Rumor: Apple exploring pressure-sensitive iPhones with curved glass displays up to 5.5"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    The best use for curved glass with a flexible LCD display is to simply have the display curve over the edges of the phone. This would make the screen more than edge to edge. It would have the same effect as an infinite pool. It would be visually stunning.

It would be visually stunning... until the first fall.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Judging from this rhetorical question you seem to imply that split screen multi-tasking would be useless on an iPad, I have a feeling that any example I can give will be dismissed in one way or the other.

If users cared about split-screening, Apple would have done it by now. If split-screening was the best experience, Apple would have done it by now. If split-screening actually helped with productivity or was useful in any capacity… well…

• Reply 23 of 92
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The only reasons that any competitor (of which there is really only one) is successful is due to a massive advertising campaign to convince us that all the drawbacks of their mobile phones are actually advantages. The truth is the competitor can't make a comparable mobile phone the size of the iPhone 5s. There is no market for a 6" mobile phone. There is only a market for "not an iPhone" from the competitor who "isn't Apple" but can't make a comparable mobile phone the size of the iPhone 5s.

There must be a market for them or manufactures wouldn't make them, The new Sony Z Ultra has a one month waiting period over at Swisscom, our largest mobile provider. I'm sure it's because Sony just didn't make that many but the fact that there is a waiting period and over 100 peoples name are on a list at my local store says that there is defiantly a market. Not as big as Apples market share but one thing I do know for sure if Apple built a 5" iPhone people would buy it, maybe not as many as the 4" but will defiantly sell, I actually think they would sell more then the 4". I would use the iPad Mini as a phone any day if it had GSM capabilities.

3.5" was the perfect size when it came out and many in this very forum swore up and down that Apple wouldn't make a 4", get over it, there are many of us who want a 5" phone.

• Reply 24 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

I realise some people here think a 4" screen is normal for a high end device, but that's clearly not the view of the majority. 

Really? Clearly? Prove it. Apple outsells everybody in the high-end. The iPhone is the most popular smartphone in the U.S. by far. I want you to provide some proof of your claim. And saying Android has more market share isn’t proof because 90% of that market share is low-end junk. Apple has sold more iPhones than Samsung has sold S4s, or Notes. That’s a fact. Even Samsung admits it...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/23091/high-end-us-smartphone-buyers-5x-more-likely-pick-apple-over-samsung

However, Samsung's own admission that only a third of its device sales are of a class "comparable" to iPhone would change would divide its 24.9 percent share thus:"

• Reply 25 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If users cared about split-screening, Apple would have done it by now. If split-screening was the best experience, Apple would have done it by now. If split-screening actually helped with productivity or was useful in any capacity… well…

Oooooh, oooooh, Apple would do it, hehehe. It's actually a really nice feature and Apple should add it. I especially would like to see it for the web browser and iPhoto. It would be great to have iPhoto on one side and Safari on the other with Instagram opened.

• Reply 26 of 92
    vl-tone wrote: »
    I hate to repeat myself, but if Apple releases a phablet, it will be 5.7" not 5.5". 

5.7" is exactly half an iPad mini screen which would make it 1536x1024 at 326DPI. Two apps optimized for this screen format could run side by side on the iPads.

Not likely. In the iPads the screen proportion is 4:3. In the iPhones it was 3:2, now is 16:9, with Full HD in the horizon. 1536x1024 means to go back to 3:2.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Really? Clearly? Prove it. Apple outsells everybody in the high-end. The iPhone is the most popular smartphone in the U.S. by far. I want you to provide some proof of your claim. And saying Android has more market share isn’t proof because 90% of that market share is low-end junk. Apple has sold more iPhones than Samsung has sold S4s, or Notes. That’s a fact. Even Samsung admits it...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/smartphones/23091/high-end-us-smartphone-buyers-5x-more-likely-pick-apple-over-samsung

However, Samsung's own admission that only a third of its device sales are of a class "comparable" to iPhone would change would divide its 24.9 percent share thus:"

That proves nothing, Apple has a monopoly on iOS devices so their users are forced to use whatever Apple provides. If Apple had, say a 5" iPhone and it didn't sell you would have a point, till then though your just speculating that 4" is what people want and look your probably right but there just isn't anyway to prove it..

• Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brevis View Post

Not likely. In the iPads the screen proportion is 4:3. In the iPhones it was 3:2, now is 16:9, with Full HD in the horizon. 1536x1024 means to go back to 3:2.

I don't see how it means "to go back to 3:2" since Apple never released a phablet before. 3:2 would be in between 16:9 and 4:3 at a size that is also somewhere between those two devices 

• Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:

If that is what she told you she was lying.

Winning post!

• Reply 30 of 92

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

This was my favorite phone of all time...It was about the size of a hotel's complementary bath soap. Perfect fit in my pocket. Too bad it would not sync with my iBooks Contacts.

My 4s is too big and too heavy. And Sprint charges too much! :)

• Reply 31 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just because Apple didn't add X feature or released X product doesn't automatically mean that there's a philosophical reason behind it. 

There's a big reason why adding split screen multi-tasking is not something they could do on a whim: iOS was originally designed with a single screen size in mind. 

It made sense at first, because of the technical limitations of the early iOS devices, and it helped the App Store a lot because developers didn't have to bother with making their app work on multiple screen sizes.

This goes hand in hand with the possibility of adding split screen multi-tasking since dealing with multiple screen sizes essentially requires apps to have flexible layouts which is not something devs are used to deal with on iOS.

Before iOS 6, there wasn't even any APIs to deal with different screen sizes. While auto-layout APIs were added in iOS 6, not everyone used them. Apple has been making a big push for them with iOS 7 and the new text engine and textureless design is also a step toward helping developers with flexible layouts.

But the iOS 7 transition is big enough in itself that it would've been a nightmare for devs if Apple introduced new resolutions + split screen multi-tasking this year on top of the iOS 7 UI redesign.

This is why I think that both will happen next year, with iOS 8 and devices with new resolutions.

• Reply 32 of 92

This isn't the view of the majority iPhone still owns the high end market. Apple following the example of Samsung is the worst thing the company could ever do in the history of the brand. Apple doesn't follow, it leads, they introduced the iPad for a reason. Anything much bigger than 4 inches is no longer a phone, it's an undersized tablet. If apple really has to make bigger screens just add phone capability to the iPad mini but don't humor anything by calling it an iPhone. It'll be a cellular enabled iPad. Note 3 isn't a phone its an undersized tablet that can call.

As a matter of fact, one only need purchase an iPad mini with cellular service and install a VOIP app. Thus, Apple does offer a mobile phone experience in a tablet form factor. Obviously, Apple sells many more iPhones than iPads though.

As I stated previously, the competition doesn't have the ability to make a comparable mobile phone the size of the iPhone 5s. The simply lack the expertise so they spend massive amounts of money creating the illusion that their products are superior rather than the inferior garbage anyone with any true understanding of the technology knows their garbage to be.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    I don't see how it means "to go back to 3:2" since Apple never released a phablet before. 3:2 would be in between 16:9 and 4:3 at a size that is also somewhere between those two devices 

So, in your vision:
    iPhone --> 16:9
    iPhablet --> 3:2
    iPad --> 4:3
    Developers --> busy and dizzy

I think you can keep it simple.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Just because Apple didn't add X feature or released X product doesn't automatically mean that there's a philosophical reason behind it. 

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">There's a big reason why adding split screen multi-tasking is not something they could do on a whim: iOS was originally designed with a single screen size in mind.</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It made sense at first, because of the technical limitations of the early iOS devices, and it helped the App Store a lot because developers didn't have to bother with making their app work on multiple screen sizes.</span>

This goes hand in hand with the possibility of adding split screen multi-tasking since dealing with multiple screen sizes essentially requires apps to have flexible layouts which is not something devs are used to deal with on iOS.

Before iOS 6, there wasn't even any APIs to deal with different screen sizes. While auto-layout APIs were added in iOS 6<span style="line-height:22px;">, not everyone used them. Apple has been making a big push for them with iOS 7 and the new text engine and textureless design is also a step toward helping developers with flexible layouts.</span>

<span style="line-height:22px;">But the iOS 7 transition is big enough in itself that it would've been a nightmare for </span>
    devs<span style="line-height:22px;"> if Apple introduced new resolutions + split screen multi-tasking this year on top of the iOS 7 UI redesign.</span>

<span style="line-height:22px;">This is why I think that both will happen next year, with iOS 8 and devices with new resolutions.</span>

I wouldn't be surprised to see a different size iPhone in 2014 but split screen "multi-tasking" on a mobile phone is absurd.

Apple understands the challenge of multiple sizes in mobile devices better than anyone. An app design optimized for a 10" device is likely not an appropriate app design for a 4" device. Dynamic resizing of an app provides a less than optimal and an often abhorrent design on a multitude of different sized devices.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:

So, in your vision:

iPhone --> 16:9

iPhablet --> 3:2

iPad --> 4:3

Developers --> busy and dizzy

I think you can keep it simple.

Using 16:9 wouldn't make it any easier for developers, as a bigger screen will require new layouts for apps anyway. You don't simply blow up an iPhone app to 5.7" so keeping the aspect ratio doesn't solve the crux of the problem.

• Reply 36 of 92
    Using 16:9 wouldn't make it any easier for developers, as a bigger screen will require new layouts for apps anyway. You don't simply blow up an iPhone app to 5.7" so keeping the aspect ratio doesn't solve the crux of the problem.

A new aspect ratio requires FAR more work.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a different size iPhone in 2014 but split screen "multi-tasking" on a mobile phone is absurd.

Apple understands the challenge of multiple sizes in mobile devices better than anyone. An app design optimized for a 10" device is likely not an appropriate app design for a 4" device. Dynamic resizing of an app provides a less than optimal and an often abhorrent design on a multitude of different sized devices.

I never said anything about split-screen multi-tasking on a mobile phone. I also think it's absurd. I was talking about running two apps side by side on an iPad. Half an iPad mini screen could be used in an hypothetical 5.7" Apple phablet, and optimizing apps for this size would also mean optimizing for split screen on full size iPads.

I understand what you're saying about relying on dynamic resizing to make tablet apps from phone apps, something Apple has tried to avoid, but I see them keeping the iPad and iPhone as separated entities in the App Store. The same could be done with a phablet.

• Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:

A new aspect ratio requires FAR more work.

Why would it be? Apps layouts have to be completely redone anyway, you can't just scale up coordinates. This is a touch screen device, touch target sizes have to be optimized. If this prevents lazy devs from simply blowing up their apps  (which would be easier but stupid) then I'm all for it. 

• Reply 39 of 92
    I never said anything about split-screen multi-tasking on a mobile phone. I also think it's absurd. I was talking about running two apps side by side on an iPad. Half an iPad mini screen could be used in an hypothetical 5.7" Apple phablet, and optimizing apps for this size would also mean optimizing for split screen on full size iPads.

I understand what you're saying about relying on dynamic resizing to make tablet apps from phone apps, something Apple has tried to avoid, but I see them keeping the iPad and iPhone as separated entities in the App Store. The same could be done with a phablet.

I apologize to the other forum members. I didn't realize this was a throw-away account so I responded.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Half an iPad mini screen could be used in an hypothetical 5.7" Apple phablet, and optimizing apps for this size would also mean optimizing for split screen on full size iPads.

So the user will need to download the iPad version of the app and the iPhablet version. Two versions together in the iPad.

Not likely. Keep it simple!