Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A rumor out of the Far East claims issues relating to burn-in on Sharp-made LCD panels is holding up Apple's release of the iPad mini with Retina display, supposedly prompting the company to seek help from Samsung.

iPad mini

Citing an industry source, Korean language publication ETNews claims Apple partner manufacturer Sharp is having problems with its advanced IGZO display technology, causing low yield rates for Retina panels bound for the second-generation iPad mini. This unforeseen setback is purportedly slowing down the production process substantially, leading Apple to look elsewhere for additional supply.

Supposedly at fault are malfunctions relating to Sharp's thin-film transistor, or TFT, implementation, which is causing burn-in on an unknown percentage of produced displays. The Japanese firm is said to be employing low-power IGZO display technology, so named because it uses semiconductor material indium gallium zinc oxide for the LCD's TFT backplane.

The source went on to say that although Sharp's LCD burn-in is not visible to the naked eye, the panels cannot be used due to Apple's strict Retina display standards.

While Sharp is thought to be Apple's secondary Retina display supplier for the new mini, the company is reportedly responsible for 40 percent of all orders, with LG taking the remaining 60 percent. According to the report, LG is using a different, more common substrate called amorphous silicon, or a-Si, for its TFTs.

Apple may be looking to Samsung for display supply for the Retina mini starting in 2014, as the Korean tech giant's low temperature polycrystalline silicon (LTPS) technology is not affected by the burn-in issue, the source said.

Thursday's rumor echoes a report from last week, which also claimed Apple was eyeing a Samsung deal due to Sharp's panel yield issues. That account, however, added that LG is also experiencing problems with its version of the high-resolution screen, quoting a DisplaySearch analyst as saying the display maker was "not close to full production."

Apple announced the iPad mini with Retina display in October alongside the recently-released iPad Air. The full-size tablet started shipping last week, but Apple has yet to disclose a sell-by date for the mini, but promises the tablet will hit store shelves in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    Running back to daddy...
  • Reply 2 of 104
    Unlikely

I doubt Samsung could match the low prices of that other technology.
  • Reply 3 of 104
    well, aside from the confirmation of the IGZO display, which had long been speculated throughout the year, and quite obvious especially after the launch of ipad air, the rest of it already isn't news anymore.. the back to samsung part was also reported weeks ago
  • Reply 4 of 104
    emrulemrul Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Running back to daddy...

LOL. I seriously think Samsung and Apple will be stronger if they can get along.  All it will take is for Samsung to license Apple's IP the same way Microsoft did.  I think the same about Apple & Google too - Google software & services like Google Now are far more impressive than what Apple comes up with.

• Reply 5 of 104
    I stopped reading here: "Citing an industry source, Korean language publication ETNews claims Apple partner manufacturer Sharp is having problems ..."
  • Reply 6 of 104
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Running back to daddy...

Ah, yes.

Daddy, the innovative creator of the initial personal computer for the masses, the modern GUI, the mouse, numerous interface standards, the modern MP3 player, the current digital music industry, the best retail experiences in the world, not to mention the best customer service in the world, a company responsible for ALL of today's smartphones, cool, stylish computers for the masses, and the modern tablet industry.

Yeah, "Daddy" has been responsible for a lot of Apple's success.
  • Reply 7 of 104

Bullshit

• Reply 8 of 104
    "The source went on to say that although Sharp's LCD burn-in is not visible to the naked eye, the panels cannot be used due to Apple's strict Retina display standards.
    "

If the human eye cannot detect it; it good enough for the consumer. Let the display production go forward!
  • Reply 9 of 104
    The source went on to say that although Sharp's LCD burn-in is not visible to the naked eye, the panels cannot be used due to Apple's strict Retina display standards.

Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    You know; the White and Silver model does appeal to me now! I may switch my purchase from the Black and Space Gray! White is now for me more sophisticated! LOL!
  • Reply 11 of 104
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    This rumour is completely out of touch with manufacturing knowledge, to the point that it is laughable.

"Oops a meddling percent of our displays suffer burn-in", is not the kind of problem that pops up at the 11th hour. Even if such an obvious problem was encountered it would have been apparent during development testing many many months ago.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    Sounds fake to me! Next!
  • Reply 13 of 104
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    The launch has been burned into my brain since way before it was announced. I have no issue with that except having to wait!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 104
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Unlikely

I doubt Samsung <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">could</span> <em>would</em> match the low prices of that other technology.
    Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    Fast east = lie , the most bullshit rumors are most likely from fast east .
  • Reply 16 of 104
    Numbers wrong... Sharp was 60% and LG was 40% - and it was reported that LG, not Sharp, was having major production issues just a few weeks ago.. and LG, not Sharp, has a reputation for LED Image burn-in. IGZO doesn't tend to have that issue.. So if there are production issues, I tend to believe it's LG, sense they are not using IGZO.. Thats a Sharp technology.

Soooo.. as rumors go.. This one I'd put on the not likely category.. or at the very least, the facts are all jumbled. It's almost like they got the names LG and Sharp swapped around..

Look at the Retina MBP history.. tons of LG screens in the last gen and current generation rMBP have burn in issues. :smokey:
  • Reply 17 of 104

For you it's running back to mama!

• Reply 18 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously guys if they can source screens for the Air, the iPhone, touch and whatever why would the Mini have a problem? Yeah I know it's higher resolution but such screens already exist in the market place. I still think the delay has to be something else.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    corvus wrote: »
    Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.

You expect us to believe you've seen all of those firsthand? At least when you make dumb comments- try to make them slightly believable instead of all encompassing.
  • Reply 20 of 104

APPLE DOES NOT OWN THE PRIMARY TECHNOLOGY - DISPLAYS.