Something is a miss in laptop land

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Hi

Lately my Macbookpro has been..acting up..lagging. The dreaded biacthball shows up more often and my USB thumbdrives take a long time to mount..while waiting for it..nutt;n works. They do work fine( quick to mount) on my Imac.

It is older( 2009) battery says replace soon but it acts up regardless if I have it plugin in or not

Plenty of harddrive space and I am not overtaxing it with applications etc

Virus/malware?

I run clamXav and I stay away from the really bad Pron sites:)..any ideas

thanks

scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    climber wrote: »
    I stay away from the really bad Pron sites :)

That's the problem right there, your MBP needs to see those regularly to stay healthy. ;)

You should check if your drive is going bad. HDDs have a typical lifespan of 5 years. Listen to the drive when it's hanging up to see if it's making abrupt clicking sounds. If it is, you should backup/clone the drive and replace it.

I take it you have a MBP with the 9600M/9400M GPUs? Some of those had failures like the 8600M before it (logic board failure due to defective GPUs) but typically you'd get graphics distortion on the display with that issue.
  • Reply 2 of 8

RightyO..back to the Pron sites

I think I have found out a few things. No noise or clicks during issues but I think it is associated with the thumb drives. I have a Lexar that was formatted NTFS...it was always quick to load etc but then for whatever reason started to hang the system when inserted. It would eventually mount but  would take a long time. I formatted it to Fat32..same thing.

I then formatted it as Mac OS journaled..no issues?

I use NTFS or Fat32 because I use the thumb drives to view movies on my LG blur ray player and the payer for whatever reason doesn't recognize Mac OS journaled

. Ignoring my TV movie desires..anyone have a reason why  the PC formatted drive would cause these hangs?

Running OS 10,6.8( I have reasons to stay here..app reason)

thanks

• Reply 3 of 8
    Ignoring my TV movie desires..anyone have a reason why  the PC formatted drive would cause these hangs?
    Running OS 10,6.8( I have reasons to stay here..app reason)

Is the iMac running a newer OS? I remember there being issues with PC formatted drives on older versions of OS X. You can perhaps try using NTFS-3G to override the OS handling it:

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com
  • Reply 4 of 8

They are both running the same OS..10.6.8. I thought that maybe my USB ports were starting to fail but as I mentioned if I format as Mac journaled

all was OK. I have been using NTFS for awhile and all of a sudden things started going flaky..nothing changed though OS wise?..I did update NTFS for mac BUT...it does it also for fat32 which isn't attached to that add-on...hmmmmmm. I have tried a few other thumbdrives and Camera flash drive and it is slow too?

When the OS hangs during mounting..is there an app that I can run/watch to see what is going on process wise?

I appreciate your help Mavin

• Reply 5 of 8
    They are both running the same OS..10.6.8. I thought that maybe my USB ports were starting to fail but as I mentioned if I format as Mac journaled

When the OS hangs during mounting..is there an app that I can run/watch to see what is going on process wise?

One thing you can try is connecting the iMac and MBP over firewire, putting the iMac in target mode by holding t at boot and boot the MBP from it. Then see if you get the same issues plugging the devices into the MBP. If nothing goes wrong, you'll know it's an issue with the software on the MBP. You can try flushing the caches on the MBP by holding shift at boot time, see if the drives work ok in safe mode, then reboot.

There is an instruments app that comes with XCode to monitor filesystem activity but when it comes to hardware level interaction, it might not register anything.
  • Reply 6 of 8

Both NTFS and FAT aren't native to OS X so they won't be operationally as proficient on the platform.  Did you update to 10.9 by chance?  I have found a ton of USB related bugs that might stem the issues your experiencing.

• Reply 7 of 8
    :???:

HI

I am Sapna David I asked question about website. U suggest me What I do website Promotion dear....

refractory materials
  • Reply 8 of 8

sorry for the late reply....what I did was a complete re-instal from my time machine backup and all the slowness went away...sooooooo something was messed up on the machine( however that happened) and all is better now

thanks for the help

climber