Lenovo reveals plans to sell smartphones where Apple's iPhone is seen as too expensive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    aoa1aoa1 Posts: 28member

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

iPad Air EXPLODES INTO FIREBALL as terrified fanbois flee Apple Store 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

It is simple, most everyone else in the Android market makes money only selling the hardware and then there relationship and revenue stream ends with the customer. Apple has a relationship with the consumer after the hardware sale which helps make up most of the profits.

What are consumers buying besides hardware that is responsible for most of Apple's profits? Most people don't buy more than a handful of inexpensive apps from the app store.

• Reply 23 of 80

Really?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/07/apfelkind-cafe-trademark-battle-apple-germany

("The key factor that inspired Römer to fight back was a gagging clause. At first the US company had offered a compromise whereby she could use the Apfelkind logo on her own franchise products but not on any electronic equipment.")

• Reply 24 of 80
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

What are consumers buying besides hardware that is responsible for most of Apple's profits? Most people don't buy more than a handful of inexpensive apps from the app store.

Apple is making more profits from the iTunes Store than selling Macintosh hardware… Besides apps, music, books and movies-tv show accounts for a big part of Apple profits.   The iTunes music store alone sales more music than any retail music store on the planet.

I do agree, most people don't buy, they want every things for free.  This is what's killing Android as a profitable platform for third party developments. 

• Reply 25 of 80
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

Lenovo may be able to afford undercutting Samsung in the smartphone space since they have a profitable desktop PC and server PC business in China (I'm not sure how profitable their laptops/tablets are). I don't think Samsung sells desktop/server PCs.

• Reply 26 of 80

Really?

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

and this:

• Reply 27 of 80
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I don't find anything smart about Lenovo, starting by getting the actor Ashton Kutcher as a product engineer.  BTW where are you getting your numbers from? I don't think phone product got anything about to do in Lenovo's revenue.

You can't be serious.  How can Ashton Kutcher be a mistake?  He played Steve Jobs in a movie!!!

That said, Lenovo makes seriously good commodity laptops.  Its the business they know and I'm sure their phones are going to be competitive in their chosen market.  It's a growing market that Apple chose (and continues to choose) not to compete in.  Being a 'hometeam' owned player is going to give them a huge advantage in China.  Waiting for China to pass laws to officially declare foreign OS's a 'national security threat' to help pave the way.

• Reply 28 of 80

Really?

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

and this:

• Reply 29 of 80
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

You can't be serious.  How can Ashton Kutcher be a mistake?  He played Steve Jobs in a movie!!!

That said, Lenovo makes seriously good commodity laptops.  Its the business they know and I'm sure their phones are going to be competitive in their chosen market.  It's a growing market that Apple chose (and continues to choose) not to compete in.  Being a 'hometeam' owned player is going to give them a huge advantage in China.  Waiting for China to pass laws to officially declare foreign OS's a 'national security threat' to help pave the way.

I agree, under IBM supervision the thinkpad has been one of the best product line of the PC laptop market, this is the reason why I think most Lenovo profits is still coming from PC making and not their mobiles product. But ever since they cut all connection with IBM, they become more and more ACER or Dell alike. 

• Reply 30 of 80

and this:

• Reply 31 of 80
    There was no reason for the iPhone 5C, I think a 4C may have sold better.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    There was no reason for the iPhone 5C, I think a 4C may have sold better.
    Surely you're not serious.
  • Reply 33 of 80

Really?

and this:

• Reply 34 of 80
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I don't know, good luck Lenovo. I really like their notebooks though, the best in the Windows world, period. I have owned 7 Thinkpads, IBM and now Lenovo. I was really worried about IBM selling the name to Lenovo but they took it over and ran with it, not only do they have great mobile products but they improved on the trusted Thinkpad name. I absolutely love my Thinkpad X220 and Thinkpad Tablet 2, they are amongst the best made machines you can buy next to an Apple Macbook of course, very, very tough. I know if I dropped my new iPad Air 3 feet onto concrete that the screen would crack in a instant, it's a fact, the iPad and iPhone are probably the easiest mobile devices to crack the screen. I am yet to see a cracked iPhone when I am out and about. It happens so much that there are now shops here in Switzerland who do nothing but fix cracked iPhone and iPad screens. What company do you know that can make enough money to stay in business just fixing cracked screens from on manufacture, sorry never heard of any. When we took our daughters in for a screen repair, for the third time, the tech said that over 40% of iPhones bought in the first year have to get their screens replaced at least once and returning customers is very normal. Thye do so mych business that they had to open up multiple locations in some city's. I don't know about 40% but would dare say more than 20%. Seriously , I see so many cracked iPhones screen that I think it's an epidemic, has their been a lawsuit for this yet? iPhone screens don't scratch easily, that's one of things I like about them but drop one and your in for a world of hurt and repair costs. When I had my Samsung Note, I dropped it three times, ounce down a flight of marble stairs, because it had a rubber case on it there wasn't even a scratch, Apple needs to rethink this glass and Aluminum, there must be other materials like carbon fiber, no that would be too expensive, aluminum is super cheap and looks too good. Sorry guys I'm venting, my daughter just broke her iPhone screen again, this time though it wasn't her fault but my husbands, he was playing a game and dropped it accidentally onto out kitchen floor which was polished concrete, no more then 2 feet, sorry but that is just ridiculous, Apple needs to change this immediately. 

Back to the story at hand, Lenovo should rethink this strategy, no one is going to buy their phones outside of China, there to cheap, ugly and the low end market is already saturated. They should just focus on their awesome laptops and tablets for now or build a new high end phone that no one has seen before, make it tough though Lenovo, there is a market for toughphones.

• Reply 35 of 80
    d4njvrzf wrote: »

And yet developers are getting a 15 billion USD pay cheque. And half of that in 2013 alone.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    dshandshan Posts: 53member
    Those cheapskate markets are getting pretty crowded Lenovo! Down there you'll find HTC (having recently given up on trying to break into the premium end of the market with the HTC One), Huwaei, Samsung of course (they compete in every market), Microsoft/Nokia, Blackberry (almost certainly that's where Chen will end up, even if he doesn't know it yet), and many, many others. Razor thin margins down there Lenovo, just like the PC market...
  • Reply 37 of 80

Really?

and this:

• Reply 38 of 80
    [quote]It happens so much that there are now shops here in Switzerland who do nothing but fix cracked iPhone and iPad screens. What company do you know that can make enough money to stay in business just fixing cracked screens from on manufacture, sorry never heard of any. When we took our daughters in for a screen repair, for the third time, the tech said that over 40% of iPhones bought in the first year have to get their screens replaced at least once and returning customers is very normal. Thye do so mych business that they had to open up multiple locations in some city's. I don't know about 40% but would dare say more than 20%. Seriously , I see so many cracked iPhones screen that I think it's an epidemic, has their been a lawsuit for this yet?
    [/quote]

So class law sue ... Opening question by the judge. How did you crack the screen. "I drop it" OK , case dismiss.

I seen lots of people carrying on using their cracked screen phone. I saw 2 today on the train. One Samsung S3 (I think) another one is HTC (one of those tiny one. May be it just not worth to even bother to fix those phones?

Where Apple products always have premium in the second hand market. The price they pay for their stupidity of dropping their phone. But they will get something back once they fix it. Where the other phones the cost of fixing it just won't justify.

Just my 0.2 cents. BTW I drop my 4s twice. Chipped and little crack on the corner. The first thing went through my mind was , how stupid I was instead of blaming other people.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I agree, under IBM supervision the thinkpad has been one of the best product line of the PC laptop market, this is the reason why I think most Lenovo profits is still coming from PC making and not their mobiles product. But ever since they cut all connection with IBM, they become more and more ACER or Dell alike. 

I don't think so, yes they have an extensive consumer line but their Thinkpad business line hasn't really changed all that much, nor has their philosophy pertaining to the Thinkpad pedigree. When I buy a Thinkpad X, T or W series I know that I'm getting one tough son of bitch machine with the options to add 4G, remove that pesky front camera, different battery sizes, battery slices for the bottom, which on a side note is something missing from Apples lineup and is the most valuable feature to be invented yet for the business person on the go, docking stations, another missing feature that I miss from the old days of the Lombard Powerbook, we all hate connecting cables at home when we get off of work, it is so nice to able to just drop your laptop into a docking station.

Do you guys even keep up with what other manufactures are doing or are you just assuming. I know once you go all Apple nothing else matters but it's a good idea to keep up with what else is out there. Apple doesn't make the best hardware, debatable sure, but I would take a Thinkpad x240 with a twisty screen to make it into tablet when I need it any day of the week over a Macbook, IF it had OSX. I still tolerate Apples laptops becasue of my love for OSX. The absents of replaceable batteries, extra battery slices for the bottom(which by the way guys I get 22 hours of operation from with Lenovo X220), replaceable memory and HD's, touchscreen. You can huff and puff, call me traitor, a troll all you want but the truth of the matter is Apple computers is not a business friendly machine, OSX is, I love that operating system, the best I have ever used, I am just frustrated with Apples consumer only business model. Look at all of those wonderful pro apps that Apple dumped, I really liked Aperture, it was an awesome app, Final Cit Pro, how much bitching did it take for us to get back the features that Apple thought weren't cost effective. Mark my words, it's going to get worse with Apple, they are going to migrate OSX and iOS into each other. We will loose control of what we can do with our computers, no more filemanager, mounting of none Apple NAS products, ect. and most of us wont say anything because you won't have those needs, your a general consumer but the power user, the professional WILL disapear from Apples agenda, to much money to made from the people who just want too surf, share their lives on Facebook, other such outlets and consume.

Head my words people.....

I appologize for the intense nature of my post but I am probably going to die soon, breast cancer. So when else is the perfect time to bitch.

• Reply 40 of 80
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Back to the story at hand, Lenovo should rethink this strategy, no one is going to buy their phones outside of China, there to cheap, ugly and the low end market is already saturated. They should just focus on their awesome laptops and tablets for now or build a new high end phone that no one has seen before, make it tough though Lenovo, there is a market for toughphones.

The K900 (Intel CloverTrail+) is proof Lenovo can make a premium device.

An Intel Merrifield (Silvermont X86-64) device combined with Intel's XMM 7160 (LTE) chipset could easily find a home in the North American market.