Apple releases iOS 7.0.4 to address FaceTime bug, other issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple on Thursday pushed out a minor update to its iOS 7 mobile operating system, addressing an issue that would cause FaceTime calls to fail for some users, along with squashing other bugs.

iOS 7.0.4

iOS 7.0.4 is now available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and is identified as "build 11B554a." It can be downloaded via the Software Update section of the native Settings application in iOS.

Apple's official release notes state that the update includes "bug fixes and improvements, including a fix for an issue that causes FaceTime calls to fail for some users."

The update applies to the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5s; the iPad 2, third- and fourth-generation iPads, iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad mini with Retina display; as well as the fourth- and fifth-generation iPod touch models.

Also on Thursday, Apple released a software update for its Apple TV set-top box. Apple TV software version 6.0.2 is now available for download.

Finally, for users of the fourth-generation iPod touch, which cannot run iOS 7, Apple has also released iOS 6.1.5 to address FaceTime issues on that device.

The last maintenance update for Apple's mobile platform, iOS 7.0.3 arrived last month. It added support for iCloud Keychain password and form entry data syncing, as well as fixes for issues with Touch ID fingerprint scanning on the iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39

I guess its update day at Apple. It appears we are officially in the Whack-A-Mole release stage. This occurs when the engrs are back in 16-18 hr day mode again, due to either:

• 1 mission critical bugs are found (which you could assume would be very difficult to catch without the product "in the wild") and

• 2 features that were in the design but were cut to make the deadline (which a very vocal group -- typically a minority of loud users, analysts, and trolls that manage to eek out a new __gate with each major update).

• Reply 2 of 39

There are a lot of bugs which arent fixed, gg Apple

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1644922

• Reply 3 of 39

I don't see the video player's slider being fixed in this release, it sometimes jumps around when moving it.

• Reply 4 of 39
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Safari needs to be fixed fast- I've never had so many crashes on an Apple device.
    Ever.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Safari needs to be fixed fast- I've never had so many crashes on an Apple device.
    Ever.

I haven't had Safari in iOS 7 crash even once.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    That's great. Howbout fixing the jittery 5 finger close animation? How hard could that be, when the home button has the exact sane animation, which is perfect? Doesnt the 5 finger gesture jusy send a home button command? It irritates me every time I close an app, so jarring and glitchy. That should never have made it past the betas, but here we are at 7.04, and even on the most powerful ipad, the damn close animation is wonky as hell. Incredible
  • Reply 7 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Overall animations appear to have been improved.

No, not snappier. Just smoother, and more fluid. ;)

I have also experienced quite a few crashes in Safari, although it's hardly been a bad experience, just noticeable. It will be interesting to see if this update addresses this.

Considering how much has been totally rewritten and/or changed for all of Apple's operating systems this year, I'm extremely impressed.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

The OS X version of SAFARI may be what is being referred to, and it has been a bit unstable for me recently and I haven't moved yet to Mavericks. (ha, like just now).

• Reply 9 of 39
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    The OS X version of SAFARI may be what is being referred to, and it has been a bit unstable for me recently and I haven't moved yet to Mavericks. (ha, like just now).

That's what I was wondering. This is clearly a thread about iOS 7 but people make comments like that all the time. I think all my Safari in Mac crashes have all been on appleinsisder.com
  • Reply 10 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

That's what I was wondering. This is clearly a thread about iOS 7 but people make comments like that all the time. I think all my Safari in Mac crashes have all been on appleinsisder.com

You know I think that's where mine have come on as well.

• Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Same. I wonder if AI's coding is really that bad, or if it's due to the intrusive advertising platform they use.

• Reply 12 of 39
    they haven't fixed the boot problem going to sleep straight away on the iPad AIr there must be a whole lot if us out there :(
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Still no fix for long addresses in Contacts - you still can't enter more than 2 street lines on iOS despite it working perfectly in Contacts on icloud.com....
  • Reply 14 of 39
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Yes safari on mavericks freezes everything but you can still move the mouse and nothing else. I uninstalled ALL extensions. Had no freezes today. seems to have fixed it. As for safari on ios7 absolutely spot on, no problems.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Impact: App and In-App purchases may be completed with insufficient authorization

Description: A signed-in user may be able to complete a transaction without providing a password when prompted. This issue was addressed by additional enforcement of purchase authorization.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6058

Oops

• Reply 16 of 39
    I have had about 40 crashes, and 20 other bugs on IOS 7
  • Reply 17 of 39

Ok. Many fixes. Where the hell is the fix for the IPhone Media Player app that puts the damned cover flow crap on when you try to play a music video full screen when you flip the phone into landscape view?

I will not be happy with iOS anything until they fix that little bit of stupid.

• Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Ever.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Safari does crash on my iPad in iOS7. In fact, many Apple apps have crashed on my in iOS7 on both my iPhone 5S and iPad 3. I think Apple app crashes on iOS6 were rare to nonexistent for me. Non-Apple apps crash in iOS7, but paradoxically these seem rarer now than with iOS6. 

I am supposed to receive my Apple Air today, so we'll see if the crashes continue. 

• Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And I haven't seen either the OS X or iOS version of Safari crash in quite some time.  

Then again, it's probably best not to read into any one person's account of these things - without knowing what websites, the device details, other apps installed, hacks, etc, etc, are in play, who really know's what we are talking about?

• Reply 20 of 39
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's great. Howbout fixing the jittery 5 finger close animation? How hard could that be, when the home button has the exact sane animation, which is perfect? Doesnt the 5 finger gesture jusy send a home button command? It irritates me every time I close an app, so jarring and glitchy. That should never have made it past the betas, but here we are at 7.04, and even on the most powerful ipad, the damn close animation is wonky as hell. Incredible

The difference is that the five-finger gesture induced close animation tracks the speed with which you move your fingers. So, apart from you not moving your fingers as smoothly as the automatic gradient, the iPad has to track your fingers in real-time and convert that to an animation. Already if the tracking of your finger movement is not working at a high enough sampling frequency to produce a (visually) jitter-free control signal, things won't look as smooth. Sure, there are smoothing routines between the measured finger movement and the control given to the animation but I they won't produce a perfectly smooth movement. Though, I think, the main reason is that extra computational effort that is taxing the available resources a little bit too much (which should result in things being less jittery on the new iPad Air compared to somewhat underpowered iPad 3).