Only one third of Samsung's smartphone sales are in the class of Apple's iPhone

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 119
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

I doubt that but regardless, which of those four companies will still be selling phones in 5 years? If had to pick two, it would be Moto backed by Google, and LG backed by its conglomerate industry parent.

I wonder if Samsung makes more from Android than Google (across all OEMs)?

I would pick the same two you chose.  Motorola isn't going anywhere post-acquisition, and LG is just enormous.  I'm not sure how much of a barrier there is between LG's divisions, but it's entirely possible for them to sustain losses in their phone division until eternity as long as they continue being profitable in other divisions.

• Reply 102 of 119
    sbono13 wrote: »
    It is grossly (intentionally?) unfair to contrast Samsung's sequential QoQ growth figure with Apple's YoY growth figure. Obviously, Apple's QoQ growth was also low (33.8m vs. 31.2m). What we do know about Samsung's annual growth rate is that Samsung recorded 24% YoY revenue growth and 19% YoY operating profit growth in their "Mobile" division, much higher than their QoQ growth figures.

The wording that you quote was a little confusing to me too. I'll let the author defend/correct that.

I think that was emphasizing that Samsung's new high end devices stayed the sales/shipped level 2 quarters in a row, which isn't a bad thing.

The interesting part is that Apple iPhone sales grew 26% YoY, in the quarter right before a refresh? I'll have to check the dates.

The biggest problem writing stories like these is that Apple is more transparent, with stricter accounting disclosures via US laws, than most of the other Android OEMs with the exception of Moto, maybe Sony with Japanese disclosure laws?

Anyway, glad you noticed this discrepancy.
  • Reply 103 of 119
    "Do you really think two years old smartphone iPhone (4/4S) is still high-end ? Samsung high-ends smartphones price-tag (Galaxy S4 / Note 3) are comparable with Apple iPhone's price-tag 600$ ."

If you look at the graphics showing "Galaxy S & Note series 100,000,000 in 2013"

That includes all the S series phones still in production and being sold around the world. Listed on Samsung's website are not only the S4 and the S3 (and the Mini variations of the two) but also the Galaxy S and it's different variations (apparently these are still in production) as well as the SII HD, S II LTE, S Infuse 4G, S Vibrant and Captivate.

Check the Samsung website of your respective region to find all the "S" phones listed as still being in production and/or available for purchase. Here's the UK website:

http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones

The Note would include everything from the recently released Note 3 but also Note 2 and the first iteration of Galaxy Note from 2011 (still being sold today). I'm pretty sure it also includes the Note 8 and Mega (which are really a tablets).

Chronologically, the iPhone 4 was released around the same time as the first Galaxy S: mid-2010. The iPhone 4S sits between the release of the SII and the S3 (May 2011 and May 2012). While the 512MB iPhone 4 is still usable today with the latest iOS (7), the S stops at Android 2.3 and never made it to 4.0.
  • Reply 104 of 119
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Why don’t you do the math and come back and report rather than just trolling. It’s public data.

OK, so it seems like it's only Samsung Electronics and your original article is wrong. Are you going to correct it, Corrections?

I love how you call me a troll for pointing out factual errors in your posts. Have you considered a career in politics?  

• Reply 105 of 119

first of all they definitely "out ship" but maybe "out sell". Samsung & Co never report "sell number", they only report "shipped" number. Still most likely in total, Android out sell iPhone. So what? Android market is full of very crappy phones. They are dirt chip (actually in many cases free) for the reason. Most of them are not pinnacles of engineering (not even pinnacles of quality execution).  

I do realize that this is just "anecdotal evidence" - but I have witness quite often Android users opening battery door and removing the battery (I assume to force cold restart). Somehow it does not strike me as a sign of quality handset. 

• Reply 106 of 119

This message is for Mr. Daniel Eran Dilger: You are the MAN!

Thank you and AI team for all your hard work and super informative articles.

• Reply 107 of 119
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Samsung is the leading vendor of smart phones.  Good for them.  Their problem is that they have stopped growing meaningfully their sales of the profitable high end phones.

Someone is taking away their growth right now, and that is Apple.

Apple is growing amazingly its sales of all iOS devices.

Whom is Apple negatively impacting by doing this?  The established market leader, Samsung.

Sometimes, when you're on top in terms of sales, the only place you have to go, is down. 

• Reply 108 of 119
    jungmark wrote: »
    If they were, they would be making profit, right? Unless those companies are so incompetent they can't make money on high-end phones.

When you look at Samsung remember their marketing budget. 10-12 billion, much more than the next four combined.

Be honest, Samsung is buying sales, not just through ads but from spiffs and rebates.

If Walmart sells an iPad for $479, they (Walmart) are selling them at cost. Hoping to sell something else in the store.

When Samsung drops the S4 to $99 from $199 at Walmart, mostly Samsung is eating the cost. 10-12 billion marketing.

That's how Samsung is dominating android. That's why HTC may go out of business in a few years.

If you love android, you shouldn't be happy that Samsung is killing off the other major android makers!!!!
  • Reply 109 of 119
    Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

Be honest, Samsung is buying sales, not just through ads but from spiffs and rebates.

Samsung is also buying “sales”. As well as reviews, “reviews”, and ratings.

• Reply 110 of 119

Samsung is also buying “sales”. As well as reviews, “reviews”, and ratings.

I buy that.
  • Reply 111 of 119
    What's the point of this article? Who cares.

Samsung isn't really Apple's direct competitor. People aren't going into a shop and saying do I want a Samsung or an Apple phone.

It's more about iOS vs Android.

It's a shame that Samsung's ethics aren't as high as their technical abilities but that's just the way it is. I wish Apple focused sites wouldn't discuss Samsung so much unless it's directly related to Apple.

The article about Samsung's troubles with their Exynos chip design was interesting but these articles that basically state, "Samsung sucks vs Apple" are tiring.
  • Reply 112 of 119
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rats View Post

Samsung isn't really Apple's direct competitor. People aren't going into a shop and saying do I want a Samsung or an Apple phone.

It's a shame that Samsung's ethics aren't as high as their technical abilities but that's just the way it is. I wish Apple focused sites wouldn't discuss Samsung so much unless it's directly related to Apple.

The article about Samsung's troubles with their Exynos chip design was interesting but these articles that basically state, "Samsung sucks vs Apple" are tiring.

Yes they are.

Anything that Samsung does is met with a false positivity in comments on almost any website on earth, where there are no problems with anything they do apart from comments from people often branded as "Apple fanboys", "iSheep" or whatever term is fashionable that week.

• Reply 113 of 119

samsung is really shit, i used one, it doesnot work many times

• Reply 114 of 119

Nicht immer, aber immer öfter
  • Reply 115 of 119
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

You used a samsung?

a samsung what?
  • Reply 116 of 119
    cyberjcyberj Posts: 19member
    lukefrench wrote: »
    If the definition of a smartphone is to be able to run apps well, yes the 4s is still high end smartphone. Heck, even the lowly old 3GS I kept (i  use a lot more the ipad mini now, keep the phone for calls and maps mostly) run better than some of the lowend samsungs I see around.
    The galaxy S line is not so bad ( but i really dislike the screen both for colors and lack of responsiveness, and the flimsy plastic shell) but the low end of the bucket is really junk, to the point that a nokia  dumbphone is actually better value.
    Do you actually believe the BS you type? The S2 is junk? Ha, its plastic and I loved it for as long as I used it. I got a Note 3, my gf still doesn't wanna upgrade from the S2, even after more than 2 years. Listen to this guy.
  • Reply 117 of 119

wow!! the droid dorks are really off their rocker today. 

poor fools...

• Reply 118 of 119
    cyberjcyberj Posts: 19member
    What? You wanna call two pieces of glass that are 2 years old high end too? Are you fuckers high?