Nineteen years ago today Apple began selling iPod

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    I would love to own a new iPod Touch 64 GB for $199. More than that and it seems overpriced.

Apparently, this should be " I would love to own a new the iPod Touch 63gb for $199."

I hate it when people don't use adverbs proper.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    cjcoops wrote: »
    Apparently, this should be " I would love to own a new the iPod Touch 63gb for $199."

"63" gb? I hate it when stupid people pretend that they're smart.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    I remember when the original iPod came out.
    Interestingly, analyst thought Apple was going to compete with Palm with a hand held device. And that a** clown Ballmer scolded Apple for such an expensive device. LOL!!!!!! And in 2007 Ballmer did the same thing when iPhone came out. What does that tell you so far about Ballmer's tech creed? He ain't got none! Oh he tripped about iPad in 2010? Ballmer ain't sh**!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cjcoops wrote: »

What adverbs?
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Inavation that leads to the revolution from desktops, to laptops, to tablets, the current iPod nano, and shuffle are both still great designs(still thinking about the love for the nanos design), the touch not bad either.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    The first (the) iPod is still one of the most iconic designs of all time. I remember my cousin showing it to me and it seemed like a paradigm shift in personal music players.

The fact that it packed 5GB of space meant that all my music would fit on it!!

By the time I bought my (the) iPod, it was the 3G 40GB one. It clearly was not enough and I now have the latest (or last) iPod classic 160GB model. That still has about 40GB of free space for more music. I use it in my car.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    I still have my 160Gb 7th gen Classic. Best part about it, it looks just like the day I took it out of the box. not even a scratch on it. Thanks to my Best Skin Ever on it though :P
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Miss my old 1.5 gen iPod. Synaptic click wheel, FireWire, portal sound chip, and SQ that made the current gen sound like garbage. It just worked so perfectly, and was an amazingly well designed bit of tech.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    droodroo Posts: 27member
    My family of four has purchased, since 2003, 2 full size iPods, 4 Shuffles, 4 Nanos, 3 iPod touches, and we just purchased our 4th iPhone. The shuffles and the touches are in drawers but the rest are still in nearly daily use.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    I loved the ipod mini. It smashed the competition, and that clickwheel was so good!

Couldn't have got an ipod 3G. Clickwheel ftw!

iPad doesn't even capitalise ipod any more, so sad :-(
  • Reply 31 of 45
    I'm waiting for a new iPod Classic with wifi (I hope) and new lightning connector...my music library Is now over 65gb.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Interesting tidbit: according to the new Jony Ive bio coming out this week Steve was not initially a fan of white products. Jony and his team produced a bunch of prototypes in different shades of white and finally got Steve on board. Also other execs at Apple weren't on board with white headphones because nobody else was doing white and they said headphones aren't supposed to be white. It's amazing to think about now considering Apple's huge advertising campaign centered around white headphones.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Nice to reminisce, but why are you lot talking like the iPod is dead? It'll probably be the name of a new "iWatch" family.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit: according to the new Jony Ive bio coming out this week Steve was not initially a fan of white products. Jony and his team produced a bunch of prototypes in different shades of white and finally got Steve on board. Also other execs at Apple weren't on board with white headphones because nobody else was doing white and they said headphones aren't supposed to be white. It's amazing to think about now considering Apple's huge advertising campaign centered around white headphones.

I scream BS. Everyone knows Jobs designed everything and is always right. /s
  • Reply 35 of 45

The iPod is not retired.  Apple updates the iPods every two years, instead of one.  The 160GB iPod Classic is still sold by Apple and people that want their entire music collection with them are the customers that buy that model.  It has not been updated lately because it does not need any further updating.  It does exactly what it was designed to do, store a large library of media.  I use the 160GB model in my car and take it with me on vacations so I can have my entire collection with me, not a limited selection on an iPhone or small capacity iPod Touch.  The cloud is a joke, doesn't match music properly, and I don't want to rely on an internet connection to listen to my music (especially with a limited data plan).

• Reply 36 of 45
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, I meant you should used the 'the' before 'iPod'. Otherwise you end up sounding like a wannabe Steve and it's cringeworthy.

Oh, I see. I’m mixed about doing that. Generally I still use ‘the’, but I’ll drop it if I start a sentence with the product name.

• Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cjcoops View Post

Yikes. 

Please avoid posts regarding grammar. If you don't believe me, please re-read your post once again, carefully.

• Reply 38 of 45
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please avoid posts regarding grammar. If you don't believe me, please re-read your post once again, carefully.

I think he was making a joke to that effect.

• Reply 39 of 45
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

I still have my original, 5 GB 1st gen iPod. For years, I just had it permanently plugged into the power supply at my bedside for listening before I went to sleep.

Recently, the hard drive started making noises and it stopped functioning. The last song it played was "Strawberry Fields Forever"...which means its last words were "I buried Paul". (...or, if you believe the Paul McCartney replacement quoted on Wikipedia, "cranberry sauce")

I don't know if it's worth trying to repair, or even possible. (I have a clip-on type iPod shuffle which has taken it's place while it's down.) It was hardly pristine- it got used fairly hard. But it lived a good, long reliable life.

• Reply 40 of 45
    Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

I don't know if it's worth trying to repair, or even possible.

Should be. Just find a 1.8” HDD on eBay.