Review: Apple's late-2013 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rats View Post

But that goes back to the original point, it makes sense that Apple starts it's Pro line at 128gb.

True, and it is not Apple's fault entirely. We live in a "schizophrenic" (in the literal meaning) transitional period, in which cheap and slow media providing huge amount or storage room (HDD) coexist with very expensive and fast media that are thin on storage room (SSD). It seems that it will take a while before SSD's be inexpensive and large enough to phase out hard disks as a viable alternative.

• Reply 122 of 126
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PB View Post

I would say it is plenty "only" for professionals, because they commonly use external storage. For the average user though, commonly relying on internal storage, 128 GB is a joke today.

It's an entry level model for those that don't have a lot of data to store. College students, college professors and other people don't always need that much more than that.  Pros want the biggest, fastest, etc. they can get their hands on.

Or it's for those that know how to manage their data.  I only need more than 128GB because I have a huge audio/video collection that's growing, but I'm planning on offloading to an external RAID. If I do that, 128GB would be plenty.

• Reply 123 of 126
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Use the cloud. Problem solved.  Unless you are a video professional, you probably don't need GB of videos sitting around all the time.

• Reply 124 of 126
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It's an entry level model for those that don't have a lot of data to store. College students, college professors and other people don't always need that much more than that.

No more storage is needed if the use is really limited to that (university work/documents, courses, etc.). Is it though?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Or it's for those that know how to manage their data.  I only need more than 128GB because I have a huge audio/video collection that's growing, but I'm planning on offloading to an external RAID. If I do that, 128GB would be plenty.

This is where the problem comes from. Audio/video storage and processing. High definition video, produced nowadays even by digital cameras in the reach of everyone, eats GB's for breakfast. And photo/music/video is a primary target for Apple. OK, we have the iMac for that. But if you want to go mobile, then the only reasonable solution is the ordinary (non-Retina) MacBook Pro.

• Reply 125 of 126
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PB View Post

No more storage is needed if the use is really limited to that (university work/documents, courses, etc.). Is it though?

This is where the problem comes from. Audio/video storage and processing. High definition video, produced nowadays even by digital cameras in the reach of everyone, eats GB's for breakfast. And photo/music/video is a primary target for Apple. OK, we have the iMac for that. But if you want to go mobile, then the only reasonable solution is the ordinary (non-Retina) MacBook Pro.

That's why Apple offers storage options up to 1TB of SSD.  But not everyone needs that amount of storage or can afford it.  Companies have to offer products to those that want/need different levels of storage.  But I don't think there's anything wrong with offering a 128GB model.  It's just the entry level model, but it's certainly not the only model or storage option they offer.  Some people just don't have a lot of music/videos and other large amounts of data, for those that do, they'll buy another model with more storage.  Actually, I'm contemplating buying an external Thunderbolt SSD drive with either 1 or 2TB of SSD storage which will bring down my internal storage requirements to just apps and OS and very little else which will be WAY under 128GB.  Then I can connect to any future device and not have to constantly transfer all my data from one to the next.  I'm actually thinking that might be the best way to deal with data management.  It's fast, reliable and I don't have the data transfer headaches.  It's just the initial investment that's the major consideration.

• Reply 126 of 126
    First visit to an Apple retail store was a HORRIBLE experience. Second visit resulted in the purchase of a 15" MBP Retina. Set-up in store was a failure and AppleCare phone support was even worse. Returned the computer for a refund a week later. My Apple experience was a complete failure.