Don't Give me a Smart Phone - Give me a Phone that is Smart

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Once more I am challenged by the upgrade gremlins of another iphone 5 upgrade (ios7+)

Issues

Messages not sent, emails and text messages delayed or not even sent.

Maybe it is just me that is inconvenienced by these latest attempts to try and improve the quality of my life?

Or perhaps Apple just do not know what I really want and so try to give me everything in the hope that they will get it right for me.

If this is the case then I can tell you what I want from my iphone:-

I want to be able to make and receive calls

Yes I want to be able to make and receive call that can be heard clearly by both parties.

Yes I want to have a clear signal that allows me to make and receive calls.

I want to be able to send and receive texts

Yes I want to be able to send and receive texts almost instantaneously ( Even the very old Nokia phones could do this before the first iPhone even existed) rather than at the choice of iMessage which may or may not send my message or may or may not tell me it has not sent it or even may decide on its own when it will send my message.

I want to receive and send emails

Yes I want to be able to send and receive emails when I am away from my desk and I want to choose which emails I want to keep on my iPhone and computer rather than have latest upgrade decide that for me. (Deleting emails from my server even though it has ticked never to remove from server- too late all gone!)

You see Apple, what I want is a phone first, that can do all of the above both reliably and efficiently and if after you have accomplished this the yes I would love you to enhance my life through a new wizzy app or redesigned interface.

What I want is a phone that is smart that just works rather than a smart phone which is too smart for its own good.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

Except the iPhone can do that. So instead of coming up with this pointless and obviously incorrect tirade, you could have been troubleshooting and fixing the problems endemic to only your device.

• Reply 2 of 8

Hi Tallest Skil,

Thank you for your response and advice to get these issues sorted.

As you can see I am frustrated that these basic needs are not satisfactorily addressed and am still waiting for yet another software upgrade to make these issues right.

If have not experienced any of these issues then well done.

If you looked at the forums you will see that I am not alone in these issues and Apple are aware of them.

Why should I have to wait to get these sorted when they should have been addressed before the release.

How many times do I have to try a work around of turning off iMessage then resetting network connections just to have text messages sent reliably. ( A function that has been working satisfactorily before the iphone existed.

If you have any solutions then please share or perhaps send your suggestions to Apple in order that they can speed up the process.

Thank you for you interest.

• Reply 3 of 8

I will go on record saying that iMessage SUCKS.

Using cellular texting, speed and reliability seems to be very near 100%.

If I turn on iMessage, then speed goes from near-instantaneous to several minutes for a text to arrive at its destination.  Assuming it arrives at all... among the six phones on my family plan, iMessage has a reliability of maybe 80%... meaning 20% of texts never even made it to the destination!  Needless to say, I've turned iMessage OFF on all of them and I'll stick with the reliable cellular texting for now.

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I will go on record saying that iMessage SUCKS.

Using cellular texting, speed and reliability seems to be very near 100%.

If I turn on iMessage, then speed goes from near-instantaneous to several minutes for a text to arrive at its destination.  Assuming it arrives at all... among the six phones on my family plan, iMessage has a reliability of maybe 80%... meaning 20% of texts never even made it to the destination!  Needless to say, I've turned iMessage OFF on all of them and I'll stick with the reliable cellular texting for now.Wr- iMessage rocks. Its the best thing for texting since it was invented. Whatever problems you are having sound like pebkac. I know dozens + dozens with iPhones and iMessage. NO ONE complains about it at all. maybe there is some sort of server issue YOU are having. 

Wrong!!!

- iMessage rocks. Its the best thing for texting since it was invented. Whatever problems you are having sound like pebkac. I know dozens + dozens with iPhones and iMessage. NO ONE complains about it at all. maybe there is some sort of server issue YOU are having.

But you are dead wrong about iMessage sucking. 

• Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except the iPhone can do that. So instead of coming up with this pointless and obviously incorrect tirade, you could have been troubleshooting and fixing the problems endemic to only your device.

No doubt. iPhone does all those things better than ANY phone there is. No contest. 

I can't help but feel embarrassment for these people who come here and try to say that the devise sucks, or doesn't work. I CALL BS. i have had every iPhone and have NEVER seen the problems that these people come here to cry about.

Make a genius bar appointment... if its a real problem they will actually help you. Again, most likely pebkac 

• Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

.... maybe there is some sort of server issue YOU are having.

I see you decided to just make stuff up, since you have no actual knowledge about it.

I never said it wouldn't work fine for YOU... just related my own experience with it.  I know what the problem is, and the cellular network works much better IN MY CASE.  For me, iMessage is unusable... "Sucks" seemed to be an adequate descriptor.

• Reply 7 of 8

sounds like you are in dire need of some lessons on how to use your phone. Try going to the Apple store and sign up for some help.

Then go see a shrink about your other issues.

And if you still can't figure out how to use your phone or help yourself, then you are generally screwed....

• Reply 8 of 8

I think Kirk wanted to say that despite all "smart" functions current devices have, sometimes it is a bit awkward to use its main functions - calling, text messaging, etc.