Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year

Comments

• Reply 81 of 223
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Because you offered too?  :shrug:

I offered to provide a link to a person’s ability to remember.

I understand you may have missed it, but that’s sarcasm.

;)

• Reply 82 of 223
    relic wrote: »
    I used Apple Maps probably twice in the last year, both times I found the features sparse. So after this article I fired it up, looks really nice on the iPad Air but is still missing public transportation like bus lines and trains. A feature I use quite a bit when traveling. You just click on the little bus icon and it gives the times or you can search. Now that I have a Nokia 1020, Nokia Maps is defiantly the better of the three, transit, traffic, good restaurants connected to Yelp, best turn by turn NAV I have ever seen yet on a map program, places of interest around you, the app is also connected to your photo library so you can see where all of your photos were taken, you can add favorite places marked by thumb pins and shows your photos if you have any. Which is cool if you want a friend to take a certain route and see some of the sites, your friend will be able to see your photos as well and he can even add his own? I know there are apps for 360 moveable photos but the Nokia comes with a app and it is fantastic for this purpose. The list of features goes on but the question is, is Apple Maps just limited because I live in Switzerland. What do you guys see in America?

As the article mentioned, Apple has acquired several companies that provide transit services.

It is interesting that Nokia, while selling its Devices and Services business to Microsoft -- it has retained its Mapping Services.

There is no reason that Apple couldn't contract back-end Mapping Services and Transit Services from Nokia.

Nokia owns Navteq, who provides Street View and Indoor Mapping services -- these, too, could be contracted by Apple to further flesh out Apple Maps.

At first, Nokia's Indoor Mapping Service appears to conflict with Apple's acquisition of WiFiSlam... But, it really doesn't. WiFiSlam doesn't actually provide indoor maps -- rather it assumes they exist. WiFiSlam provides a means of accurate indoor navigation and tracking.

Had Google contained their greed, they could have provided all these back-end services to Apple.
  • Reply 83 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm not aware of any reliable sources supporting assertions that Google chose to "drag it's heels" or "ration updates" to Apple users, tho it's not hard to find opinions on either side. If ya got some links proving who dunnit feel free to share 'em tho.

Philosophy seems more your style than mine tho I've heard there's quotes for every occasion. So whatever your viewpoint there's probably something out there that serves your purpose. If not your're a witty guy so I'm sure you can come up with something that's good for a funny distraction if nothing else.image

Turn by turn directions on Android 2.0 (2009).

No turn by turn directions on iOS from Google until after Apple Maps (Google Maps app 2012).

I don't think I need supporting sources for the assertion that Google chose to drag it's heels...

• Reply 84 of 223
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    serendip wrote: »
    Turn by turn directions on Android 2.0 (2009).
    No turn by turn directions on iOS from Google until after Apple Maps (Google Maps app 2012).

I don't think I need supporting sources for the assertion that Google chose to drag it's heels...

There were claims Google wanted to but Apple put up roadblocks (too?). Some of the rumors include Apple wouldn't agree to label it as Google Maps or share the data Apple was collecting with it.. There's lots of rumors around so whatever you want to believe is as valid as anyone else's guess unless one of the players decides to comment.
  • Reply 85 of 223
    flaneur wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That's the way I see it too. Google was going to be dumped at some point no matter how much they cow-towed to Apple.

Kow-towed?

Like saying. Oh sorry, we forgot to give your iOS users turn-by-turn, and Of course, sorry, we won't track your users anymore and compile their search histories so we can sell them out to our advertisers. That kind of kow-towing?

Kow-Toad?

Apple wrote the original Apple Maps that used Google data as a back-end. I don't believe that Apple ever provided any information to Google that could be used for tracking or compiling search histories -- except on an aggregate level: e.g. 100 users are looking for directions from Albany to Poughkeepsie.

That level of information allows Google to refine its product and services, while, at the same time, allows Apple to protect the privacy and autonomy of its users.

Now I must get back to work... I am writing a iOS navigation app using iBeacons...

I dropped one of my beacons, and I can't find it... Sigh?
  • Reply 86 of 223
    droidftw wrote: »
    focher wrote: »

I live in reality. That describes all companies. However, the ones with no other revenue model other than selling my personal information are not very interesting to me.

At first you said Apple doesn't sell personal info, but I'm glad to see you came around to admit that they do.  It's a common misnomer around these parts that they don't.

I don't believe that Apple collects or sells "personal info" on an individual basis. They do, however, compile aggregate totals which they use to sell advertising, assist developers.

For example, Apple saves data (for accounting and customer history) that says:

DroidFTW visited the App store on this date and bought these apps...

But, what it uses to sell ads and help developers is:

In the Month of October, 2013, 5,000 different visitors visited the App store between 5:00 and 6:00 PST. During this time the apps reviewed were..... and the apps purchased were....
  • Reply 87 of 223
    When I search for Hillsdale, NY Maps only finds Hillsdale, NJ. That's a problem.
  • Reply 88 of 223
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I don't believe that Apple collects or sells "personal info" on an individual basis.

I believe Apple does collect personal information, and Apple themselves say they do right there in their privacy policy (that few ever bother to read). They even say they may use it for advertising purposes. Like you tho I don't believe they sell that personal information anymore than Google does. Both say it's a prohibited practice.
  • Reply 89 of 223
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by decponstruction View Post

When I search for Hillsdale, NY Maps only finds Hillsdale, NJ. That's a problem.

A problem you've reported?

• Reply 90 of 223
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I guess they prematurely fired the maps guy....
  • Reply 91 of 223
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    disturbia wrote: »
    I've stopped using anything that has to do with google since 2008! And, I didn't die!

Try it and see for yourself.

Here's to a world without google...
    not so fast tiger. You still need google for search. However duck duck go should be made an option.
  • Reply 92 of 223
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    not so fast tiger. You still need google for search. However duck duck go should be made an option.
    I use Bing, are you claiming they are not a search engine without Google? :???:
  • Reply 93 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's not really about profit. It's about controlling the experience, being masters of their own fate, and not relying on their biggest competitor for one of their most important apps. Now that Apple has maps in house, the possibilities of how they can extend and expand it within its own ecosystem are endless. If they stayed with Google, there would have so many political, and technical obstacles to doing what they really wanted to do and having deep integration with their own services. They had no choice.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's the way I see it too. Google was going to be dumped at some point no matter how much they cow-towed to Apple.

What short memories everyone seems to have!  Remember Google denying pre version 6 iOS access to turn-by-turn navigation, Street View and playing hard-ball by insisting on greater access to user details? Who was kow-towing to whom?

• Reply 94 of 223
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    droidftw wrote: »
    SIRI uses Bing now.
    Yes and Bing is shit.
  • Reply 95 of 223
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As the article mentioned, Apple has acquired several companies that provide transit services.

It is interesting that Nokia, while selling its Devices and Services business to Microsoft -- it has retained its Mapping Services.

There is no reason that Apple couldn't contract back-end Mapping Services and Transit Services from Nokia.

Nokia owns Navteq, who provides Street View and Indoor Mapping services -- these, too, could be contracted by Apple to further flesh out Apple Maps.

At first, Nokia's Indoor Mapping Service appears to conflict with Apple's acquisition of WiFiSlam... But, it really doesn't. WiFiSlam doesn't actually provide indoor maps -- rather it assumes they exist. WiFiSlam provides a means of accurate indoor navigation and tracking.

Had Google contained their greed, they could have provided all these back-end services to Apple.

Thanks for the info, I was really currios. Everyone here is praising Apple Maps but on my iPad it's a pretty plain app and defiantly not my first choice, nespecially when compared to Nokia Maps and Google Maps. That's great news that they have acquired the necessary companies to make it a better competing product because as of right now Google Maps is the better service but I think Apple Maps looks and performs better and would prefer to use it. I think Microsoft will just dump Bing Maps as it's no different then Apples offering in terms oh features, Nokia is defiantly the way to go, it's a really good mapping service.

• Reply 96 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Yes and Bing is shit.

Agreed, I am so happy my Nokia allows you to change the default search engine to Google. Bing just sucks so bad, it misses so many results that MS should really be ashamed of themselves. You guys can all hate Google as much as you want but one thing for sure they know how to make a search engine. Apple should dump it.

• Reply 97 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

What short memories everyone seems to have!  Remember Google denying pre version 6 iOS access to turn-by-turn navigation, Street View and playing hard-ball by insisting on greater access to user details? Who was kow-towing to whom?

...and what iOS apps are available for Android, let's see, none. You know iTunes, iPhotos, Pages, Numbers, ect, would be well received on that platform.  Apple allows Facebook on their platform and that access's your contacts. I personally wouldn't allow that app anywhere near any platform.

• Reply 98 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I use Bing, are you claiming they are not a search engine without Google? image

They are just not in the same league as Google, I say their worst then Yahoo Altavista, probably in the same league as Lycos.

• Reply 99 of 223
    adonissmu wrote: »

Believe me, if I can, everyone can!

Duck Duck Go is my primary one and one of many options. Bing is also your friend... ;)

Search for Google alternatives .... Sooooo many to choose to live google free!
  • Reply 100 of 223
    Neither Google or Apple maps works well in China because they have inadequate server infrastructure and the apps have to lad too much data before maps display.

So most Chinese users of iOS and Android use BaiDu Maps, which load in about 2 seconds or less even in areas with EDGE instead of 3G or LTE service, have complete mass transit and traffic info and a big user base to draw data from.

In terms of market share, iOS trails Android by a wide margin in China yet still has high mindshare. If Apple was really serious about expanding Chinese market, they could take the opportunity to develop Maps and other service apps for China and push that hard because Google tripped over its own feet when they left China and as the market reaches saturation, they face a downside.

But I seriously doubt that will happen. Despite all the noise, Apple still has done the bare minimum to integrate iOS for the Chinese market that is of practical value to users. It has excellent Chinese input and the devices are as good as ever, but we just don't get much love from Apple on software and services so remain 2nd class citizens.

Listen up, Tim. Apple is under-performing here and missing an opportunity to trump Google.