Rumor: Apple exploring pressure-sensitive iPhones with curved glass displays up to 5.5"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    I truly hope the rumour "The two new iPhone models will feature screen sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches" is correct.

I hope so. It's what's needed.

They can keep the 4 incher and make it the 'iPhone Nano.'

Done.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I apologize to the other forum members. I didn't realize this was a throw-away account so I responded.

Why this "throw-away" account reference? I'm simply discussing some theory/speculation of my own. Not sure why I deserve that remark.

• Reply 43 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brevis View Post

So the user will need to download the iPad version of the app and the iPhablet version. Two versions together in the iPad.

Not likely. Keep it simple!

Well obviously those apps would be "fat binaries" just like iPhone+iPad apps that exist on the App Store.

• Reply 44 of 92
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Why would it be? Apps layouts have to be completely redone anyway, you can't just scale up coordinates. This is a touch screen device, touch target sizes have to be optimized. If this prevents lazy devs from simply blowing up their apps  (which would be easier but stupid) then I'm all for it. 

I'm thinking in apps that need months to be [well] done. To complicate the devs job without a good reason is not very clever. To call them 'lazy devs' because they don't want innecesary complications is offensive. Not all the devs are dedicated to farts apps.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    jamesmac wrote: »
    Give me one good BUSINESS reason why Apple will not develop a 5.5" phone.  

I'll give you FOUR reasons why they should:

1. Apple is forgoing a large and growing market by not entering into the phablet category. It's not a growing market. Samsung is complaining because they've encountered slowing sales of their smart phones. In fact Samsung thinks the smart phone market is saturated.

2. Phablets are expensive and consumers are accustomed to paying a premium for then.  This is right in Apple's strike zone. The only phablets that Samsung can sell are the low cost models. The only consumers parting with the big bucks in record numbers are buying Apple branded products.

3. Phablets are popular in Asia, a stated growth area for Apple. See above

From Business Insider...
    <p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-bottom:10px;">Phablets have experienced phenomenal growth in shipments across the Asia-Pacific region.</p>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-bottom:10px;">Shipments increased by an average of 88 percent quarter-on-quarter between year-end 2011 and June 30 of this year, according to IDC. </p>

Here's another All Points Bulletin: "Only shit sells in Asia unless it has an Apple logo, then people will buy."

4. Apple is relinquishing this category to Samsung and will cause damage to Samsung if they can grab some of this market. It's been stated over and over: Apple doesn't care about market penetration. They want the top tier.

ONE good reason: Samsung's big phablets don't sell like everyone thought they were. Recent statements by Samsung indicates that most of their phone sales (2/3) were NOT those models comparable to iPhones. Sure you notice people using the oversized phones because they look so damn ridiculous, not because there are a lot of them. If big ones are selling in Asia, then they are Samsung's cheap ones.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    brevis wrote: »
    I'm thinking in apps that need months to be [well] done. To complicate the devs job without a good reason is not very clever. To call them 'lazy devs' because they don't want innecesary complications is offensive. Not all the devs are dedicated to farts apps.

I can tell you are not a app developer. It doesn't take much time at all to resize an app to properly take advantage of a different screen size. I'm not saying Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini... I'm saying it's unlikely.

P.S. I don't think you can find an iFart app in the app store any more.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    brevis wrote: »
    So the user will need to download the iPad version of the app and the iPhablet version. Two versions together in the iPad.

Not likely. Keep it simple!

The App store knows what device you are using to downlaod an App. When using my iPhone, I can't even see Apps exclusive to the iPads.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    rogifan wrote: »
    Bloomberg is wrong more than its right with Apple rumors. So I take this with a HUGE grain of salt.

I'm with you on this one. Especially the idea of flexible screens: As long as Apple is investing in Sapphire for the front glass, flexible is not an option to pursue.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Quote:

What will complicate things for developers is the significant screen size difference requiring rethinking the layout, not the aspect ratio change. The lazy developers I was talking about would simply blow up their UI as a native phablet app and never work on optimizing it. I wasn't talking about those who would use this as a temporary solution.

But anyway developers will have to support the 3:2 screen of the iPhone 3/4 for a while now, so this discussion is moot.

• Reply 50 of 92
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    I never said anything about split-screen multi-tasking on a mobile phone. I also think it's absurd. I was talking about running two apps side by side on an iPad. Half an iPad mini screen could be used in an hypothetical 5.7" Apple phablet, and optimizing apps for this size would also mean optimizing for split screen on full size iPads.

I understand what you're saying about relying on dynamic resizing to make tablet apps from phone apps, something Apple has tried to avoid, but I see them keeping the iPad and iPhone as separated entities in the App Store. The same could be done with a phablet.

Split screen multitasking is less absurd with a 5" screen. On the GS4, it would have been usable (for me) if more than a few first party apps worked with it. My use case: calendar event with a conference call pass code. I'd like to see the event and the phone dialer at the same time. Amusingly (but frustrating at the time I had that phone), Calendar and Phone could not be put in split screen. Like all things Samsung, it was half-baked, but a real implementation of this would be appealing to me.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Split screen multitasking is less absurd with a 5" screen. On the GS4, it would have been usable (for me) if more than a few first party apps worked with it. My use case: calendar event with a conference call pass code. I'd like to see the event and the phone dialer at the same time. Amusingly (but frustrating at the time I had that phone), Calendar and Phone could not be put in split screen. Like all things Samsung, it was half-baked, but a real implementation of this would be appealing to me.

I was mainly thinking about "small" mobile phones like the 4" iPhone. On a 5"+ device (which I don't really consider the same device category) it might make more sense for some.

• Reply 52 of 92
    I can tell you are not a app developer. It doesn't take much time at all to resize an app to properly take advantage of a different screen size. I'm not saying Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini... I'm saying it's unlikely.

P.S. I don't think you can find an iFart app in the app store any more.

Resize apps is easy, I know. And resized apps works. But in some apps many things need to be reorganized.

I think Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini. There are a lot of money there. My point is that, if that happens, to change the aspect ratio has no logic.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

None of that shit matters to Apple if they believe 5.5" for a phone is a ridiculous size. If they release a larger phone, it will be between 4.5-5.0, and probably leaning towards the lower end of that range. You're a bit out of touch if you actually believe "most" people want a 5.5" phone. If that was the case, 9 million iPhones wouldn't have been sold in a weekend. 

So your business reason for Apple not to enter the phablet market is "they believe 5.5" for a phone is a ridiculous size"?  

Then you claim that I stated that "most" people want a 5.5" phone.  Then you claim that because item "A" sold a lot, that item "B" will not sell a lot.

Is this really the best you can do?

• Reply 54 of 92
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

I hate to repeat myself, but if Apple releases a phablet, it will be 5.7" not 5.5". 

5.7" is exactly half an iPad mini screen which would make it 1536x1024 at 326DPI. Two apps optimized for this screen format could run side by side on the iPads.

You are taking the manufacturing consideration over developer consideration. While using the same 326PPI would be great. Resolution does not make any sense. It isn't a iPhone 5 Multiple. Nor It is a iPad Multiple. You are basically creating a third category of devices that developers had to take care of. And NO, it is not as simple as another Fat Binaries. If that is the case Android wouldn't have fragmentation problems.  ( Fragmentation isn't only OS version, screen size and resolution as well )

We have been through this before.

Either Double the Resolution, 2272 x 1280 , with the current and next year display tech that is only possible at 4.8" screen and up. Starting at 543PPI. The current A7 chip is already capable driving this resolution as shown with iPad Air and Retina Mini.

Or you create a 1.5x resolution. Which would be the best compromise. As the higher PPI the more power usage. But then some Apps and resolution doesn't do very well with the 0.5x multiple.

But with 50% larger screen and phone area, you are going get 70%+ larger battery  since all part area stays constant,  think this will more than offset the problem. Again only Apple would know.

Then there is price point, larger screen protected glass ( I dont think Sapphire front display are coming next year yet, although i would love to be proven wrong ), much better and larger display, larger battery. Although my estimate is that it will only add $5 to $10 to BOM cost. Apple will likely price their larger screen at $50 premium. Making the starting price increase from $649 to $699.

• Reply 55 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post

This isn't the view of the majority iPhone still owns the high end market. Apple following the example of Samsung is the worst thing the company could ever do in the history of the brand. Apple doesn't follow, it leads, they introduced the iPad for a reason. Anything much bigger than 4 inches is no longer a phone, it's an undersized tablet. If apple really has to make bigger screens just add phone capability to the iPad mini but don't humor anything by calling it an iPhone. It'll be a cellular enabled iPad. Note 3 isn't a phone its an undersized tablet that can call.

Apple has already set a precedent when they launched the iPad mini.  This was clearly a repudiation of earlier words from Steve Jobs and was a response to Samsung and other competitors, yet it has been very successful.

Why would you assume that every single trend must initiate with Apple?  Smart businesses also adapt to moves by their competitors and this should not be viewed as weakness.

• Reply 56 of 92

From Business Insider...

Phablets have experienced phenomenal growth in shipments across the Asia-Pacific region.

Shipments increased by an average of 88 percent quarter-on-quarter between year-end 2011 and June 30 of this year, according to IDC. 

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky

Here's another All Points Bulletin: "Only shit sells in Asia unless it has an Apple logo, then people will buy."

Let me get this straight, your response to data from IDC showing strong growth of phablets is "Only shit sells in Asia unless it has an Apple logo, then people will buy."   So, you're suggesting that people in Asia will buy feces if there is an Apple logo on it?  Do you have any data to back up this claim?

I'd be very interested in your experience in Asia that affords you such valuable insight.   

• Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:

Resize apps is easy, I know. And resized apps works. But in some apps many things need to be reorganized.

I think Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini. There are a lot of money there. My point is that, if that happens, to change the aspect ratio has no logic.

Your whole point was based on the idea that it would require "FAR more work" to go from the 16:9 app to a 3:2 phablet because the aspect ratio was different. But you forgot (and I forgot too) that every single iPhone app has to support 3:2 screens anyway so your point is moot.

• Reply 58 of 92
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member

I just want bigger icons...

• Reply 59 of 92
    I feel like we go through this every year
  • Reply 60 of 92

I like it!