Apple updates Mavericks to bring Gmail stability fixes for Mail app

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple continued Thursday's update parade with fixes for compatibility and stability problems that have plagued users who access Gmail accounts using Mail.app in Mavericks.

Mavericks Mail Update

The update, which was seen in final testing just a few hours ago, addresses problems with deleting, moving, and archiving messages, as well as a bug that could cause the application's "unread mail" count to be inaccurate.

Alongside the update comes a slightly more detailed set of instructions than are usually provided with small updates of this nature. Apple urges users to back up their systems with Time Machine prior to installing the update and warns that they "may experience unexpected results if [users] have third-party system software modifications installed, or if [they have] modified the operating system through other means."

Users began complaining about the Gmail-centric issues almost as soon as Mavericks was released last month, with one thread on Apple's user-to-user support forums garnering more than 20,000 views and nearly 150 replies.

The patch is available now as a 34-megabyte download from the Mac App Store or via Apple's Support Downloads site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I never did get an update as a developer ... but at least I have it now.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Noticed today. Hope this update fixes it:
    Google servers refuse to accept "Numbers" attachments (haven't tried with pages ones) as email attachments. Mail app bounces them back as refused by the server (besides the "backups issue" plaguing mail app.

Apple: go and fix it ASAP. Between this and the dumbing down of iWork for OSX you don't have a winner here (of course one might argue that for zero dollars that can be bearable, but, as a long time with an iPhone 5 and the latest MBP 17", I had to pay... So I have the right to complain :-) )
  • Reply 3 of 54
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    The new iWorks is not a dumb down though. It installs side by side with the old iWorks. It's a start of a new chapter so to speak. In due time, it will be more powerful and already easier to use than the old one.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

The new iWorks is not a dumb down though. It installs side by side with the old iWorks. It's a start of a new chapter so to speak. In due time, it will be more powerful and already easier to use than the old one.

Except when you open a file, it automatically updates the file version format and saves it without ever asking permission.

• Reply 5 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

People still use Gmail? :wow:

I got rid of that shitty service years ago. 

• Reply 6 of 54
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Except when you open a file, it automatically updates the file version format and saves it without ever asking permission.

Read Apple's tech note. You can revert to the old format by choosing a "Revert" from the menu.

Now that people know about the auto-convert, just keep or tag the files differently.

My previous post simply point out that the new iWorks is not necessarily a dumbdown. It will evolve into something on par with or better than the old iWorks.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I was just browsing away on my system and then all of a sudden by Mail app quits and restarts and I didn't have any warning that I was actually downloading a new app version. It was weird.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Download of update complete. Install complete. Mail still not responding.
  • Reply 9 of 54

Good, although I don't use gmail.

Now Apple please fix Finder window "view options," the settings just won't stick after shutdown!

• Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I was just browsing away on my system and then all of a sudden by Mail app quits and restarts and I didn't have any warning that I was actually downloading a new app version. It was weird.

Well you should have disabled the setting so the App Store won't download and install automatically. There's nothing weird about it!

• Reply 11 of 54
    patsu wrote: »

Read Apple's tech note. You can revert to the old format by choosing a "Revert" from the menu.

Now that people know about the auto-convert, just keep or tag the files differently.

My previous post simply point out that the new iWorks is not necessarily a dumbdown. It will evolve into something on par with or better than the old iWorks.

It's stupid on Apple's part to assume that most users will just figure this out easily. Any important changes affecting workflow -- including ing the previous dumb system of backups -- should have been made more clear.

Apple's attitude increasingly seems to be, 'they'll figure it out.'
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Google is now forcing you to update to Google+ with their YouTube BS and it's just AWFUL. I mean, it's getting to the point where YouTube SUCKS even MORE.  It's just AWFUL.

I'm convinced that Google doesn't know how to write software that makes my life easier.  It's just a JOKE.

I think Google is handing out LSD spiked bottled water to their employees and developers.  I'm 100% convinced.

It's either that or they just hire STUPID FREAKING IDIOTS.

• Reply 13 of 54
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

People still use PC's for email?

I got rid of that shitty idea years ago, it's so much easier on an iPhone or iPad.

I only ever really used gmail since 2004, as an experiment to see if spam could catch up to the daily inbox increase.

It didn't in spite of using that address for every site that asked for a registration email.

It keeps my "real" email addresses free for more important stuff.

The only place I am signed onto anything Google is the mail App on my iPhone, my MacBook and iPad are as Google free as I could make them, with little snitch and noscript blocking every attempt (and there are a lot of them) by Google to gain access and get me to sign up to Google + and no Google Apps installed at all.

My Galaxy S4 I set up with a new made up account, I think that has Google + but I never bothered checking, I don't use that almost useless piece of junk much anyway.

• Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:

Google is now forcing you to update to Google+ with their YouTube BS and it's just AWFUL. I mean, it's getting to the point where YouTube SUCKS even MORE.  It's just AWFUL.

I'm convinced that Google doesn't know how to write software that makes my life easier.  It's just a JOKE.

I think Google is handing out LSD spiked bottled water to their employees and developers.  I'm 100% convinced.

Hey Google + now has 500 million users, cajoled and forced into signing on.

I wonder how many actually use it?

I know I don't although my S4 automatically uploads photo's and these strange notifications pop up from time to time, telling me how long it will take to get home, to a nearby business or some other totally random location.

• Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey Google + now has 500 million users, cajoled and forced into signing on.

I wonder how many actually use it?

Well, I don't think I actually use it the way they want me to use it.  I think it's just a FREAKING MESS.

It's too bad we can't lodge some selective missiles on the person (or people) that came up with this mess.  If I was Apple, I wouldn't hire anyone that was part of this from a management standpoint.    If you interview anyone from Google for a job, ask them if they were part of the decision making process for Google+ and YouTube, if they say they were, then simply cross them off the list of potential employees.

They took what was a relatively simple concept, and just added so much useless crap and it's just doesn't work better in any way from the previous way it was designed.  It's just AWFUL.

Compared to Facebook, which is AWFUL, Google+ gets the award for the most confusing and ridiculously bad archecture and implementation of code ever written for the internet.

I wonder how many of their Android users truthfully like it.

• Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

People still use PC's for email?

I got rid of that shitty idea years ago, it's so much easier on an iPhone or iPad.

I only ever really used gmail since 2004, as an experiment to see if spam could catch up to the daily inbox increase.

It didn't in spite of using that address for every site that asked for a registration email.

It keeps my "real" email addresses free for more important stuff.

The only place I am signed onto anything Google is the mail App on my iPhone, my MacBook and iPad are as Google free as I could make them, with little snitch and noscript blocking every attempt (and there are a lot of them) by Google to gain access and get me to sign up to Google + and no Google Apps installed at all.

My Galaxy S4 I set up with a new made up account, I think that has Google + but I never bothered checking, I don't use that almost useless piece of junk much anyway.

Yeah, I have a bigger screen and I can type a LOT faster and view a LOT more on a 27inch monitor than on a mobile device.  

• Reply 17 of 54
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Does this update bring native support for Gmail's labels?

The folder paradigm (one location per file) is so limiting.

I honestly prefer the simplicity of Apple's software but even the flag button iOS interface only lets you "mark as unread" or "move to junk" rather than apply a flag ("star" in Gmail) or label, which should be the logical function of that button.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    I updated and still have this problem w/mail but it was never a gmail exclusive problem.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Does this update bring native support for Gmail's labels?

The folder paradigm (one location per file) is so limiting.

I honestly prefer the simplicity of Apple's software but even the flag button iOS interface only lets you "mark as unread" or "move to junk" rather than apply a flag ("star" in Gmail) or label, which should be the logical function of that button.

I prefer Exchange Activsync, which suddenly stopped working unless you pay Google for a business account.

• Reply 20 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

What better way to get people to use a shitty service nobody used before like Google+ by forcing people to use it. If you want people to use it, make them want to use it, don't force them to. Its like force feeding a child spinach...they're not going to all of a sudden like it because you keep forcing them to eat it. 

I'm think Google has lost their way. They can't execute on anything properly and the things they did in the past, they're completely ruining those projects by doing stupid shit. To think they're even relevant is amazing to me at this point. I hope Apple never gets back to this point and sticks to its guns.