Rumor: Apple exploring pressure-sensitive iPhones with curved glass displays up to 5.5"

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92

Only speaking for myself, and admiting I am somewhat style conscious. When I see people using these huge phones that I call " ping pong paddles " I just laugh at how absurd they look. I don't see the benefit of these huge phones vs the drawback of carrying around that bulky ugly device with you everywhere you go. Its like wearing one of those clips with your phone on your belt, or one of those blue tooth ear piece things. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Makes me wonder if the person is a slave to their job or something. My grandmother does have a giant Samsung phone but she can't see that well, so in theory it should to be helpful. However nothing looks very clear on her device anyway.

For me, my iPhone 5 is the perfect size. I carry a vert small wallet, keep two keys on my keyring and like a light phone that easily fits in any pocket. I might buy a slightly larger one if Apple made one and kept the overall dimensions barely changed. However the 5 does everything I want it to do. If I wanted to watch videos at length I would use an iPad or laptop. I have no desire to carry around a bulky device that I don't need. I see it as a move backward not forward.

When I see a cell phone over 5", I think modern day fanny pack.

• Reply 82 of 92

I'm not so sure the majority wants larger and larger cell phones.

• Reply 83 of 92

Penis envy.

• Reply 84 of 92
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

Unless you're Mickey Mouse, you can't operate a Shitsung S3 or S4 with one hand. Looking content is always better on a larger screen, but the question is, can you really make it larger beyond the normal operable limits of a human hand? That's the kind of thing Apple understands and spends in R&D for. All Shitsung and its brethrens want is money money money with a larger market share, any way they can.

Look I'm not shitting on Apple here. I am a long time Apple user and therefor big fan (15+years). I am just saying what I observe from my friends who switched from iPhones to larger Samsung phones. I have long time been prone to these 4.-5 inch phones but I got chance to play with these S3 and S4 phone and they are really not that much hard to operate from one hand. People love these large screens especially business people who need to show some content to some other. Showing this in iPhone 4 or even iPhone 5 looks like a joke to bigger Samsung phones. I'm just saying, I'm sure apple can come with a bigger screen and make it very useful and even appealing to those who switched to other phones because of the lack of larger screen. The only reason I saw my co-workers and friends switch from iPhone to Samsung is the screen and nothing else. They love the simplicity and usefulness of iOS but large screen is what they made them switch... just sayin...

• Reply 85 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jume View Post

The only reason I saw my co-workers and friends switch from iPhone to Samsung is the screen and nothing else. They love the simplicity and usefulness of iOS but large screen is what they made them switch... just sayin...

Given about a year or two and I bet almost all of these people will switch back, wait and see.

Although, Apple doesn't need nor should they pursue every cell phone user on earth, unless they are looking for antitrust suits. If any business professional tried to show me content on their cell phone, I wouldn't take them seriously at all. If they were trying to show me content on some large Samsung phone I wouldn't take them seriously and I would think they have poor taste with especially poor design and aesthetic values. I'm an Architect so my industry is more design driven, but still loos the fanny pack phone already. 

• Reply 86 of 92
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonH View Post

Given about a year or two and I bet almost all of these people will switch back, wait and see.

Although, Apple doesn't need nor should they pursue every cell phone user on earth, unless they are looking for antitrust suits. If any business professional tried to show me content on their cell phone, I wouldn't take them seriously at all. If they were trying to show me content on some large Samsung phone I wouldn't take them seriously and I would think they have poor taste with especially poor design and aesthetic values. I'm an Architect so my industry is more design driven, but still loos the fanny pack phone already. 

I am not saying apple should pursue every cell phone user on earth. But these are plain simple business users, that travel around for business and need to show some other people product photos and videos and plain simple these look better on 4.5 or 5 inch phones than on 3.5-4 inch phones. And I can speak to my self to. I'm not going to switch to Android, because I hate their philosophy, their lack of taste and the fragmentation of SW for that purpose. But I am seeing my self likely to like 4.5 inch iPhone much more then current 4 inch models, just because they give me more clearer picture to what I look. It's better to see more and bigger and to have to move 2 hands from time to time, then to just struggle with smaller screen just because Apple says it's cool. And no those people will not switch back to smaller screen, I said the same to them, but they are dead sure they are not switching back to smaller screen ever! Even Android SW is not as bad as it used to be so people my sacrifice some of the iOS-Apple ease of use to big screen. I know Apple knows that too, and I see that future top of the line iPhones will use bigger screen. Just because they should!

• Reply 87 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jume View Post

I am not saying apple should pursue every cell phone user on earth. But these are plain simple business users, that travel around for business and need to show some other people product photos and videos and plain simple these look better on 4.5 or 5 inch phones than on 3.5-4 inch phones. And I can speak to my self to. I'm not going to switch to Android, because I hate their philosophy, their lack of taste and the fragmentation of SW for that purpose. But I am seeing my self likely to like 4.5 inch iPhone much more then current 4 inch models, just because they give me more clearer picture to what I look. It's better to see more and bigger and to have to move 2 hands from time to time, then to just struggle with smaller screen just because Apple says it's cool. And no those people will not switch back to smaller screen, I said the same to them, but they are dead sure they are not switching back to smaller screen ever! Even Android SW is not as bad as it used to be so people my sacrifice some of the iOS-Apple ease of use to big screen. I know Apple knows that too, and I see that future top of the line iPhones will use bigger screen. Just because they should!

We are somewhat in agreement in that a 4.5 isn't that much bigger and even a 5" depends on how it is executed. On the other hand if a business user ( salesman ) wants to show me products that I might buy, then they better at least present it on a iPad mini sized device, preferably a larger at least 10" screen. How can I take a salesman seriously if he or his firm is going to give a presentation on their cell phone. I'm just saying for me I want a cell phone that is not too large to fit in a shirt pocket or pants pocket. I don't see a much larger phone as a technological advancement at all, quite the opposite. I can't help to laugh when I see these people using the huge phones. Now a small phone that could project a sharp lager image, that would be a step forward, but if I'm going to present to a client, I would be completely embarrassed and feel very unprofessional using any cell phone on the market. In fact I would quit any firm that would only pay for a cell phone as a client presentation tool. I'm just saying for me I think a phone larger than 5" is silly, and I'm sure all of us would draw the line somewhere. In my opinion I don't think the market for huge phones is that large on a comparative basis. To me the pros far outweigh the cons of carrying this thing around everywhere you go. I love my iPad but I don't want that to become my phone. 

• Reply 88 of 92
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post

This isn't the view of the majority iPhone still owns the high end market. Apple following the example of Samsung is the worst thing the company could ever do in the history of the brand. Apple doesn't follow, it leads, they introduced the iPad for a reason. Anything much bigger than 4 inches is no longer a phone, it's an undersized tablet. If apple really has to make bigger screens just add phone capability to the iPad mini but don't humor anything by calling it an iPhone. It'll be a cellular enabled iPad. Note 3 isn't a phone its an undersized tablet that can call.

I can prove you wrong on that. Anything bigger than 4" is still a phone AS LONG AS the phone size is not significantly larger. Apple can go to 4.5" screen, edge to edge without increasing the iPhone size or even go to 5" screen with the width of the phone at the same size as iPhone 5s + bumper and a-pencil-width taller. 

• Reply 89 of 92
    I'm not an Apple fan -- nor a hater. I type this from my iPhone..... But no rational human tech user can possibly state that the god-awful looking mockup depicted with more rows and columns of icons could ever resemble something that could come out of Cupertino. If a bigger screen ever does see the light of day, it will have to be accompanied with some sort of updated UI paradigm as well.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    crysisftw wrote: »
    Larger screen? Curved display? Please be kidding...

I don't believe it either, but if Ming-Chi Kuo says that Bigfoot personally asked Tim Cook for a 5.5-inch curved glass iPhone, AppleInsider would report it with a reminder of Ming-Chi Kuo's impeccable track record.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    bxd000 wrote: »
    I'm not an Apple fan -- nor a hater. I type this from my iPhone..... But no rational human tech user can possibly state that the god-awful looking mockup depicted with more rows and columns of icons could ever resemble something that could come out of Cupertino. If a bigger screen ever does see the light of day, it will have to be accompanied with some sort of updated UI paradigm as well.

You should have seen the iPhone and iPad mock ups on the web that pre-dated the unveilings of the actual products. The people who created the mock ups got it completely wrong. Apple's ideas always surprisingly simpler, more elegant than what people imagined. If the iWatch is real, it's not going to be anything like Samsung's Gear, which turned out to be exactly like the kind of mock-ups people used to create for the then-rumored iPhone / iPad: clunky adaptations of existing products and UIs into another form factor.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You should have seen the iPhone and iPad mock ups on the web that pre-dated the unveilings of the actual products.