Former director of Siri now working with Samsung on 'internet of things' initiative

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bighype View Post

What a traitor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Gotta pay raise and a lofty title, eh? Just couldn't crack the hierarchy at Apple and your ego too frail to cope? Samsung is on the phone!

Come on people. As much as we all love Apple (and despise Samsung) we don't know what its like for the thousands of people who work there and from what we've read of third-party accounts it sounds like Apple is the kind of place where people could suffer from burn-out.  

Don't knock anyone for choosing a different employer or career.

• Reply 22 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Double answer, choose what you like:

That's because Apple designed the app for iOS.
    That's because Google designed the app for Android.

Google designed the current app for iOS.;) Marks answer may have been more accurate tho I doubt anyone is decades ahead of anyone else.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Double answer, choose what you like:

That's because Apple designed the app for iOS.
    That's because Google designed the app for Android.

Google designed the current app for iOS.;) Marks answer may have been more accurate tho I doubt anyone is decades ahead of anyone else.

I was referring to the Maps app the iPhone got when..oh, you know what I meant. The smiley is probably the giveaway for me.

But yes, you're right, Google is among the many companies offering a Maps app on iOS. Totally forgot about that.

Totally forgot about Google here, maybe I'm lost.
  • Reply 24 of 53

are we sure it's really him and not Luke Giulia? Samsung does have a funny way of copying innovating.

• Reply 25 of 53
    Sounds like many people here are pretty jealous or aggressive. This guy got a great job, he probably will help create somethign really cool, and I don't see why it should hurt Apple that Samsung starts making great products at last...

I would like to have a coffee machien that starts automatically when I get in the shower, and a bread-cooker-thing that gets my bread ready in time for me to eat it... and that kind of stuff.
    Done right, it could be controlled from my iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This just in.

Samsung has created a new company to combine not only the best of Apple and Samsung technology, but their names as well.

Unfortunately, the name of the new company, although technically accurate, leaves a lot to be desired...

"Sample"
  • Reply 27 of 53
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    On the topic of SIRI; what a missing opportunity for Apple... They let this one slip. I still remember using SIRI v1.0 before apple bought it, it had way more stuff you could do with it. Apple could have hired 300 people to just add a lovely AI of SIRI. Instead they have let it slip, and with only tiny updates here and there. SIRI could have been a major framework by now, allowing decent APIs and better AI results. It should have been made 1000 times more powerful, but as always Apple is taking it way too slowly.

I really hope Apple anno 2014-> starts kicking up services and get serious. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a new world in AI. Get on it.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Maria Hill: What does S.H.I.E.L.D. stand for, Agent Ward?

Grant Ward: Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.

Maria Hill: And what does that mean to you?

Grant Ward: It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out "shield."

What does SAMI stand for?

Samsung Architecture for Multimodal Interactions/b]

Yup
  • Reply 29 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Sounds like a good project, like a Bonjour-lite, and what Apple should be aiming for if they want to expand the ecosystem.  Marks for openness too, I think architectural stuff like this can be of much more benefit if its open and widely distributed.  Execution.... well let's wait and see.

I know a guy called Sami; he's alright.

• Reply 30 of 53

Where is jragosta, anyway?
  • Reply 31 of 53

...shhhhh!...
  • Reply 32 of 53
    The downside of buying companies to acquire their product (SIRI), is that the people you acquire with it do not have the same loyalty to Apple as those who are "native".

I will always consider Google and Samsung as tainted entities because of they way they have ripped off Apple's products and technologies. And I will always look less kindly on those who leave Apple to join them.
  • Reply 33 of 53

I would like to have a coffee machien that starts automatically when I get in the shower, and a bread-cooker-thing that gets my bread ready in time for me to eat it... and that kind of stuff.
    Done right, it could be controlled from my iPad.

Yeah, and I'd like my bread to wander over from my pantry and climb into the toaster, on command from my shower, but ain't gonna happen.....
  • Reply 34 of 53
    The downside of buying companies to acquire their product (SIRI), is that the people you acquire with it do not have the same loyalty to Apple as those who are "native".

I will always consider Google and Samsung as tainted entities because of they way they have ripped off Apple's products and technologies. And I will always look less kindly on those who leave Apple to join them.

How about people who leave Google to join Apple?
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Maria Hill: What does S.H.I.E.L.D. stand for, Agent Ward?

Grant Ward: Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.

Maria Hill: And what does that mean to you?

Grant Ward: It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out "shield."

What does SAMI stand for?

Samsung Architecture for Multimodal Interactions/b]

Yup

Better than Strategic Homeland Intervention Team. :p

• Reply 36 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

That's one way of looking at it.  Another would be that Apple need to keep their talented people interested and rewarded enough that they aren't reliant on "loyalty" to retain staff (or customers for that matter).  And/or accept that they can't be everything to everyone and that people will move on to other things.

The mindset of staff who have loyalty to a multi-billion dollar corporate entity is a bit odd anyway.

• Reply 37 of 53

...shhhhh!...

I think that'd apply better to k darling. Let jr in anytime; he brings in good info.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That's one way of looking at it.  Another would be that Apple need to keep their talented people interested and rewarded enough that they aren't reliant on "loyalty" to retain staff (or customers for that matter).  And/or accept that they can't be everything to everyone and that people will move on to other things.

The mindset of staff who have loyalty to a multi-billion dollar corporate entity is a bit odd anyway.

Besides, this is a business you're talking of, not a country or a religion. Loyalty to a business? Strange concept.

• Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, and I'd like my bread to wander over from my pantry and climb into the toaster, on command from my shower, but ain't gonna happen.....

I can envision technical solutions to solve the problem I outlined, at least. Yours, apart from using a wandering robot, which requires much higher technology, is pretty much impossible to solve without human intervention.

Then again, people couldn't understand the iPad or iPhone's possibilities a few years ago, so you can't be faulted for thinking the old "ain't gonna happen". Not everyone can "think different" ;)

• Reply 40 of 53
    I think that'd apply better to k darling. Let jr in anytime; he brings in good info.

It's not the info he adds, which I agree can add to the forum. It's the tone that causes backlash. Probably a moot point anyway as I suspect he's moved on to other things.