Review: Apple's late-2013 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    This machine has me almost completely sold because I don't do high end graphics and just want a portable laptop with a beautiful display and good battery life. That said, can anyone comment on if the Iris graphics is powerful enough to power the retina on the higher resolutions of 1440 x 900 or 2560 x 1600, and if you notice any lag (like the 2012 retina model without a discrete gpu)? 1280 x 800 native is just not enough screen real estate for a 13in computer these days, that's what my 19in square dell monitors that are 5yrs old are running for their native resolution...

I have a 15" which is nearly 1 million more pixels to push and Iris hasn't shown any issues whatsoever. I have even used gfxCardStatus to disable the Nvidia GeFroce GT 750M to only use Iris and ran apps that would dynamically kick the GPU from Iris to Nvidia without any issues.

PS: What out. People here will tell you can't be a professional if you don't need a high-end GPU. :D
  • Reply 102 of 126
    Quote:

I have a 15" which is nearly 1 million more pixels to push and Iris hasn't shown any issues whatsoever. I have even used gfxCardStatus to disable the Nvidia GeFroce GT 750M to only use Iris and ran apps that would dynamically kick the GPU from Iris to Nvidia without any issues.

PS: What out. People here will tell you can't be a professional if you don't need a high-end GPU. 1biggrin.gif

I appreciate the feedback, but doesn't the 15inchers use the Iris Pro, not the regular Iris?  If you had just the Iris graphics with discrete turned off, and it was pushing a retina 15in mbp without lag, I wouldn't even hesitate to order mine now then haha.

• Reply 103 of 126

I appreciate the feedback, but doesn't the 15inchers use the Iris Pro, not the regular Iris?  If you had just the Iris graphics with discrete turned off, and it was pushing a retina 15in mbp without lag, I wouldn't even hesitate to order mine now then haha.

My mistake. I thought they bought used Iris Pro. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Reply 104 of 126
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    akqies wrote: »
    You really can't understand why a 3rd-pary vendor like Newegg selling a stick of RAM to an end user might require the same rigid testing for reliability, power usage and performance as a company like Apple, Samsung or Cisco that is putting RAM directly on a motherboard along with hundreds to thousands of dollars in other parts? Have you spent your entire life looking at shadows on a cave wall?

Can you re-read what you have written as it doesn't make sense.

Now back to what you claimed, can you show me this proof that Apple double tests their RAM?
  • Reply 105 of 126
    jfanning wrote: »
    Can you re-read what you have written as it doesn't make sense.

Now back to what you claimed, can you show me this proof that Apple double tests their RAM?

It makes sense. Learn to read.

Who said Apple doubles anything? This is about accepting RAM that has been passed higher standards of testing, not about doing the same test twice.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

This is what I don't get about people like you. Why do you think the entry level specs are the same specs that someone that uses Adobe Photoshop? Why are you so bothered by the fact that Apple has made the MBP less expensive for entry level buyers? Are you really so shallow as to not want more people buying the MBP so you can feel more elitist?

People like me? That's an interesting comment. My main point was the entry level dropped in specs. If the previous entry level came with 4GB of RAM that's a different story. Apple touted a decrease in price, however it also came with a decrease in RAM. My comment about Abobe had to do with others making a one size fits all comment. Also 8GB of RAM is hardly elite seeing it's less than a hundred dollar upgrade.

RAM is the least expensive upgrade someone can make, including APPLE. Apple should be able to give entry level buyers the same specs as the previous model at a better price and still be able to keep a very good profit margin. Some members come to the defense of Apple no matter what they do, I tend to come to the defense of the consumer getting the most for their money.

Another point I failed to raise in my previous post is some assume all anyone wants or needs to run is Mavericks. If the user wants to have a dual boot option into Windows then 8GB of RAM is even more important.

This is really easy, once they set a watermark on specs don't go backwards.

• Reply 107 of 126
    atlapple wrote: »
    People like me? That's an interesting comment. My main point was the entry level dropped in specs. If the previous entry level came with 4GB of RAM that's a different story. Apple touted a decrease in price, however it also came with a decrease in RAM. My comment about Abobe had to do with others making a one size fits all comment. Also 8GB of RAM is hardly elite seeing it's less than a hundred dollar upgrade.

RAM is the least expensive upgrade someone can make, including APPLE. Apple should be able to give entry level buyers the same specs as the previous model at a better price and still be able to keep a very good profit margin. Some members come to the defense of Apple no matter what they do, I tend to come to the defense of the consumer getting the most for their money.

Another point I failed to raise in my previous post is some assume all anyone wants or needs to run is Mavericks. If the user wants to have a dual boot option into Windows then 8GB of RAM is even more important.

So what? Make it 8GB RAM and it's still $100 cheaper that the day before it was released with newer, better, and faster components. That means your real issue is that people you think that are beneath you will now have access to this MBP. And yet you shouldn't think that since you're the one that feels entitled to get more for less, not them. If you don't like it then don't buy it but claims that Apple should give you more and using your opinion as to what is a good enough profit margin for them is ridiculous. It's not your decision to make and yet you can't be happy for others that would have otherwise not been able to get a MBP now able to get one that fits their needs and pay less for more performance over the previous generation. You make me sick.
  • Reply 108 of 126
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I guess my questions would be why drop the specs on a entry level pro model?

The entry Pro (the cMBP) always had 4GB. They are trying to ultimately replace the cMBP with the rMBP so it makes sense to use whatever options allow them to do that without killing the margins.
    Will be interesting to see how many units sell.

Why? Their entry cMBP model is the same as before.
  • Reply 109 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

So what? Make it 8GB RAM and it's still $100 cheaper that the day before it was released with newer, better, and faster components. That means your real issue is that people you think that are beneath you will now have access to this MBP. And yet you shouldn't think that since you're the one that feels entitled to get more for less, not them. If you don't like it then don't buy it but claims that Apple should give you more and using your opinion as to what is a good enough profit margin for them is ridiculous. It's not your decision to make and yet you can't be happy for others that would have otherwise not been able to get a MBP now able to get one that fits their needs and pay less for more performance over the previous generation. You make me sick.

We can't have a debate until you get past this "beneath you" nonsense. If you enjoy paying more for less. Go for it. Have a blast.

• Reply 110 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The entry Pro (the cMBP) always had 4GB. They are trying to ultimately replace the cMBP with the rMBP so it makes sense to use whatever options allow them to do that without killing the margins.

Why? Their entry cMBP model is the same as before.

I get your point now. Get the rMBP close to the price of the non retina so they can drop that model. Good point didn't think of it that way.

• Reply 111 of 126
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    It makes sense. Learn to read.

ok, can you tell me what your statement has to do with your claim of Apple double testing RAM?

Who said Apple doubles anything? This is about accepting RAM that has been passed higher standards of testing, not about doing the same test twice.

You did, here http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160544/review-apples-late-2013-13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/40#post_2429529
  • Reply 112 of 126
    jfanning wrote: »
    ok, can you tell me what your statement has to do with your claim of Apple double testing RAM?
    You did, here http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160544/review-apples-late-2013-13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/40#post_2429529

You're the only one that used the word double. Do you not know what double means? It means consisting of two equal, identical, or similar parts or things. It isn't defined as better, or additional, or deeper. It's also not defined as taking components that fit within stricter thresholds, which is what everyone has been referring to.. except you. You still think that if a component has the same common name they are somehow exactly the same. Shameful.
  • Reply 113 of 126

We can't have a debate until you get past this "beneath you" nonsense. If you enjoy paying more for less. Go for it. Have a blast.

You're absolutely right there. It's impossible to debate with someone who thinks MBP buyers that are happy to have Iris and 4GB of RAM aren't worthy of owning MBPs.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    Considering CPU, Gpu both use the ram 4 gb is probably 2-3(with the apple calculation 4gb other=6 gb apple) so you get ok ram but if you are getting a MacBook Pro because MacBook Air is not enough then you need 8gb(most are, but some just want the fancy screen at only $300) I would have hoped to see discrete graphics on more devices, and larger rams, SSD availible but less discrete graphics, new lower standard, and same (yet faster) SSD options.
  • Reply 115 of 126
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vash486 View Post

what about Image Retention on LG Panels? Anybody is mentioning it?

It is a major issue and that's stopping me from buying one. Pretty bad for Apple.

The huge discussion over at Apple forums about image retention still runs strong. The reports are mixed, some machines have image retention right out of the box, others don't but who knows what will happen with time. So, if you buy such a MacBook Pro, you are still playing the lottery regarding this specific issue. What a bummer.

• Reply 116 of 126
    ratsrats Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A lot of you here seem obsessed with Cash097's (throwaway) '$15' comment.

In the process, you're missing the larger point of his post: whether 128GB is sufficient anymore even for an entry level.

It's plenty if you don't store long term media files on your machine. A full blown setup for me takes up 87gigs including the OS.

That leaves roughly 40gb left over.

I have a developer and trader centric setup and don't need large library installed on my machine.  My setup includes MS Office, Xcode 5, Bitnami PHP stack, some trading apps, and a few utilities.

I also also keep a small iTunes install that's around 28gb in size.

The bulk of my media is in a 1.5TB drive connected to my router and accessible by all my computers and other devices like tablets and phones.

Having an additional 128gb of HD space on my machine wouldn't really add anything, for me at least.

So yes, 128gb is still plenty, even for "professionals".

I do have a few 65gb SD cards that contain VMs for old VB.net apps I still update but I would like to keep them on a mobile storage device anyway.

• Reply 117 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Apple didn't really lower the bar in terms of the whole package.

Remember, they added Memory Compression (4GB = 6GB) and other tricks in resource management to improve performance and endurance.

• Reply 118 of 126
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    My iTunes music is 160gb alone lol
  • Reply 119 of 126
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rats View Post

So yes, 128gb is still plenty, even for "professionals".

I would say it is plenty "only" for professionals, because they commonly use external storage. For the average user though, commonly relying on internal storage, 128 GB is a joke today.

• Reply 120 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PB View Post

I would say it is plenty "only" for professionals, because they commonly use external storage. For the average user though, commonly relying on internal storage, 128 GB is a joke today.

But that goes back to the original point, it makes sense that Apple starts it's Pro line at 128gb.

Also, with wireless ac routers being able to do real world transfers at 16mb/s it makes total sense going forward to attach a drive to your router and have access to all your media from all your devices.  Obviously this will take a while since router upgrades take forever for most people.