Google Drive and SugarSync cloud storage iOS apps updated with new features

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Two popular options for storing, sharing, and synchronizing files across devices received an update Thursday, with Google Drive gaining support for multiple accounts and AirPrint and SugarSync bringing automatic photo backup alongside music and video streaming.

Google Drive

Google Drive

Users with multiple Google accounts, such as those who have both a personal Gmail account and a Google Apps account through their employer, can now easily switch between their various logins in the latest Google Drive. Like the recent Google Search app update, users with more than one Google iOS app will also be able to take advantage of an easier single sign-on process.

Additionally, the latest version of Google Drive enables support for Apple's AirPrint local wireless printing protocol and Google's Cloud Print internet-based printing service.

Google Drive version 2.1.0 is available now as a free 24MB download from the App Store.

SugarSync

SugarSync

SugarSync borrows a page from competitor Dropbox in its newest update, offering to automatically upload photos from a user's camera roll. Photos can then be shared or accessed on any of the user's other SugarSync-enabled devices.

Users who previously complained about the lack of granular sync status information will be glad to see that folders in the mobile app now reflect their individual status, with icons similar to those found in SugarSync's desktop client.

Finally, video and music files can now be played before they have finished downloading, a welcome sight for users on slower data connections.

SugarSync bumps the version number up to 4.1.0 and can be had as a free 6MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?hl=en
    rickfaced wrote: »
    I really like the multiple account switching feature of Google Drive. It would be nice if the services offered higher storage like Copy does. https://copy.com
  • Reply 2 of 16
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

I really like the multiple account switching feature of Google Drive. It would be nice if the services offered higher storage like Copy does. https://copy.com?r=YjTxeO

Unusual URL there. Trying for some bonus storage?

• Reply 3 of 16
    When will iCloud start to offer some these basic functionalities? At a minimum, the ability to upload any file I want (including Office documents)?

It is distressing that with its networked software offerings, Apple's history has been consistently one of "we're almost there, we're almost there, stay with us." And, like an idiot, I do.

:\
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

When will iCloud start to offer some these basic functionalities? At a minimum, the ability to upload any file I want (including Office documents)?

Do you accept that Apple has absolutely no intention of letting you see a filesystem ever again?

If so, you know when this’ll happen.

• Reply 5 of 16
    rickfaced wrote: »

Perhaps Apple is waiting to build their server sites for scalability before increasing storage for customers. If I'm not mistaken, they currently rely on Microsofts service for storage.

I'm hoping this happens soon, 5 gigs can be filled quite easily. Just yesterday, I cleaned up my iWorks documents and found the new universal file format double in size of the previous.

Perhaps. But I doubt it.

Add: I could be wrong, but I thought they relied on Amazon?
  • Reply 6 of 16

Do you accept that Apple has absolutely no intention of letting you see a filesystem ever again?

I am sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean. What is OSX, then?
  • Reply 7 of 16

What is OSX, then?

Not iCloud, not iOS, and not the future. OS XI will be dictated by tags, not folder trees.

We… were talking specifically about iCloud, right? :\

• Reply 8 of 16
    Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

Correct. However OS X currently solved the need for deeper hierarchy nesting folders. One thing that is still missing is tags in iOS.

Apple treats iOS and OS X as two sides of a pendulum. What’s done in one eventually swings back to the other.

• Reply 9 of 16
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Has SugarSync resolved a problem of a safely syncing Mac packages/bundles - Keynote files and such? 

• Reply 10 of 16
    aoa1aoa1 Posts: 28member

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

iPad Air EXPLODES INTO FIREBALL as terrified fanbois flee Apple Store 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 11 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you accept that Appleimage has absolutely no intention of letting you see a filesystem ever again?

I was hacked!

• Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

I am sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean. What is OSX, then?

Thing of the past.

• Reply 13 of 16
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

NO and your right, never. Yaaay for featureless computing by Apple, 70% of buyers don't need it because their consuming drones who don't want to learn about computers and especially don't know any better so why bother with the rest, they can go to hell and buy something else.

Okay, do you see this, too? Does it show up in my original post for you (doesn't for me)? Is there adware on my computer?!

• Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, do you see this, too? Does it show up in my original post for you (doesn't for me)? Is there adware on my computer?!

Yeah, I see it on mine to, I swear I'm not spamming you. Nor did I write that! I swear that wasn't me. I'm being an A-hole today but not like that.

• Reply 15 of 16
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yeah, I see it on mine to, I swear I'm not spamming you. Nor did I write that!

I'm seeing it on other posts now, and since we both see it, so I guess it's... a function of AI? That's disgusting. It doesn't do anything when I hover or click, but it looks like the trash you see on those ad-whoring websites. Why can I see it here (on my laptop, which I'm using for the first time in months) but nowhere else? Must be blocked by my adblocker elsewhere. And good for that, at least.