andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, those Samsung display panels are a real let down. /s

Post of the thread

• Reply 62 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I believe you're talking about the first phase of IGZO development. There's a second phase with a different set of processes.

I forget the details. You have the visible means of support to do the research. Please get back to us with an update. Sharp and another Japanese research institution were involved in that one. Different patents, probably.

Yeah, my" visible means of support to do the research" is me and a Google Search, same as everyone else. :lol:

Perhaps the other institution you remember was the Toyko Institute of Technology? If so they were operating with funding from the same JST who licensed the IP to Samsung, Sharp, LG and reportedly several others over the past two years. There's an article here that should explain things pretty clearly:
    http://ajw.asahi.com/article/economy/technology/AJ201306100079
  • Reply 63 of 104
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    There may or may not be display issues but... I believe Apple staggered the release of the iPad Air/Retina Mini because the mini cannibalized the iPad and Apple wanted the masses to assimilate the improvements with the Air before releasing the Retina mini in order to level the playing field between its two iPad SKUs.
  • Reply 64 of 104
    aoa1aoa1 Posts: 28member

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

iPad Air EXPLODES INTO FIREBALL as terrified fanbois flee Apple Store 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 65 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ECats View Post

This rumour is completely out of touch with manufacturing knowledge, to the point that it is laughable.

"Oops a meddling percent of our displays suffer burn-in", is not the kind of problem that pops up at the 11th hour. Even if such an obvious problem was encountered it would have been apparent during development testing many many months ago.

Surely if it's a low percentage, it could potentially only show up at the 11th hour when production ramps up? The numbers produced for mass distribution are far greater than the numbers produced for testing - it's entirely possible that the dev devices just didn't suffer from this issue because it's fairly uncommon (5%? 2%? Whatever). This sort of thing isn't uncommon - Intel recently had to push back the launch of Broadwell by a quarter or so due to manufacturing defects that only became apparent once they started preparing for release.

As for the topic, good. When it comes to components, Apple should be sourcing the best they can regardless of who makes them - and that's what they seem to be doing. 

Ouch, that sounds nasty. Wonder what caused it - presumably a battery issue of some sort? 

• Reply 66 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yeah, my" visible means of support to do the research" is me and a Google Search, same as everyone else. :lol:

Perhaps the other institution you remember was the Toyko Institute of Technology? If so they were operating with funding from the same JST who licensed the IP to Samsung, Sharp, LG and reportedly several others over the past two years. There's an article here that should explain things pretty clearly:
    http://ajw.asahi.com/article/economy/technology/AJ201306100079

No, I was thinking of the Semiconductor Energy Laboratory, who with Sharp found themselves making a crystalline IGZO:

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/120601.html

Someone else was saying here that this development put Sharp ahead of the rest of the manufacturers. I certainly don't know, but one can wonder if this is partly why both Apple and Samsung were investing in Sharp.
  • Reply 67 of 104

There are "burn-in issues" alright....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

Favorite line "An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

• Reply 68 of 104
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    AOA1,

Did you just invent a new trolling category called [I]segue troll[/I]?
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Samsung does allot wrong but they know how to mass produce hardware. Too bad its such an unethical company and Apple may have to seek their help.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm....why do I get the feeling this story is BS. But if it's not, I feel bad for your wife stuck with an S4. I have plenty of friends and family running iOS 7 on their iPhone 4S (and 4 even) just fine.

Dont feed the troll. MaestroD is full of BS.

• Reply 71 of 104

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 72 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    flaneur wrote: »
    No, I was thinking of the Semiconductor Energy Laboratory, who with Sharp found themselves making a crystalline IGZO:

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/120601.html

Someone else was saying here that this development put Sharp ahead of the rest of the manufacturers. I certainly don't know, but one can wonder if this is partly why both Apple and Samsung were investing in Sharp.

Thanks for that! Hadn't come across that one yet, and more evidence of how seriously Sharp is attempting to monetize IGZO display tech.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emrul View Post

LOL. I seriously think Samsung and Apple will be stronger if they can get along.  All it will take is for Samsung to license Apple's IP the same way Microsoft did.  I think the same about Apple & Google too - Google software & services like Google Now are far more impressive than what Apple comes up with.

Are you saying that Microsoft is paying Apple $30/phone & $40/tablet to Apple?

• Reply 74 of 104
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Are you saying that Microsoft is paying Apple $30/phone & $40/tablet to Apple?

Where'd he mention any amount? They are licensing, however.

• Reply 75 of 104
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    gtr wrote: »
    Yeah, "Daddy" has been responsible for a lot of Apple's success.

You're putting this out of context. You perfectly know what he meant so stop tracing back 30 years because it's not the point of this discussion.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    This reminds me of that recent comment, I think from Foxconn.
    Maybe they knew about this when they said they would not reduce their prices just to obtain an Apple contract.
    Were they already gloating about Apple being famous for penny pinching but now shooting itself in the foot?

So they were simply far too keen for a Sharp cut price deal.
  • Reply 77 of 104
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Ummmm, several companies beat Apple to the personal computer market.  

< Utter uneducated internet-regurgitated drivel >

Your Kool-Aid is spiked by Cupertino.  Toss it down the sink and begin an immediate detox diet.  

God in Heaven.

Me and the fellas at my work were absolutely crying tears of laughter (but not rolling on the floor) at this response, so points to you for inventing the internet acronym ACTOLBNROTFL.

But what next?

A good laugh can heal the soul but where to begin in correcting such an obvious lack of education?

In the end, I decided this was probably the best response to your comments:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I hope it’s not too complicated for you.

;) 

• Reply 78 of 104
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

You're putting this out of context. You perfectly know what he meant so stop tracing back 30 years because it's not the point of this discussion.

You’re putting me to sleep.

Whatcha gonna do if I don’t stop?

You’re not going to go crying to your mum, are you?

:smokey:

• Reply 79 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    @[B]GTR[/B], man you have a knack for this. We should have a fishing contest to see who can haul in the gnarliest bottom-feeders.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Daddy, the innovative creator of the initial personal computer for the masses, the modern GUI, the mouse, numerous interface standards, the modern MP3 player, the current digital music industry, the best retail experiences in the world, not to mention the best customer service in the world, a company responsible for ALL of today's smartphones, cool, stylish computers for the masses, and the modern tablet industry.

Yeah, "Daddy" has been responsible for a lot of Apple's success.

By "Daddy" you are referring to Xerox as it developed GUI and mouse first?