Microsoft counters Apple's free iWork suite by bolstering its Office Web Apps

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

You have a strange definition of "removed." To "remove" is, according to the Mac dictionary, "to eliminate or get rid of". Some features that were present in Pages 4.3 (which is no longer available for download) are no longer there in Pages 5. A new Mac user looking to link text boxes in Pages will likely google how to do this, and will find out Pages used to be able to do this but not anymore. To that user, the ability to link text boxes has certainly been removed.

they didn't eliminate the features.

they just postponed the release of those features later.

• Reply 102 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bananaman wrote: »

"We plan to reintroduce some of these features....".
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049
  • Reply 103 of 120
    iWork's competition is not Office 365 (or vice versa). The real competition for both is Google Docs.
  • Reply 104 of 120
    Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Office and iwork dont compete against each other. Its like comparing a toy truck and a big rig.

I don’t think that’s fair; Office can do a little more than a toy truck.

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Real artists ship.

Isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top…

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

AND A MORE AFFORDABLE iMAC for the LOVE OF GOD.

What is “saving your money", Alex.

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

The free iWork is a crippled version, just like all the other "free" trial software.  Hope Apple can provide the free "full" version in Apr next year or I have to go back to MSO.

There is no free iWork. I don’t get it; the suite is paid. It’s not crippled, and it’s paid.

• Reply 105 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"... in the next few release and will continue to add features on an ongoing basis."

complete the sentence.

• Reply 106 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t think that’s fair; Office can do a little more than a toy truck.

Isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top…

What is “saving your money", Alex.

There is no free iWork. I don’t get it; the suite is paid. It’s not crippled, and it’s paid.

did you come off your ban to make this post and then get banned again or something?

• Reply 107 of 120
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I thought MS didn't see iWork as a threat?

After all, isn't Office supposed to be MS' core business?

Exactly. I'd like to see them go all the way. Let's see them give Office and Windows away for free and wait for the noise of a drain emptying ...
  • Reply 108 of 120
    gatorguy wrote: »
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049

You guys are quibbling over semantics. Since day one I was saying all features would be brought 'up to speed' and possibly beyond. The initial ... and let's not forget 'free' versions were a rewrite to introduce cross device collaboration. For whatever reason (and we can all make several good guesses) Apple had to release before it was all finished. For free software it is pretty amazing and most of us still have the older versions too.

I used Google docs in the early days and gave up after so many changes I was driven nuts. Microsoft Office is famous for versions that couldn't even open earlier version's data.

Need I go on? :D
  • Reply 109 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

They did both, at least according to the usage of "eliminate" that I'm familiar with, which refers to the present, not the future. The definition of "eliminate" or "remove" doesn't specify whether the non-presence of something is required to be temporary or permanent. At any rate, the point is that the features are no longer there in Pages 5. Apple may have plans to bring some of them back later (I didn't see text box linking in that list). But the end user doesn't see or care about Apple's internal plans for future products; all he sees is that the features that were there in Pages 4.3 are no longer there in the latest version. 

• Reply 110 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bananaman wrote: »
    "... in the next few release and will continue to add features on an ongoing basis."
    complete the sentence.

Well then quote it correctly rather than making up your own sentence.
    "We plan to reintroduce some of these features in the next few releases and will continue to add brand new features on an ongoing basis."

That would imply some of the old features will not be returning, and perhaps that's even a good thing. Yes it's semantics but that's all you've been using for the past few posts.
  • Reply 111 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Want office?  Get Scrivener if  you're serious about your writing.  Office is pure bloat. 

Hmm... my copy of Office for Mac is 672 MB for the whole suite, about the same size (I believe) as Pages 5.0 alone, and Pages doesn't do nearly as much. So which one is bloated?

I like Pages (so far I like the '09 version better) but I wouldn't call Office 'pure bloat'.

• Reply 112 of 120
    Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

did you come off your ban to make this post and then get banned again or something?

In Huddler, temporary bans lift based on their exact periods of time (three day ban lifts 72 hours after it was enacted), but the user tag stays until the calendar day is over. Yet another of the bugs they should fix.

• Reply 113 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well then quote it correctly rather than making up your own sentence.

"We plan to reintroduce some of these features in the next few releases and will continue to add brand new features on an ongoing basis."

That would imply some of the old features will not be returning, and perhaps that's even a good thing. Yes it's semantics but that's all you've been using for the past few posts.

guess so.

but some can easily mean most.

apple has no reason to deprive users of features present in the 4 year old suit.

I am guessing they will throw the semantics aside just add them all.

justmyop

• Reply 114 of 120
    Exactly. I'd like to see them go all the way. Let's see them give Office and Windows away for free and wait for the noise of a drain emptying ...
    I got Windows and Office free with my Surface.

All RT tablets come with office for free.

Office web apps have also always been free.
  • Reply 115 of 120
    timgriff84 wrote: »

I got Windows and Office free with my Surface.

All RT tablets come with office for free.

Office web apps have also always been free.

I am not sure you understood what I meant.
  • Reply 116 of 120
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

with my Surface.

All RT tablets…

Could you have missed the point any harder?

• Reply 117 of 120
    aoa1aoa1 Posts: 28member

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

iPad Air EXPLODES INTO FIREBALL as terrified fanbois flee Apple Store 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 118 of 120
    macapfel wrote: »
    But Apple has to rectify what they have done with iWork, or I might jump ship in a year or so.

Yeah, that will show them. In a year or so.
  • Reply 119 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AOA1 View Post

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

iPad Air EXPLODES INTO FIREBALL as terrified fanbois flee Apple Store 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

You have posted the same thing 28 times on the forums of the same website.

new world record....

for the worlds biggest douchebag troll