Traffic from OS X 10.10 growing as Apple preps Mavericks follow-up

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think you're fairly accurate in what you remember. Looks like at the 2010 MacBook Air intro these were Steve Jobs comments on laptop/desktop touchscreens:

“We’ve done tons of user testing on this,” Steve Jobs said in Wednesday’s press conference, “and it turns out it doesn't work. Touch surfaces don’t want to be vertical. It gives great demo, but after a short period of time you start to fatigue, and after an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off.”

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/gorilla-arm-multitouch/

If you can find the podcast of the event I think you'll hear the comments at around the 1:57 mark.

I only remembered the part of the speech that mattered.  But I can see small niche touchscreen products like Kiosks (which can be either Windows, Linux or Mac based, nothing new there) and Computer Based Whiteboards, things like that, but those already exist that one can design around a Mac, it just a 3rd party type items that are needed.  It's actually pretty cheap.  (Wiimote Whiteboard s/w and then a projector and IR pen, etc.)  I'm sure there MIGHT be some need for a touchscreen LCD display based computer for people standing up, but those are more specialty items.

• Reply 102 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    akqies wrote: »
    So if I owe you $10 or $1000 you'd be fine with $1 because all trailing zeros get dropped?

How the fuçk can someone sign up for this site but not understand such rudimentary things?

This is a joke right? If you don't realise the trailing zeroes don't matter after the decimal point then you are dumber than a brick.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

This is a joke right? If you don't realise the trailing zeroes don't matter after the decimal point then you are dumber than a brick.

Mathematics ? software version numbering.

• Reply 104 of 108
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    asdasd wrote: »

Yes, all the periods with trailing values more than zero matter when you are talking about version numbers or an outline unless "you are dumber than a brick."

In regards to Apple this isn't just theoretical either. Even within the Apple naming scheme they have had x.10 and x.x.x versions.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Mathematics ? software version numbering.

akqies wrote: »
    Yes, all the periods with trailing values more than zero matter when you are talking about version numbers or an outline unless "you are dumber than a brick."

In regards to Apple this isn't just theoretical either. Even within the Apple naming scheme they have had x.10 and x.x.x versions.

Oh for the love of God. I mentioned in my first post on this thread and every single post since that I know the difference between mathematics and software versioning. Learn to read.

In the post you both replied to akqies was talking mathematically. He said that if someone thinks 0.1 = 0.10 it's the same as $10 = $100. That's the dumbest post of the year.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    asdasd wrote: »

Oh for the love of God. I mentioned in my first post on this thread and every single post since that I know the difference between mathematics and software versioning. Learn to read.

In the post you both replied to akqies was talking mathematically. He said that if someone thinks 0.1 = 0.10 it's the same as $10 = $100. That's the dumbest post of the year.

I said quite the opposite and you clearly don't understand how version numbers or outlines work. When Tallest Skil wrote "Are 10 and 1 the same number?" You replied with "No but 10.1 and 10.10 are." In a conversation about version numbers and not about decimal notation you are wrong.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

"

Apple had their own twist on this habit during the era of the classic MacOS: although there were minor releases, they rarely went beyond 1, and when they did, they twice jumped straight to 5, suggesting a change of magnitude intermediate between a major and minor release (thus, 8.5 really means 'eight and a half', and 8.6 is 'eight and a half point one'). The complete sequence of versions (neglecting revision releases) is 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.2 (skipping 3.1), 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1, 7.5, 7.6, 8.0, 8.1, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2.

Mac OS X has departed from this trend, in large part because "X" (the roman numeral for 10) is in the name of the product. As a result, all versions of OSX begin with the number 10. The first major release of OSX was given the version number 10.0, but the next major release was not 11.0. Instead, it was named version 10.1, followed by 10.2, 10.3, and so on for each subsequent major release (currently at 10.9).

In this system, the third number (instead of the second) denotes a minor release, and a fourth number (instead of the third) denotes bug-fix/revision releases. Because the first number is always 10, and because the subsequent numbers are not decimal, but integer values, it is likely that a hypothetical 11th major version of OSX, should it exist, would be labeled "10.10" rather than "11.0".

"

• Reply 108 of 108

Gonna chime in and say I want SL-style bugfix focus, as well as a UI revamp/unification.

To see what I mean regarding UI revamp, just open Preview...

Personal preference is for the lightest style. Actually super tempted to triple boot into http://elementaryos.org/ over the summer.