Comments

• Reply 141 of 223
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    He can claim growth. 
    I hope so. We all should.
  • Reply 142 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Agreed, I am so happy my Nokia allows you to change the default search engine to Google. Bing just sucks so bad, it misses so many results that MS should really be ashamed of themselves. You guys can all hate Google as much as you want but one thing for sure they know how to make a search engine. Apple should dump it.

No they can't. Their search engine might produce a few more results but man are those results crap.

I've been using Yahoo purely because it isn't Google and because it gives just as crap results but isn't Google. :-)

• Reply 143 of 223
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I hope so. We all should.

Think you missed the subtext. :p

• Reply 144 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

sorry but duck duck go and google are better than bing. Im not using google inside a msft wrapper.

It's actually Yahoo inside an MSFT wrapper only Bing's results are sadly lacking.

I do notice that Bing has a beta label beside it now.

• Reply 145 of 223
    hill60 wrote: »
    I would rather use "shit" than use Google, it's a better alternative.
    Agreed. This reminds me of the joke where the man dies and ends up in hell. Once there he is given three choices of how he would like to spend eternity. In the first room, people are standing for all eternity in a pool of fecal matter that is waist deep. Asking to see the next choice, he is shown a similar room only now the pool of fecal matter is chest deep. Still unsure, he is shown the last room. There he finds the condemned sitting around in rocking chairs drinking coffee and smoking, while the pool of fecal matter is only knee deep. "This is for me!", he exclaims, and hurriedly takes a seat. No sooner than he has received his cup of coffee and cigarettes, he hears a bell ringing and a loud voice saying, "Okay, coffee break is over, everyone back on your heads!"

Sure other search engines are shit, but I'm not standing on my head for Google! Wise up everyone, coffee break is over!
  • Reply 146 of 223
    okvalle wrote: »
    I can't use Apple Maps where I live. The sattellite images are just bad

We have Microsoft to thank for.

http://techpp.com/2012/06/12/apple-sourcing-maps-data-microsoft-bing-maps/
  • Reply 147 of 223
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Sorry off topic:

I'm waiting for Apple][ to login and tell us that he hates charity and that the Red Cross is a scam while millions of Filipinos are  suffering without food, water and shelter. Please go to redcross.org and donate.

• Reply 148 of 223
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    hill60 wrote: »
    I just press a button on my steering wheel and say "Siri, take me home" and it does.
    I'd risk running into far too much traffic if I were to do that. You must live where there are better drivers. Though your faith in some electronics is very sweet.
  • Reply 149 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

In my area at least, Apple's maps have been significantly more accurate than Google from day one. It doesn't even cross my mind to use Google anymore.

You are one of the lucky ones.  I keep giving Apple Maps another shot, and it keeps giving me bad directions.  I asked Siri to "navigate me to Sage restaurant" in nearby Alpharetta, about 3 miles from my office.  Instead it tried to send me to a restaurant of the same name in Chattanooga.  Oy.

• Reply 150 of 223
    I dropped one of my beacons, and I can't find it... Sigh?

But you use iOS devices for your iBeacons (app). Can't you play a sound through Find My iPhone?
  • Reply 151 of 223
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    There's probably a lot of smartphones used as feature phones, and Apple has their share of users in that category too. But we've had the discussion before here about Android currently being used for feature phones. No one successfully found one yet but you can be the first!

I bet you the pct of Android users using it as a feature phone is higher than that of iPhone users.

As for Android feature phones, it's probably listed under 'other'. :)
  • Reply 152 of 223
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Quote:

Do you think Apple would be trying to integrate their own profitable services to replace Google ones anyway no matter what Google did or didn't do? Apple has a history of creating their own baked-in features to replace popular 3rd party ones, not that there's anything surprising about that. IMO Apple would be replacing Google services anyway as they saw opportunities for more profit, just perhaps not as quickly as they recently have.

Google Map on iOS was already profitable for Apple. Google was paying Apple to have Google Map as the default. Rumors of up to $1 billion. (I'm not sure if that was per year or for the 5 year contract.)  When that 5 year contracted ended, it's not sure who decided not to renew it. If Google thought they would always be the first choice by iOS users when they release their app for Google Map and decided they didn't want to pay Apple any more for being the default, looks like it was a bad business decision on their part. 

But if Apple decided they no longer wanted Google Map as the default, I don't think it was because of profitability. I don't think Apple can ever make up the money that Google was paying them (for being the default) by providing their own maps. The only way Apple was going to recoup that money is to provide a mapping service superior to Google Map so that more people want to buy iOS devices. (Or at the least prevent present iOS device owners from jumping ship.) And it looks like it might get to that point sooner that expected.  The money they receive from advertising dollars is just a rounding error when compared to hardware sales. I don't recall it having it's own line in the financial reports. I think it's lumped together with other stuff like software, AppleCare, Apps and iTunes. 

• Reply 153 of 223
    Quote:

Do you think Apple would be trying to integrate their own profitable services to replace Google ones anyway no matter what Google did or didn't do? Apple has a history of creating their own baked-in features to replace popular 3rd party ones, not that there's anything surprising about that. IMO Apple would be replacing Google services anyway as they saw opportunities for more profit, just perhaps not as quickly as they recently have.

Nope. This seems like such a silly argument. google's "defensive" move against a presumed, possible, distant, future attack has resulted in them being completely hypocritical, finding them entering numerous areas where they are in competition with Apple, whereas Apple has fulfilled google's paranoid scenario in only a couple areas. If you want to get technical, of course there would eventually be some overlap (it'd be impossible not to, as feckless google sticks its nose in every aspect of the internet just to see what will stick). But, it seems obvious that this was a bad move on google's part; it would be silly to try and argue that google would not be much better off, with a more substantial base for future resiliency, if they had just decided to ally with Apple instead of stab them in the back. Now google faces a future where mobile will continue to eat away at any growth potential, and where google is being replaced by myriad other services, including those from the most powerful tech company on the planet. You reap what you sow.

• Reply 154 of 223
    relic wrote: »
    Hey, she's awake. At least 15 minutes ago. I switched the default search engine on my iPad's Safari to Bing a few weeks ago just to give it a fair chance. I must agree with you—it misses a lot of results that Google catches. Also seems to have more junk at the top. Will probably be switching back to Google soon, as much as I dislike them they do have search in the bag.

As for Apple maps, I have had very few problems. Even navigated us through some wild parts of New Zealand recently without a hitch. Haven't missed Google Maps at all.
    Yep, I'm usually awake between 1:00 till 2:30am then I pass out gain. I had an operation today so I was out the entire day, woke up to a new central line in my chest, yaaay for plastic stuff inside me. I just opened my eyes <span style="line-height:1.4em;">up about 40 minutes ago as I had to use the bathroom which is usually a large ordeal. It takes 2 nurses to get me out of bed and put on a portable potty chair which is the most disgusting thing ever. Then they take off the only piece of clothing I have on which is a hospital gown. So I'm sitting on a chair with wheels, and a  hole in the middle where a bucket is fitted, naked in front of two, sometimes three people who are their to makes ure I don't fall off which I've done twice trying to go to the bathroom on Morphine, well now</span>
    Fentanyl<span style="line-height:1.4em;">. Talk about a just shoot me dead moment. Do to unpopular belief girls toot, especially when they haven't gone in a while which adds to the fun even more. Then of course you have those over zealous nurses who feels it's her or his duty to make sure your clean afterwards, God help me.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">This tidbit of life with terminal cancer has been brought to you by the letter F as in @#%^ this. Sorry if this grossed anyone out but I just don't care anymore.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">That's great that Apple Maps does everything you need it to do. It's just that after using Google Maps for long and now Nokia Maps, Apples offering has a little ways to go before it can compare and I would use it but it seems that it shouldn't be much longer till they catch up feature wise. </span>

Scheiße!  Hang in there...  Thinking good thoughts!
  • Reply 155 of 223
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Apple is a hardware company first and software company second.

I think SJ would disagree with you, he recognize very early the indissociable nature of the hardware and the software to make great things. The original apple got is success due to its ROM full softwares and tools or the greatly simplify disk drive controller with uses of clever software. Look at the original Macintosh, who could boot a fully illustrated OS and Apps with 128KB of ram without any special hardware or coprocessor, there is a lots of software cleverness under the hood of any Apple stuffs.  

Beside I wonder whats people are really complaining about Apple Maps vs any others, I've never experienced my self any lets down yet with the latest version of Apple Maps and the iPhone 5s. but here some of the points I can sums up, I can miss some.
    • Map data: Since they are 3 or 4 players of maps Data around the globe and Apple already using 2 of the most renown company: Tomtom and NavTeq, I found strange that people can complain about that, Nokia have bought NavTeq and Google is playing alone. 
    • Tracking precision: I've been frustrated many time with past phone, never been able to track me or even show the maps at critical time, but theses things goes better at every generation of hardware, this is not a software issue. I don't "jump" in the middle of nowhere every time I go in a tunnel now. 
    • UI and general usages: Google themselves applauded Apple when they first saw the iPhone implementation of Google Map.  I found google map very frustrating to use on many level and Apple Map has never let me down yet. 

People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.
    -Alan Kay-
  • Reply 156 of 223
    philboogie wrote: »
    I dropped one of my beacons, and I can't find it... Sigh?

But you use iOS devices for your iBeacons (app). Can't you play a sound through Find My iPhone?

Ha!

It was my feeble attempt at humor.

Actually, I did drop a beacon:

https://www.sticknfind.com

and it was leaning, out of sight, up against a chair leg.

Frustrated, i looked for it in vain for a few moments -- before it dawned on me that I could use the iPhone to locate it, play a sound and flash its LED... Duh!

Aside: In my 74 years I've seen a lot of disruptive technology, including personal computers, iDevices, etc.

But, none like this:

A < $20 beacon, similar to the one above, will sell in multiple billions and forever change how we interface the world around us.
  • Reply 157 of 223

I LOVE GOOGLE MAPS I USE I0S7 NOW,  GOOGLE MAPS STILL RUNNING VERY GOOD

• Reply 158 of 223
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Nope. This seems like such a silly argument. google's "defensive" move against a presumed, possible, distant, future attack has resulted in them being completely hypocritical, finding them entering numerous areas where they are in competition with Apple, whereas Apple has fulfilled google's paranoid scenario in only a couple areas. If you want to get technical, of course there would eventually be some overlap (it'd be impossible not to, as feckless google sticks its nose in every aspect of the internet just to see what will stick). But, it seems obvious that this was a bad move on google's part; it would be silly to try and argue that google would not be much better off, with a more substantial base for future resiliency, if they had just decided to ally with Apple instead of stab them in the back. Now google faces a future where mobile will continue to eat away at any growth potential, and where google is being replaced by myriad other services, including those from the most powerful tech company on the planet. You reap what you sow.

Google used their maps software aggressively against Apple by crippling it on iOS devices in the hope it would prompt a switch to Android to get their full navigation experience.

Apple countered by booting them out and it didn't take long for Google to come weaselling back in with their maps the way they should have been all along.

Tough cookies Google, business is business.

• Reply 159 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I thought almost everyone agreed that there are far more Android smartphones in use than there are iPhones. So if less than half of all smartphone users are using Google Maps what are all those Android users using?

Not everyone needs Maps. For example:

Here, Portugal, most Android users I know use TMN maps, because it allows you to download the entire map of the country and access it offline.

• Reply 160 of 223
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

No they can't. Their search engine might produce a few more results but man are those results crap.

I've been using Yahoo purely because it isn't Google and because it gives just as crap results but isn't Google. :-)

Each to his own I guess, I predominately look at programming sites and out of all the search engines Google has always found the answer to my question in the quickest and most accurate manner. I really dislike Yahoo, I would use Bing, there is this great little program for my Windows 8 tablet that searches all of the web engines including Wikipedia and custom options all at once and then sorts out the duplicates. I use that more then anything, sometimes Bing or Yahoo will come up with a result that wasn't included in Google's results but most of the time Google has what I need. Hatred for Google is a silly thing as I'm in the firm belief that ALL corporations are inherently evil. If Google had a better relationship with Apple it wouldn't be a issue here, blah, blah Google is spying on us, who isn't nowadays. I don't allow one billion dollar company to dictate the way I feel about another, if that was the case I wouldn't use Apple products because they contain Samsung components.