • Reply 12 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>Oh, yes. The Sony Ericsson T68i is a tri-band GSM phone (800/1800/1900MHz). </strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry to dig up an old thread here...but i'm looking at cell phones through ATT wireless right now, and can get the t68i for $100 through a promotion (yum!). However, it looks like ATT's GSM network is tiny! If i am outside of the small GSM area, am i SOL, or will this thing pick up TDMA too?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    And I'll piggyback onto the last question by asking WHERE can you look to find the roadmap for a company's planned GSM network expansions? Namely I'm looking to find out WHEN ***CINGULAR*** will land GSM in Atlanta.

And to repeat the question above mine, will it still have functionality with older networks? I think the answer is yes?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    I was looking at that lastnight. How is the reception? My T68 sucked.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    after much deliberation, i decided against the t68i. review after review said the reception was bad, and i travel a lot so i might be in places where the phone needs some strength. i also decided against AT&T and went with T-Mobile. I did this because AT&T's GSM network is tiny! Most of their network is still TDMA, which is crap compared to GSM. T-Mobile has a very mature GSM network that goes where i need to be. Plus, through amazon, you can get any phone almost free after rebate! This includes T68i, Motorola V70 (my choice) and other nice phones.

hopefully i'll be satisfied with the V70 and T-Mobile
  • Reply 16 of 34
    I've been with Voicestream (T-Mobile) for about four years now and the service has been getting better every year. If I have a signal it is crystal clear, but there is no in between. I either have a signal or not.

I got a Samsung S105 a while back and I have been very happy with it. The only thing that it doesn't have is Bluetooth and MMS. Both of which are absent in the V.70.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Slotracer152:

<strong>I've been with Voicestream (T-Mobile) for about four years now and the service has been getting better every year. If I have a signal it is crystal clear, but there is no in between. I either have a signal or not.

I got a Samsung S105 a while back and I have been very happy with it. The only thing that it doesn't have is Bluetooth and MMS. Both of which are absent in the V.70.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's MMS? Honestly, the only reason i got the V70 is because it is tiny and looks cool in an odd kind of way
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Some sort of really cool messages that you can't send because all of your friends still have Nokia 5100s.

Anybody know if iSync sees the S55?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Slotracer152:

<strong>Some sort of really cool messages that you can't send because all of your friends still have Nokia 5100s.

Anybody know if iSync sees the S55?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Compatible mobile phones with iSync:

Sony Ericsson T68i

Ericsson R520

Ericsson T39

Ericsson T68

Ericsson T68c

Ericsson T68m

Sorry
  • Reply 20 of 34
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>Sorry </strong><hr></blockquote>

That really sucks. Apple now has shipped its first hardware with built-in Bluetooth (the new PowerBooks) and more and more phones are shipping with Bluetooth and SyncML functionality. I sure hope that Apple will broaden BT support with OS X 10.2.4! They would be fools not to do so.

Escher