More iPhone buyers switching from Android this year than in 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulbearer View Post

Battery life is a lot better on my Note 3 that on the iphone 5s.

http://www.examiner.com/article/samsung-galaxy-note-3-and-iphone-5s-compete-for-best-smartphone

Makes ZERO sense trying to compare a giant phablet's battery to that of a 4" devices  battery. Obviously you need a bag to carry around a Note 3.

Is not just about specs, do you think you will enjoy better watching a movie on a non-HD TV vs a HD-TV?  Of course not!

Higher resolution allow you to enjoy more watching videos, browsing the web, writing emails, playing games, etc.

The Pixel resolution on the iPhone 5s is stated as a "Retina Display". This means that the human eye can't distinguish one pixel from another at a normal viewing distance. Now why would it matter if the display becomes a 4K display, because to the human eye you cant distinguish the current number of pixels from 4K in the same 4" viewing area.

Hence your argument about not having HD screen's is flawed. The eye can't anyway tell the difference apart !

So yes it's just a Spec, that has no added value other than killing your battery life further !

You don't need to install anything on your Windows PC to transfer files between the PC and the smartphone or even the SD drive.

My Note 3 have no lag.

I don't see an application that I need to use that I don't have available on the Android Market.

You my friend haven't seen the choice of apps on the iOS store then :). It's like saying in the land of the blind the one eyed man's king. Your happy with what choices you have on the Android Store now, just because you haven't been spoiled with the choice you'll find on the iOS App Store. Which is precisely why a user moving from Apple's platform to Android will notice that lack of Apps. I can go on forever if i start naming titles.

On drop test, there is no advantage between aluminum or plastic smartphones, but the aluminum ones trend to get scratch easier.  A case works for both to protect them.

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/03/16/what-s-wrong-with-plastic-smartphones/

It's not about the material used that is at question here.. Plastic or Metal ! It's about how premium the device feels when you hold one. I hold any Galaxy or Note device in my hand and it feels cheap, just because I been spoiled with the feel of the iPhone's.

The true, is that there's nothing better on the iphone 5s than on the LG G2 or the Note 3 for example.

Finger Print sensors (Touch ID), 64 bit goodness with Apps that load up at twice the speed, A compact design that actually hides away in your pocket (unlike the gody big devices sticking out of your pocket), and a mature eco system that none of the others out there can match up. 

You'll also realise that buying into an iPhone 5S is not just getting one device. You buy into Apple's entire eco system.

The eco system on the Android world is going more fragmented as we speak. Every device manufacturer has his own store, and a plethora of screen size's, and device capabilities making app development for the platform a nightmare for developers. 

So think again, the truth is LG G2 and the Note 3 are utter RUBBISH, to even try to compare it to an iPhone 5S (or for that matter even its older predecessor the iPhone 5).

• Reply 62 of 81
    Quote:

Battery life is a lot better on my Note 3 that on the iphone 5s.

No.

read anand techs review

Is not just about specs, do you think you will enjoy better watching a movie on a non-HD TV vs a HD-TV?  Of course not!

Higher resolution allow you to enjoy more watching videos, browsing the web, writing emails, playing games, etc.

Find me a pixel

You don't need to install anything on your Windows PC to transfer files between the PC and the smartphone or even the SD drive.

You misunderstand "full integration"

My Note 3 have no lag.

explains why there are 1000s of youtube videos explaining how to remove lag from note 3

I don't see an application that I need to use that I don't have available on the Android Market.

all apple applications,infinity blade series,resident evil series,FIFA 13 and the list goes on 4ever.

On drop test, there is no advantage between aluminum or plastic smartphones, but the aluminum ones trend to get scratch easier.  A case works for both to protect them.

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/03/16/what-s-wrong-with-plastic-smartphones/

Let me introduce you the the expression 'premium feel'

The true, is that there's nothing better on the iphone 5s than on the LG G2 or the Note 3 for example.

not lag??64-bit apps??reader view in web browser??thousands of applications??fully integrate with other devices??top class customer care???

Should I go on?

• Reply 63 of 81

Any title that asks a question, or uses the words 'more', 'many', 'lots' is extremely likely to be garbage and spin. In that respect this article did not disappoint although at least the obvious point that Android owns some 70% of the market nowadays was made. Fans of Apple corporate success should really not lose perspective: the larger game is still who grabs the growing market, not the pilfering back and forth from each competitor. I think it is fairly clear that eventually profits will follow development, and developers follow app sales wich to a degree correlates with market share. Apple's iOS is healthy; I am only suggesting that people looking for trends look in the right place.

• Reply 64 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

Should I go on?

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/20378/20131016/samsung-galaxy-note-3-vs-iphone-5s.htm

"Galaxy Note 3 vs. iPhone 5s Battery

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a 3,200mAh battery compared to the iPhone 5s, featuring a 1,570mAh battery. Battery life is most accurately determined through hands-on testing. Based on these benchmarks, the Galaxy Note 3 has a reportedly longer battery life than the iPhone 5s. Phone Arena states that the Samsung device gives consumers a full 24 hours before charging is necessary, compared to the Apple smartphone, capping out at roughly 10 hours."

Iphone 5s Laggy demostration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-KuPhC0Y0

Iphone 5s Blue screen of dead

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-5s-having-problems-ios-703-may-fix-blue-screen-death-among-other-issues-1423544

Lag issues and blue screen of Dead can be solve with a software fix.

Android Market

The only application that are not in the Android market are the ones probably apple pay to have them exclusively.

http://play.google.com

Does 64-bit A7 provide any actual performance boost?  NO

"The iphone 5s has Only a gigabyte and that means there’s no point of having a 64-bit CPU and operating system since 64-bit is only effective when you have more than 4 gigabyte of physical memory."

You probably don't even understand what 64 bit really means, do some reading.  

Anyway you can believe what you want to  believe, is your choice.

But, personally I would much recommend the Note 3. 

The Note 3 has a beautiful display and a speedy OS, backed by 3GB of RAM and it's Snapdragon800. 

Don't forget about the expandable SD slot, longer battery life.

My hands aren't that big, but I have no problem using this phone with one hand.

Have fun!

• Reply 65 of 81
    Quote:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/20378/20131016/samsung-galaxy-note-3-vs-iphone-5s.htm

"Galaxy Note 3 vs. iPhone 5s Battery

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a 3,200mAh battery compared to the iPhone 5s, featuring a 1,570mAh battery. Battery life is most accurately determined through hands-on testing. Based on these benchmarks, the Galaxy Note 3 has a reportedly longer battery life than the iPhone 5s. Phone Arena states that the Samsung device gives consumers a full 24 hours before charging is necessary, compared to the Apple smartphone, capping out at roughly 10 hours."

I call BS on that.

24 hours my foot.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/10/19/galaxy-note-3-battery-life-results-disappoint/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-KuPhC0Y0

I couldn't see past 2:30.

he wasn't showing lag.

he was whining that iPhone doesn't scroll a whole lot more than you want it to when you swipe like android.

Iphone 5s Blue screen of dead

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-iphone-5s-having-problems-ios-703-may-fix-blue-screen-death-among-other-issues-1423544

happens only to select few.

affected phones are replaced.

Android Market

The only application that are not in the Android market are the ones probably apple pay to have them exclusively.

http://play.google.com

apple doesn't pay for iOS exclusive apps.

"The iphone 5s has Only a gigabyte and that means there’s no point of having a 64-bit CPU and operating system since 64-bit is only effective when you have more than 4 gigabyte of physical memory."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4

The Note 3 has a beautiful display and a speedy OS, backed by 3GB of RAM and it's Snapdragon800. 

Don't forget about the expandable SD slot, longer battery life.

lolwut???

I consider hands with 6 inch thumbs really big.

Have fun!

Stop fanboying and go back to android world where lack of common sense is appreciated.

• Reply 66 of 81

Find me a pixel

I like this.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a 3,200mAh battery compared to the iPhone 5s, featuring a 1,570mAh battery.

NO. A DEVICE TWICE AS LARGE AS THE IPHONE HAS A BATTERY WITH GREATER CAPACITY? HOLY COW. NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED.

A YouTube video? Are you serious? How is this in any way “proof” of anything?

Exactly. So why mention them? Fundamental OS Schmidttyness cannot be solved with a software update. Enjoy Android.

Do you have proof that Apple pays Epic Games, for example, for exclusivity?

Wow. 

WOW.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Irony.

Normally I’d agree, but what you believe is so mind-numbingly incorrect that you’re damaging everyone by believing it.

No one cares.

The Note 3 has a beautiful display and a speedy OS

Wait, the Note 3 is made by Apple?

backed by 3GB of RAM…

Which it needs to even run, whereas iOS outspeeds it on one.

Snapdragon800. 

lol.

…SD slot…

Welcome back, 2003; how’ve you been?

• Reply 67 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Note3 lags in stock form. PERIOD.  To deny that is a total lie.

First of all Android is a virtual OS so it will never be as smooth as iOS.  Proof is even the Nexus5 which has pure Android is lagging when using YouTube/Netflix ...

I've read a lot of claims you made about how Android performs for you. Which Android devices have you been using besides the Note 3? Are they entry level phones or higher end models. I don't know if it would make a difference to your experience and I agree Android may not be as "smooth" as iOS but how laggy is it really compared to your iPhone? Just not as good as iOS but still perfectly usable or is it just totally unfit?
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Sad how few people these days engage in enough critical thinking to properly interpret data like these. Think this through, and you'll realize that it doesn't mean what you think it means.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    I think many have pointed out that the survey size is too small.

But even if it is representative of what is happening in the world this result is very bad news for apple.

Data suggests that 80% of smart phones sold in the world are android. Apple has 12%. Now if 20% of apple owners come from android then for each 100 smart phones sold in the world 2.4 switched from android to apple. If the Samsung data represents whole of android (not a bad assumption given the data thrown around) then 7% of android users come from apple. That is 5.6 switched from apple to android per 100 phones sold. Hence apple is losing market share according to this statistics (which is actually true)
  • Reply 70 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mathguy View Post

I think many have pointed out that the survey size is too small.

But even if it is representative of what is happening in the world this result is very bad news for apple.

Data suggests that 80% of smart phones sold in the world are android. Apple has 12%. Now if 20% of apple owners come from android then for each 100 smart phones sold in the world 2.4 switched from android to apple. If the Samsung data represents whole of android (not a bad assumption given the data thrown around) then 7% of android users come from apple. That is 5.6 switched from apple to android per 100 phones sold. Hence apple is losing market share according to this statistics (which is actually true)

the thing is....

your name is math guy.

and you failed a simple fermis problem by pulling stuff out of the blue.

• Reply 71 of 81

Interesting sample. You hear a lot about Apple supposedly going downhill and Android taking over for the next generation of smartphones, but this proves otherwise. Apple is doing very well, despite Steve Jobs' death.

• Reply 72 of 81

Well, I switch from Symbian... What a shame.

• Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:

Nice going.  You said there are thousands of youtube video that show Note3 lags but you didnt give any links.

But when someone shows you a link which shows new 5S lags compared to last year Nexus4, you dismissed it giving lame excuses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like this.

NO. A DEVICE TWICE AS LARGE AS THE IPHONE HAS A BATTERY WITH GREATER CAPACITY? HOLY COW. NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED.

A YouTube video? Are you serious? How is this in any way “proof” of anything?

Exactly. So why mention them? Fundamental OS Schmidttyness cannot be solved with a software update. Enjoy Android.

Do you have proof that Apple pays Epic Games, for example, for exclusivity?

Wow. 

WOW.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Irony.

Normally I’d agree, but what you believe is so mind-numbingly incorrect that you’re damaging everyone by believing it.

No one cares.

Wait, the Note 3 is made by Apple?

Which it needs to even run, whereas iOS outspeeds it on one.

lol.

Welcome back, 2003; how’ve you been?

Quote:

Wow.  This is the level of intellect that you can come out with to counter?

Nothing concrete to mow down the poster's point but just lame one-liner.

Many iphone fans here are just shooting blanks.

• Reply 74 of 81
    Originally Posted by zerobim08 View Post

Wow.  This is the level of intellect that you can come out with to counter?

Everything you say is wrong. Don’t expect anyone to waste their time disproving your troll posts.

• Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:

Nice going.  You said there are thousands of youtube video that show Note3 lags but you didnt give any links.

But when someone shows you a link which shows new 5S lags compared to last year Nexus4, you dismissed it giving lame excuses.

The video he showed didn't show lag.

It was you tubes biggest android bithching about how you don't have a few features on iPhone and calling it "lag"

• Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:

The video he showed didn't show lag.

It was you tubes biggest android bithching about how you don't have a few features on iPhone and calling it "lag"

That's one big problem of iOS isnt it?  System-wide scrolling lag.  Whether you want to admit or not scrolling on iOS is pretty lethargic and slow compared to Android.

And all you show is ONE app which lags in Note3 and you label the the whole phone lags.    I can make a video of how Safari lags in loading up few tabs or some ill-programmed app lags and then label 5S as a lag fest.  But I won't do that because that is naive.  As you can see from your video, it is not Note3 that lags.  It is the app that has issue.  I believe the app was My Magazine which is a derivation of Flipboard.  Flipboard app doesnt have that kind of lag. 

iOS has SYSTEM-WIDE scrolling lag and you call that "slow scrolling" a feature.  :p

• Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:

That's one big problem of iOS isnt it?  System-wide scrolling lag.  Whether you want to admit or not scrolling on iOS is pretty lethargic and slow compared to Android.

And all you show is ONE app which lags in Note3 and you label the the whole phone lags.    I can make a video of how Safari lags in loading up few tabs or some ill-programmed app lags and then label 5S as a lag fest.  But I won't do that because that is naive.  As you can see from your video, it is not Note3 that lags.  It is the app that has issue.  I believe the app was My Magazine which is a derivation of Flipboard.  Flipboard app doesnt have that kind of lag. 

iOS has SYSTEM-WIDE scrolling lag and you call that "slow scrolling" a feature.  :p

Lag is when your phone is taking a long time to do what it should.

not when it does what it should at normal speed.

How much fun is it arguing if you make up the language, the rules and the facts??

• Reply 78 of 81
    Quote:

Lag is when your phone is taking a long time to do what it should.

not when it does what it should at normal speed.

How much fun is it arguing if you make up the language, the rules and the facts??

I am not defining anything.   You can't make a conclusion based one bad apple.

To be fair, you have to test a sufficient number of same apps in both 5s and Note3 and do a compare.

If you dont want to do that, then just take the homescreen.  In the video you posted there is no lag in scrolling thru Note3 homescreens (even with widgets).  It is as smooth as 5s.  In terms of speed, you can scroll thru homescreens faster on Note3 compared to 5s since 5s has the iOS system-wide lethargic scrolling. 

• Reply 79 of 81
    zerobim08 wrote: »
    Note3 compared to 5s since 5s has the iOS system-wide lethargic scrolling.

Wrong choice of word

• Reply 80 of 81
    rda1991rda1991 Posts: 1member
    sog35 wrote: »
    both the 5S and Note3 have battery life to last the whole day.  Of course the Note3 does since it has a massive and heavy battery.

All your arguments of having a bigger screen are fine and dandy.  But the iPadMini Retina would make your Note3 look like a chump.  Much larger screen and higher resolution.  It's all about preference.  For me I want my phone to be a phone.  Not a tv in my pocket.  Note3 is a compromise product.  Too big to be a phone and way too small to be a real tablet.  Its a great product if all you can afford is one device.  Personally I bought a 5S/iPadAir.  The Air is one pound and is a hell lot better of a tablet than the Note3.  And my 5S does not break my pants pocket.

Don't lie about the Note3.  It LAGS.  PERIOD.  The only way to stop it from lagging is turning off all the features and rooting the device.  But then you risk getting your deviced bricked by Samsung.

Drop test are BS.  So are you telling me you rather get in a crash in a plastic car than a metal car?  lol.

And by the way the OS you are using on your BRAND NEW Note3 is now officially out of date.  I doubt you got updated to KitKat.  By next year you will be TWO FULL generations behind on OS.  That is pathetic.  In contrast the 3 year old iPhone4 gets updated to iOS7.  And good luck when you decided to sell your phone.  You'll be lucky to get $20

It's not too small or too big to be either. It sits in a category of its own and I got my Note 2 fully aware of what it was. The question is not whether I can afford a tablet or not, it's whether I want to. And I don't because my Note 2 is good enough.

Before you go out spewing junk please verify your claims. My Note 2 (not even a Note 3) just got upgraded to Kitkat. Yes, it did take a lot longer than I would have liked but it's here. Samsung is notoriously bad for releasing updates for their phones and I'm fully aware of that. But you can get a moto x, for example, or an LG phone (not sure which manufacturers are the best at updating their phones right now, but HTC have also started to work on this area). My HTC sensation was a great phone and it still is, considering how old it is. I don't use it anymore of course.

You don't have an experience with the phone so don't talk about its lag. My note 2 is amazing right now and I'm not even using a custom rom. I did put nova launcher over it so I'm not sure what touchwiz is like on kitkat, but see, I don't have to care because I can get any launcher on my phone as easily as any other app, it doesn't even have to be rooted. The fact that not everyone is aware of this is not my problem at all.