Apple Online Store: 3-4 week wait on 5 gig iPod. Something Wrong?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The web page lists a 3-4 week for the 5 gig but only a 1-2 day wait for the 10 and 20 gig. Is the page wrong or is there really that much demand for the iPod. I need to buy a new one since my old 5 gig broke.

l also noticed that Apple is advertising the iPod as a corporate gift. Maybe this is why the wait is so long.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    No online Apple reseller has it in stock that you could buy from?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Other resellers do, I just think it is strange for Apple to have such a long delay. Maybe a new iPod will come out at at the music trade show next week.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Long delays traditionally signal that they are out of the product and are making may for a new product... seems odd to me... maybe a 100 dollar price drop on all models

that would enfuriate me, as I bought the 5GB model when it FIRST CAME OUT.. I mean, the features have not changed, but the prices and options shure have
  • Reply 4 of 8
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Ingram Micro (major nationwide distributor) has been out of stock on 5 Gb iPods since before Christmas.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    When I shopped around for my 12"PB last week I noticed that a couple of the Toronto area resellers were also out of 5GB iPods in both windows and Mac flavours. All of them only had the 10 in stock.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Having both the 5 and 20 GB models out of stock would make sense. The new Toshiba HDs will have a single 20GB platter, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 5GB HD dropped entirely from the line.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I would guess the 5 giger will either be dropped entirely or receive a substantial price cut.

MacOSrumors has something about a $100 cut...but we all know about rumour sites.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Update: Apple has stopped all orders of 5gig iPods because of the "high holiday demand." hmm we are currently half way through January. I think they would have known before this if they ran out during December. It is almost guarenteed that a new iPod will be released very soon.

In addition lots of mac online retailers have very low stocks of all iPod models.