GlobalFoundries to build A-series chips for Apple in New York - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

Looks like Apple is going to make the "A" series chip to be a true 64 bit later on in the coming years.  4GB RAM on SoC is not that far away!  I still will buy the iPad Mini Retina but I know it will be obsolete in the next few years since the A7 only has 1GB of RAM and cannot be used in true 64 bit mode.

• Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have been thinking about this a bit.

We know that the Ax APs are being made in the US -- as are the new Mac Pros.

With the proper mix of automation and skilled jobs -- wouldn't it be possible to bring much of Apple's manufacturing and assembly to the US?

It just seems odd to manufacture an Ax APU here, ship it to the Far East, for assembly, then ship [a large percentage of] the final product back to the US.

Maybe Apple should buy UPS.

My guess is Apple will be starting assembling their products back in the U.S. again in the near future.  They have already done that with the new Mac Pro!

• Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What about GPCPU as an alternative to quad/octo core CPUs?

Then, for an alternative to flash, how about bubble memory -- and magnetorestictive delay lines as an alternative to DRAM image

Edit: Seriously, I think that Apple will want to exploit the 64-bit APU advantage with more RAM (cheap and fast) and more/better SSD (cheap and fast). They bought Anobit for the SSD... I recall reading about a new DRAM that is cheap and fast.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/10/new-blockbuster-memory-chip-may-kick-a7-into-another-orbit.html

No. The GPGPU Vector processing complements the CPU pipeline which combined in a SoC will improve with more HSA initiative work on Apple's part.

• Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why would that be so? Apple has been involved in MEMS for years now, what do you think those accelerometers and other devices in their devices are made of?

I'm hoping they think of quad core "A" series processors with significantly enhanced GPUs, advanced memory systems and something beyond flash for storage.

MEMS research at GloFlo is a much farther advanced beast than what has been historically MEMS markets.

• Reply 25 of 34
    Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Looks like Apple is going to make the "A" series chip to be a true 64 bit later on in the coming years.

It’s already true 64-bit. Amount of system RAM doesn’t dictate that.

• Reply 26 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What about GPCPU as an alternative to quad/octo core CPUs?
    I really don't know what Apple is up too but speculation is always interesting. Especially interesting considering all the AMD GPU engineers they have hired of late. The problem is CPUs and GPUs do different things. I could see Apple integrating the GPUs and CPUs in a way we haven't seen yet.

In any event quad cores currently seem to be the optimal number for common user apps.

Then, for an alternative to flash, how about bubble memory -- and magnetorestictive delay lines as an alternative to DRAM :D
    I would expect something new.

Edit: Seriously, I think that Apple will want to exploit the 64-bit APU advantage with more RAM (cheap and fast) and more/better SSD (cheap and fast). They bought Anobit for the SSD... I recall reading about a new DRAM that is cheap and fast.
    I'm actually disappointed that they didn't go to 2GB this time around.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    harry wild wrote: »
    Looks like Apple is going to make the "A" series chip to be a true 64 bit later on in the coming years.  4GB RAM on SoC is not that far away!  I still will buy the iPad Mini Retina but I know it will be obsolete in the next few years since the A7 only has 1GB of RAM and cannot be used in true 64 bit mode.
    This is nonsense, the A7 is very much a true 64 bit processor.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Great location, Malta. There's a lot of chip fab moxie in Upstate New York and around Burlington, Vermont, and Malta is right in the middle of it. Right on an interstate; a county airport four miles away with good intersecting runways and a highly rated FBO. If you're going to spend zigabucks on fab in the U.S., Malta is an outstanding spot strategically.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It looks increasingly like this has little if anything at all to do with Apple striking a deal with [S]TSMC[/S] Global Foundry as another A7 chip supply source. Instead [B]it's now reported to be a "flex capacity"agreement between Samsung and Global Foundry[/B] rather than Apple just as I guessed earlier in the thread. With the Samsung Austin plant at max capacity (Apple isn't their only customer) [B]Global Foundry[/B] will build A7's as needed under a contract with Samsung and not Apple. That makes much more sense than odd claims that Sammy was going to help Apple get Global Foundry up to speed.

Apple may yet second-source or even replace Samsung altogether at some future point but this doesn't look like the start of it.

http://allthingsd.com/20131112/dont-get-too-excited-about-globalfoundries-and-apple-at-least-not-just-yet/
  • Reply 30 of 34
    kibitzer wrote: »
    Great location, Malta. There's a lot of chip fab moxie in Upstate New York and around Burlington, Vermont, and Malta is right in the middle of it. Right on an interstate; a county airport four miles away with good intersecting runways and a highly rated FBO. If you're going to spend zigabucks on fab in the U.S., Malta is an outstanding spot strategically.

Except for the snow in winters. That is probably the worst thing about upstate NY.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Hey Gator that is Global Foundries not TSMC! ????????

Honestly this has nothing to do with any possible deal with TSMC. It does have something to do with a factory running at full capacity and the cost & time of building a new one. I see this as an indication that demand for Apples products and also Samsungs products is stronger than ever. As noted above iPad demand is where iPhone was only a few years ago.

The rumors of constrained supplies of screens for the new iPad Mini may soon be replaced with rumors of constrained supplies of the A7. Well maybe not, if they are doing this now they may be seeing a growth demand resulting in a short fall in the future. So they need to get the nuts and bolts of production on Global Foundries equipment nailed down before that happens. It could be months before actual production leaves Global Foundries for Apple products.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It looks increasingly like this has little if anything at all to do with Apple striking a deal with TSMC as another A7 chip supply source. Instead it's now reported to be a "flex capacity"agreement between Samsung and TSMC rather than Apple just as I guessed earlier in the thread. With the Samsung Austin plant at max capacity (Apple isn't their only customer) TSMC will build A7's as needed under a contract with Samsung and not Apple. That makes much more sense than odd claims that Sammy was going to help Apple get TSMC up to speed.

Apple may yet second-source or even replace Samsung altogether at some future point but this doesn't look like the start of it.

http://allthingsd.com/20131112/dont-get-too-excited-about-globalfoundries-and-apple-at-least-not-just-yet/
  • Reply 32 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Hey Gator that is Global Foundries not TSMC!

Thanks! I meant Global Foundries but had TSMC on the mind after reading an article about them earlier. The rest of the post still stands, just insert GF in place of TSMC.

...and thanks again Wizard. :embarrass
  • Reply 33 of 34
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Hey Gator that is Global Foundries not TSMC! ????????

Honestly this has nothing to do with any possible deal with TSMC. It does have something to do with a factory running at full capacity and the cost & time of building a new one. I see this as an indication that demand for Apples products and also Samsungs products is stronger than ever. As noted above iPad demand is where iPhone was only a few years ago.

The rumors of constrained supplies of screens for the new iPad Mini may soon be replaced with rumors of constrained supplies of the A7. Well maybe not, if they are doing this now they may be seeing a growth demand resulting in a short fall in the future. So they need to get the nuts and bolts of production on Global Foundries equipment nailed down before that happens. It could be months before actual production leaves Global Foundries for Apple products.

There's the possibility of other devices using the A7 with different combinations of DRAM and SSD sizes. some good candidates:
    • AppleTV
    • Game Console / AppleTV combo
    • iTunes Media Server / Home Server / Backup Server (with iCloud staging)
    • Larger multitouch device
    • hybrid Intel / A7 device like a MackBook Air