Apple updates Mavericks to bring Gmail stability fixes for Mail app

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54

Its really a Beautiful leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://ow.ly/qcd9o

• Reply 42 of 54

Its really a Beautiful leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=74927435125888866319.jpg

• Reply 43 of 54

It's amazing IPhone 6 picture definitely apple would reach another 2$billion dollars

• Reply 44 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Can the protocol be updated?

Absolutely. Have at it! Get the ball rolling. Talk Google into giving up their proprietary rights. Then get the web standards association to sign off. Then get all the various vendors, like Apple, to support it. Piece of cake!

• Reply 45 of 54
    Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

Google servers refuse to accept Numbers attachments

Apple: go and fix it ASAP.

Yeah, see, here’s the thing. Apple isn’t Google. Apple has no control over Google’s servers. Apple can do nothing to change Google’s servers. Apple cannot fix this, nor is it their responsibility to do so. 

So I have no right to complain.

Fixed.

• Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Can the protocol be updated?

Folders are basically a labelling system where the maximum number of labels per file is one. When you move an file between folders it's analogous to applying a new label which erases the previous label. Far better to keep all content in one "All Mail" bucket and allow multiple labels to be removed/applied at will. For instance an email might be a shared utility bill in which case you might wish to mark it both "paid" and "follow up" to remind you to get half the money back from your flatmate. If you can only apply one of those labels you need to track this information elsewhere, like in a notebook, and then you lose the immediate link to the information at hand.

I was thinking a BETTER system would be a meta-tag technique that Apple's Aperture uses fairly well. Describing Folders as a "tag system of one" is really a great way to get across how sometimes you can't really organize just in hierarchical folders. What's useful is if you can save "groups" of common meta information + search, so you can search for Friends - Family, or for Business Associates + Local.

But it depends upon a reliable meta-tagging system and a way to keep searches without making the get too specific such that people never see an important message based on something obscure or a technicality. And in most cases with email, there's going to be the type of relationship based on that email with the user, the words in the title, and some natural language approach to the content as computers get better at understanding content.

• Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

All this sideline bickering is fascinating, but has anyone actually used the update and can say whether it has fixed the Gmail glitch?

Yes, just completed the migration of my entire Mail folder (from Mail/SnowLeo) without a glitch.

For precaution, I followed this method:

- created a copy of the source Mail folder on an external drive and a symbolik-link of it

- In Mavericks, deleted the original "Mail" folder in my user/library and moved the symbolic-link in it

- started Mail in Maverick: after a while I got the exact copy of the source Mail in the new Mail/V2

with all the account settings in Mavericks' Mail, perfectly working.

• Reply 48 of 54
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google is now forcing you to update to Google+ with their YouTube BS and it's just AWFUL. 

You only need Google+ if you want to comment, and YouTube comments are so universally horrible that I'd have to be paid to look at them for more than a few seconds. Anything that slows that torrent of awfulness is fine by me. 

• Reply 50 of 54
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

You only need Google+ if you want to comment, and YouTube comments are so universally horrible that I'd have to be paid to look at them for more than a few seconds. Anything that slows that torrent of awfulness is fine by me. 

I'm still trying to find a decent amount of videos where the people actually know what they are talking about.   Some of them are rants about something else, but then the proceed to know pretty much NOTHING about the subject they are talking about.  And they won't admit it.  They resort to retorting back with silly cliche statements to make an attempt to put someone down that doesn't like their video.

• Reply 51 of 54
    This update does not resolve the issues with gMail. If you use Mailbox app on Iphone (inbox zero) Mail still is not 'compatible'.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I don't who fixed what, but I used to get Java errors and the active window when using this site would crash (but not the entire app, just the active window) on this site, but it doesn't do that anymore.  I had to disable Java in Safari, but I'm using it now with Java enabled and no more window crashes and Java error messages.

• Reply 53 of 54
    I have no idea what Apple is smoking these days, but Mavericks is still a disaster with Mail.app and Gmail. The problem is that there is no way to delete the newly created Archive folder. Now, I have to delete each email three times -- once from my inbox, once from my Archive folder, and once from the trash folder. I hate Mavericks and wish I could back migrate.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Originally Posted by joelovesapple View Post

I have no idea what Apple is smoking these days, but Mavericks is still a disaster with Mail.app and Gmail. The problem is that there is no way to delete the newly created Archive folder. Now, I have to delete each email three times -- once from my inbox, once from my Archive folder, and once from the trash folder. I hate Mavericks and wish I could back migrate.

Sounds more like you should stop using Gmail.