Slowdown in Apple TV shipments suggests full-size television delayed to 2015

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is expected to launch a refreshed Apple TV with an A7 processor in 2014, says one analyst, but major hardware additions like an "iTV" television set won't come until the end of 2015 or early 2016 at the earliest.

Apple TV

In a report obtained by AppleInsider, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple TV shipments have slowed markedly over the past year, likely heralding a delay for a so-called "iTV" to at least late 2015.

Kuo estimates Apple TV shipments hit only 7.6 million units during 2013, a drop of five percent year-over-year. This may indicate that Apple is having issues with integrating TV content and services, which does not bode well for the possibly launch of a connected television set.

"If Apple wants to launch iTV, the challenges of integrating content and service are more difficult considering the different TV content ecosystems (e.g. cable operators) in various countries," Kuo writes. "Moreover, establishing an iTV supply chain is very costly. Thus we believe iTV launch will be delayed to end-2015 or early 2016 at the earliest."

The analyst forecasts Apple TV shipments of 8.2 million units in 2014, but sees growth stagnating unless Apple is able to integrate additional TV content and services, as well as tie-ins with the App Store.

Apple TV shipments slowdown may mean Apple is facing challenges integrating TV content & service

Apple has long been rumored to be working on a high-definition television set, though at this point all information remains speculative.

Most recently, a report from NPD DisplaySearch on Monday claimed Apple has put iTV development "on hold" as the company concentrates its efforts on wearable computers, like the "iWatch."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    If they'd just release an App Store so that local content providers like the BBC could get on the ATV they'd own the segment overnight.

No idea what's taking them so damn long to do something so simple!
  • Reply 2 of 27

I've pretty much given up on Apple offering an elegant flat-screen TV. Mainly b/c of the C**kS**k'ng, Bl**dS**k'ng media/cable companies intransigence, (More foreskin than foresight!)

I guess I'll have to keep upgrading my ATV and buy anything but a Samsung TV.

FYI: Viewing photos on ATV is the worth the price of admission. I stream all my photos to my HDTV via ATV and my GF thinks I'm a genius! (That's worth $99 right there!)

I invite our friends over for a little din-din and have some photos of them "Ken Burns'ng" on my flat screen TV with a little light jazz in the background and they're really impressed.  Especially, my Windows/PC centric friends! (Poor sods!)  :)

It's like a fireplace or a really nice aquarium...just mesmerizing! 

Used to be, you'd take a few photos, frame them and hang them on the wall. But, most of them ended up in a shoe box or an ugly album (to be viewed every five years or so)...then came the computer and email. But, who wants to "sit around" a computer to see photos? Ugh! 

My GF and I see more of our photos via ATV than we ever have. When her Dad comes over, I make sure we show photos of him and his WWII days "shuffling."

At xmas, when her daughter comes to visit, I make sure we're streaming photos of last xmas! 

It is super cool! Maybe I am a genius? :)

Best

• Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

If they'd just release an App Store so that local content providers like the BBC could get on the ATV they'd own the segment overnight.

I agree! BBC and SKY for F1....

• Reply 4 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    A delay of a rumored unannounced product? Oh no!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Do nae care about some rumoured TV panel, just update the ATV puck asap, please, Apple.

• Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

local maxima.

the difference between 'apps' and 'channels' is the need for a common taxonomy and search lexicon.   The problem with 'TV' (vs music vs apps) is that I want bits and pieces of all the content as a consumer.   Having BBC build an App makes for a silly balkanization (like having 30 different Set top boxes inside of one that is beside another, and that connects to a device that can get Over the Air content as well).

What we all really want is

Me: "Watch most recent Downton Abbey"

SiriTV:  "I have found you several options:  

[ ] BBJ is showing Season 4, for free at high resolution  Season 4, Episode [10] is available now"

[ ]"You bought Netflix which has seasons 1 and 2 and 3 "   Season 2, Episode [11] is available now"

[ ]This seasons Episode 5 is available from Hulu Plus for $2.99   Season 5 Episode [5]"

[ ] Episode 6 of this years Downton Abbey shows live tomorrow on WBBJ on your ComCast cable TV channel 235 at 8pm,  do you want a reminder [Season 5 Ep 6]?"

Anything less is not what apple wants to sell you, as it just continues the current mess.   BBC has to agree to allow Apple to mine it's content, and agree to in-app purchases, and likely agree to a few other things (quality, show editing, advertising etc).

• Reply 7 of 27
    Somebody at [I]MingChiKuoInsider[/I] is losing it. What, no boilerplate praise this time for his impeccable "track record"? ;)
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

It's not that simple because content providers see the TV screen as something completely different. It's a legacy market they're trying to protect. They're willing to put apps on devices like tablets and smartphones because it's "not TV".

The ability to stream those to the Apple TV trough Airplay is a hole that they would've like to plug, but since its too late they still add the feature in their apps to stay competitive with other apps.

Take a look at ChromeCast, unlike Airplay it works on a "white list" principle where Google seeks permission from content providers to enable streaming to a TV screen. 

The big content providers (producers and distributors) think they own the TV screen and want to charge a lot to give a company the privilege to provide content on TV. On the iOS app store the competitive field is levelled and they can't impose any condition to Apple.

• Reply 9 of 27
    sennen wrote: »
    Do nae care about some rumoured TV panel, just update the ATV puck asap, please, Apple.

And what would the desired update do for consumers?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Would be nice if they could do it  before the end of days....

even putting the app store into the Apple TV set top box is taking forever.

• Reply 11 of 27
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

indeed, the A7 won't change much unless its to drive apps or games...

• Reply 12 of 27
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Whatever Apple wants it to do. I'd just rather not buy one right now only to see it replaced in a couple of months.

• Reply 13 of 27
    I hope they release one with a FaceTime camera, and mic. If they come out with a full size I guess they could have a retina (4k) and high quality speakers, but it not having a high advantage. A back with hdmi, 2 thunderbolt, 4 USB, and A7X(I think the A7 can't handle 4k), but who knows. Maybe the Iwatch really will be just to make a improved motion sensor like a wii. It of course being Bluetooth for a remote control would be nice.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I think if apple was going to release an actual TV they would have by now.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sennen wrote: »
    Whatever Apple wants it to do. I'd just rather not buy one right now only to see it replaced in a couple of months.

That makes sense. For a moment, I thought you wanted Apple to follow a spec list.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Delay of a rumor? Difficult to integrate contents so ATV slow their upgrade? What kind of mental illness does the analyst's top secret report has and repeated by this writer?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

local maxima.

the difference between 'apps' and 'channels' is the need for a common taxonomy and search lexicon.   The problem with 'TV' (vs music vs apps) is that I want bits and pieces of all the content as a consumer.   Having BBC build an App makes for a silly balkanization (like having 30 different Set top boxes inside of one that is beside another, and that connects to a device that can get Over the Air content as well).

[ ] BBJ is showing Season 4, for free at high resolution  Season 4, Episode [10] is available now"

[ ]"You bought Netflix which has seasons 1 and 2 and 3 "   Season 2, Episode [11] is available now"

[ ]This seasons Episode 5 is available from Hulu Plus for $2.99   Season 5 Episode [5]"

[ ] Episode 6 of this years Downton Abbey shows live tomorrow on WBBJ on your ComCast cable TV channel 235 at 8pm,  do you want a reminder [Season 5 Ep 6]?"

Anything less is not what apple wants to sell you, as it just continues the current mess.   BBC has to agree to allow Apple to mine it's content, and agree to in-app purchases, and likely agree to a few other things (quality, show editing, advertising etc).

That's basically what Xbox does so I wouldn't have thought Apple should have an issue doing. Surprising BBC aren't on apple TV yet though, there on everything else and usually get accused of having an apple bias, so I can only assume its apple stopping them.

• Reply 18 of 27
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    It's not that simple because content providers see the TV screen as something completely different. It's a legacy market they're trying to protect. They're willing to put apps on devices like tablets and smartphones because it's "not TV".

The ability to stream those to the Apple TV trough Airplay is a hole that they would've like to plug, but since its too late they still add the feature in their apps to stay competitive with other apps.

The frustrating thing is, while I'm sure that's very true of big American corps for example, it really doesn't apply to the BBC, at least in the UK. They've long embraced stuff like this and worked to get their iplayer on as many platforms as possible (including those that plug directly into the TV) because of the way they're funded - if you own a TV in the UK then by definition you've paid, or should have paid your TV license and you're entitled to view their content.

I've no doubt at all that the BBC would release an Apple TV app tomorrow if Apple allowed that.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Who wrote this fluff piece?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    local maxima.

Apple could easily create templates & guidelines that have to be followed to make content uniform across all channels, this would be easy to implement.

It's not so bad in the US where the Apple TV is both far cheaper & geared towards content that you want.

NFL etc is only watched en masse by Americans, despite being price gouged by Apple for the ATV everyone else in the world gets less functionality.

I get that Apple is a corporation & wants you to buy/rent content from their store.

But if they just increased the price by $50 & dumped 16gb of ram inside along with an App Store they'd own the market & make billions more in revenue.