Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers

Comments

• Reply 201 of 230
    Originally Posted by OCFlier View Post

Or it could simply be that the user in the add has typed in the 500 in the highlighted cell and not pressed the Enter key yet. It's not there and not included in the sum until you press Enter. In Excel or Numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Excel as much as anyone, but just try this at home.

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer View Post

Actually, if you look closely, the $500 for the CAR was just entered, so it hasn't calculated that amount into the total, yet. As soon as ENTER is pressed or the focus is moved it will recalculate to $9,500, correctly. Way to jump the gun and come up with a non story!

Originally Posted by xlandhenry View Post

This article is just another perfect example of how mindless Apple fanboys get brainwashed. In case you guys haven't noticed, in the ad picture the cell that's being edited clearly shows where the 'error' comes from, as the formula will only update itself to reflect the change you make after you hit Enter.

Originally Posted by MawhiUK View Post

I'm a die hard Apple fan but could it be that the highlighted CELL in Excel is waiting for a return before it adds the total to the Sum? Though if it were me i would have pressed return THEN captured the screen grab lol.

Originally Posted by JPreston View Post

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but you can clearly see the green square around the cell meaning they just entered that figure and have not hit enter yet. Since they haven't hit enter Excel cannot computer that into the Total. 

It isn't wrong, they just did the screenshot "too early"

SHUT UP, YOU WORTHLESS, PATHETIC PILES OF SCHMIDT!

I was just joking before, but apparently Microsoft HAS started to pay complete morons to spew disgusting lies everywhere. How else can you explain this level of stupidity from over a dozen new “users” now? The odds that ALL them are illiterate are staggering. 

• Reply 202 of 230
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by OCFlier View Post

Or it could simply be that the user in the add has typed in the 500 in the highlighted cell and not pressed the Enter key yet. It's not there and not included in the sum until you press Enter. In Excel or Numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Excel as much as anyone, but just try this at home.

Originally Posted by TheGeekGolfer View Post

Actually, if you look closely, the $500 for the CAR was just entered, so it hasn't calculated that amount into the total, yet. As soon as ENTER is pressed or the focus is moved it will recalculate to $9,500, correctly. Way to jump the gun and come up with a non story!

Originally Posted by xlandhenry View Post

This article is just another perfect example of how mindless Apple fanboys get brainwashed. In case you guys haven't noticed, in the ad picture the cell that's being edited clearly shows where the 'error' comes from, as the formula will only update itself to reflect the change you make after you hit Enter.

Originally Posted by MawhiUK View Post

I'm a die hard Apple fan but could it be that the highlighted CELL in Excel is waiting for a return before it adds the total to the Sum? Though if it were me i would have pressed return THEN captured the screen grab lol.

Originally Posted by JPreston View Post

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but you can clearly see the green square around the cell meaning they just entered that figure and have not hit enter yet. Since they haven't hit enter Excel cannot computer that into the Total. 

It isn't wrong, they just did the screenshot "too early"

SHUT UP, YOU WORTHLESS, PATHETIC PILES OF SCHMIDT!

I was just joking before, but apparently Microsoft HAS started to pay complete morons to spew disgusting lies everywhere. How else can you explain this level of stupidity from over a dozen new “users” now? The odds that ALL them are illiterate are staggering. 

I don't know, but we are seeing epidemic levels of either total comprehension failure or trolling, or both, from new and old accounts. Not only have they apparently never actually used Excel, but they are also apparently completely missing the point of the article.  In some ways it's as amusing as the original story.

• Reply 203 of 230

Someone not very creative when padding their expense account, eh?

LMAO

• Reply 204 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The problem is that the Surface is not a very good tablet. The operating system and applications are not truly optimized for touch screen use, and the 16:9 aspect ratio makes it virtually useless in portrait mode. The Surface is basically a netbook with a touch screen tacked on.

Nah it's an awesome tablet. I bought the Pro 2 thinking I probably wouldn't use it in tablet mode that much, but I haven't really used my iPad since. Simple reason is it's browser is faster. It is heavier but turns out that doesn't really matter that much.

Also why do people go on about the 16:9 aspect ratio so much. Apart from the kindle app, every iPad app I have either doesn't work in portrait mode or does something stupid like completely hide article listings. I've yet to see a game that works in Portrait mode.

• Reply 205 of 230
    Excellent !

Actually, I'm a hard core Excel user on Mac, but this is too funny. Eat it, Frank!
  • Reply 206 of 230
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post

Wow. This is worthy of an article? This is shameful. Let MS or Google and Apple fight it out accordingly but this is cheap. Office is better than anything Apple has EVER put out, this no one can argue. They're just using it as feature which is smart. The same way Apple uses their ecosystem to sell iStuff. You guys can't be such fanboys not to appreciate something else other than Apples stuff. The surface is actually very nice, I prefer the iPad of course but I have both. He surface is better at some things but that's life, no device is perfect. I know this is AI but have some balls to appreciate another product. So what if the calculation is off? Would anyone in their right mind use numbers over excel? Never. It was maybe a typo, who knows? It is idiotic to write an article about this. Shameful.

Thank you, Mr. 1 Post, Joined in Nov 2013...Look like a troll.

• Reply 207 of 230
    Well... Let me think...

Maybe someone is holding it wrong ?? Seems like a rational assumption to me...
  • Reply 208 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GerdC View Post

Excel might fail to add numbers in an ad.

But Apples Numbers 3 fails to add numbers in reality on your computer and your iPad (both versions have the same bug).

Details and an example file are in this blog article: http://www.gerdcastan.de/en/content/numbers-3-cell-bug

I love Microsoft bashing, too (for other reasons than Excel). But in this case...

Gerd

I now can reproduce this Numbers bug in english, too. By its nature, I'm pretty sure I can reproduce it in any language.

Gerd

• Reply 209 of 230
    Before disparaging Excel, wouldn't you make sure Numbers actually works? Add up the percentage in the pie graph, where has the missing percentage sign gone? Numbers fail. At least Excel could be explained by user error, Numbers clearly doesn't work.
  • Reply 210 of 230
    It's clear most of you don't use Excel.

A cell that is currently being edited does not have its current information included in a summation. Excel has been like this for at least a decade.

It's obvious from the picture that the cell was edited from $0 to $500 and it's still in edit function, hence why the cells are summing to $9,000. Excel is working properly. Anyone with a copy of Excel can replicate this. Hold the cell for editing and it will sum to $9,000, release it and it will sum to $9,500.

The strange thing about the ad though is why the pie chart is showing post edit results. The pie chart should not be showing 7 slices as the data set it's drawing from hasn't been updated. The math is correct, but the pie chart is not.

This still is a fairly pathetic attack which suggests that the author of the article has essentially no experience with how Excel has worked for a decade or more.
  • Reply 211 of 230
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CPAinc View Post

A cell that is currently being edited does not have its current information included in a summation. Excel has been like this for at least a decade.

It's obvious from the picture that the cell was edited from $0 to $500 and it's still in edit function, hence why the cells are summing to $9,000. Excel is working properly. Anyone with a copy of Excel can replicate this. Hold the cell for editing and it will sum to $9,000, release it and it will sum to $9,500.

But the $500 is in the pie chart

• Reply 212 of 230
    the overreaction by the Apple-heads is hilarious! Excel isn't at fault here.. whoever made the ad made a printing error. I can put those same numbers in on my Excel on my Win8 laptop and get $9500. SMH at some people.
  • Reply 213 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CPAinc View Post

The strange thing about the ad though is why the pie chart is showing post edit results. The pie chart should not be showing 7 slices as the data set it's drawing from hasn't been updated. The math is correct, but the pie chart is not.

This still is a fairly pathetic attack which suggests that the author of the article has essentially no experience with how Excel has worked for a decade or more.

exactly! they just printed a baseless article to bash Microsoft.. Excel is what Numbers wishes it was.. The idiot who printed this billboard though, should be fired for incompetence.

• Reply 214 of 230
    For anyone who thinks Excel can't add a simple column of numbers, that's ignorance. This is clearly human error. The highlighted entry "Car" ($500) was entered/changed, but the user did not press Enter or arrow down/over.

The idiots who allowed this to be published should be disciplined/dismissed, but in this case it's ok to engage in ad hominem attacks and leave the technology alone. (Other failings of the Surface, being equal). :-)
  • Reply 215 of 230
    mikesky wrote: »
    Before disparaging Excel, wouldn't you make sure Numbers actually works? Add up the percentage in the pie graph, where has the missing percentage sign gone? Numbers fail. At least Excel could be explained by user error, Numbers clearly doesn't work.

cpainc wrote: »

lapavoni wrote: »
    For anyone who thinks Excel can't add a simple column of numbers, that's ignorance. This is clearly human error. The highlighted entry "Car" ($500) was entered/changed, but the user did not press Enter or arrow down/over.

The idiots who allowed this to be published should be disciplined/dismissed, but in this case it's ok to engage in ad hominem attacks and leave the technology alone. (Other failings of the Surface, being equal). :-)

All these new posters saying you need to press Enter first, showing they do not excel in Excel. People, before posting, please read the thread, start to finish.
  • Reply 216 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

All these new posters saying you need to press Enter first, showing they do not excel in Excel. People, before posting, please read the thread, start to finish.

Only once in the posts you quoted did anyone mention anything about pressing enter. CPA and mikesky never said enter. That user merely discussed it in edit mode. No one you quoted said anything about needing to press Enter first. The person who said that was you.

I question if you've ever used Excel as you don't need to press enter basically ever. You can simply select another cell, or arrow key over to exit editing a cell. You don't even need to press enter after entering a function. People press enter after because it exits editing, but it is not necessary. At no point does anyone ever need to press enter first on excel.

• Reply 217 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLL View Post

But the $500 is in the pie chart

That's probably why CPA said this:

"The strange thing about the ad though is why the pie chart is showing post edit results. The pie chart should not be showing 7 slices as the data set it's drawing from hasn't been updated. The math is correct, but the pie chart is not."

Short quoting helps no one.

• Reply 218 of 230
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Check this out:

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/

http://perceptualedge.com

Thanks - I've never used PowerPoint or even made a presentation before, so I will probably not remember their names in a few days.  I'm sure their graphs are nice.

• Reply 219 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It looks like you are not admin here any more, so I guess you can now be as obnoxious and unpolite as you wish to be.

Out of curiosity - have you tried to reproduce and confirm this "error", or you are still taking DED's articles by default as an ultimate truth?

A bit disappointing, really.

Hahaha. Try do a google search on him. He's got hate mail written about him all over the internet. Some describe him "as the worst moderator they've ever seen." Also funny how diehard Apple websites have banned him too.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1432224&page=2

• Reply 220 of 230
    I wonder if they realize maybe the cell is not using a formula and the user is entering the value directly on the cell. The pie chart looks complete.