Apple 'working hard' to meet demand as Retina iPad mini goes on sale

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
With the launch of the second-generation iPad mini with Retina display on Tuesday, supplies of Apple's new diminutive tablet are expected to be tight, though the company has pledged that it is "working hard" to catch up with strong demand.

iPad mini

The Retina iPad mini launched in Apple's online store earlier Tuesday, and a press release touting its availability was issued by the company later in the morning. Specifics on availability, such as whether it will be in the company's retail stores on the same day, were not provided.

"The response to iPad Air has been incredible, and we're excited for customers to experience the new iPad mini with Retina display," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "We think customers will love both of these thin, light, powerful new iPads, and we're working hard to get as many as we can in the hands of our customers."

"We're working hard to get as many (Retina iPad minis) as we can in the hands of our customers." - Apple marketing chief Phil SchillerThe hallmark feature of the new second-generation iPad mini is its high-resolution Retina display, packing in the same number of pixels as the full-size iPad Air just released earlier this month. But while the iPad Air sports a larger 9.7-inch screen, the iPad mini squeezes the same resolution into a smaller 7.9-inch display, giving it a higher pixel-per-inch count.

That high-resolution screen is believed to be the main cause of anticipated supply issues for the new iPad mini. Apple signaled during its quarterly earnings conference call last month that supply of the new iPad mini could be tight for the holiday season.

"It's unclear whether we will have enough for the quarter or not," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said last month. "We know how many we will have, but you really don't know the demand until you start shipping."

Cook went on to say that he expects strong sales for the entire iPad family this fall, going as far as to call it an "iPad Christmas" this year.

iPad mini

The new Retina iPad mini sports the same A7 chip found in the iPad Air and the recently released iPhone 5s, with a 64-bit desktop-class architecture. The device starts at $399 for the 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi only model, with storage doubling for $100 up to 128 gigabytes. Models with cellular radios carry a $130 premium starting at $529 for 16 gigabytes.

Apple also offers its Smart Covers for iPad mini with Retina display for $39, available in blue, green, pink, yellow, black and product (RED). The company also offers an aniline-dyed leather iPad mini Smart Case, which protects the back of the device in addition to the screen, in color options of yellow, beige, blue, brown,black, and product (RED) for $69 each.

iPad mini with Retina display is available through Apple's online store to ship, or through the company's Personal Pickup option at its retail stores -- though as of Tuesday, Personal Pickup is not yet an option. The second-generation iPad mini will also be available through authorized resellers, as well as AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Grabbed mine as soon as I heard. Space Gray, cellular 128gb.
    Selling the 1st gen mini today.
  • Reply 2 of 21

I wanted to order mine through Verizon Wireless because they give a $100 discount if you agree to a 2 year contract. But they only have the 16, 32, and 64 GB versions available.

• Reply 3 of 21
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Could AI update this article to link to Apple's press release? http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/11/12iPad-mini-with-Retina-Display-Available-Starting-Today.html

Also it doesn't mention countries so does that mean its available everywhere right away? I see on apple's US store the Mini is available to ship 1-3 days for 16 and 32 wifi models, Air is 5-7 days for all models.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thanx_al View Post

Grabbed mine as soon as I heard. Space Gray, cellular 128gb.

Selling the 1st gen mini today.

Good for you.

I did the same with all my iPhones. Once I got the first gen iPhone, sold or gave away all my iPods.

Sold my first gen. ATV. Sold my first gen. intel MacBook. Sold all my old Apple mice and keyboards to get the latest BTKB's/magicpad for my iMac. Sold Leopard, SL OSX DVD's, iLife suites, and iwork suites. 

Sold printers, ink to upgrade to best printers.

This can only be done b/c of Apple's strong resale values. I look at the difference in my purchase price to what I sell it for as a monthly rental of the items.

The things I can't sell, I either donate to Goodwill, give to friends or have recycled. :)

I try to end up (within reason) with the latest and greatest Apple SW and HW. Apple certainly has made this easier with a $499 iPadAir and a $399 Rmini, $99 ATV, a $1,000 MBA and free iOS/OSX upgrades and free iLife/iWork suites when you buy new HW. Just brilliant! :)

• Reply 5 of 21
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Have $300 gift cards from best buy. Hope they get some... Gonna be a tough find
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I wanted to order mine through Verizon Wireless because they give a $100 discount if you agree to a 2 year contract. But they only have the 16, 32, and 64 GB versions available.

You can bring an iPad to them and they'll give you a $100 credit toward your bill if you sign up a 2-year contract.  You don't have to buy the iPad from them.

• Reply 7 of 21
    Nice twisting of comments to make your FUD.

And to think that AI used to be respectable
  • Reply 8 of 21
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    andysol wrote: »
    Have $300 gift cards from best buy. Hope they get some... Gonna be a tough find

Best buy just announced they'll have them in select stores. Crossing fingers.

Target and walmart have said nothing.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Good for you.

I did the same with all my iPhones. Once I got the first gen iPhone, sold or gave away all my iPods.

Sold my first gen. ATV. Sold my first gen. intel MacBook. Sold all my old Apple mice and keyboards to get the latest BTKB's/magicpad for my iMac. Sold Leopard, SL OSX DVD's, iLife suites, and iwork suites. 

This can only be done b/c of Apple's strong resale values. I look at the difference in my purchase price to what I sell it for as a monthly rental of the items.

The things I can't sell, I either donate to Goodwill, give to friends or have recycled. :)

I try to end up (within reason) with the latest and greatest Apple SW and HW. Apple certainly has made this easier with a $499 iPadAir and a $399 Rmini, $99 ATV, a $1,000 MBA and free iOS/OSX upgrades and free iLife/iWork suites when you buy new HW. Just brilliant! :)

You will need to get that Mac Pro choice sorted soon then ... 4, 6, 8 or 12 core ...? That is the question! :D I am thinking ... 'within reason' ... in semi retirement is maybe ... 6??
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You will need to get that Mac Pro choice sorted soon then ... 4, 6, 8 or 12 core ...? That is the question! image I am thinking ... 'within reason' ... in semi retirement is maybe ... 6??

Thanks, Digi! :) But The MacPro is too much computer for me.

I think a 5s, iPad Air, and maybe an 11" MBA with a KB and Monitor, ATV, TimeCapsule and I'm good to go! :)

Best

• Reply 11 of 21
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Good for you.

Is that you, Phil? ;)
  • Reply 12 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

You know if Steve were alive they'd have plenty in stock...

/sarcasm

• Reply 13 of 21
    Lets hope there are some shortages so us ebayers can have a green holiday season :)
  • Reply 14 of 21
    My large volume third party authorized Apple dealer doesn't expect their large preorder from Apple for another 10 days. :no: :\ :rolleyes:
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Banned

????????????????????????????

• Reply 16 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [SIZE=24px]????????????????????????????[/SIZE]

I'll second that.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Thanks, Digi! :) But The MacPro is too much computer for me.

I think a 5s, iPad Air, and maybe an 11" MBA with a KB and Monitor, ATV, TimeCapsule and I'm good to go! :)

Best

My wife tells me the same thing!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nice twisting of comments to make your FUD.

And to think that AI used to be respectable

Wha?

\_O_/    

Maybe meant to respond to different article?

• Reply 19 of 21
    2 Silver iPad mini is waiting for me now.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Got my Air so I don't care but I wish all you mini buyers happy hunting!