Apple shares may sink below Microsoft in S&P 500 influence after 2013 losses

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48
    Can't everything be considered "click bait?" It is an article containing speculation by the author. You can agree, disagree or use the info presented to influence your next stock purchase. There are plenty of similar articles in every publication.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    But MS had the advantage of firing Baller. No such person at Apple.

    You win the Kewpie doll.  MS's good market performance really kicked in the day after Bizarro-Steve announced his plan to exit Redmond....



    ...as in "the next guy can't possibly be as bad when given this huge pool of tech resources and market share to work with."

  • Reply 23 of 48

    Redmond is "surging"?  Based on what, exactly?

     


    • A smartphone platform that is a failure in major markets and that has barely gained any traction worldwide?

     


    • A tablet/PC/whatever platform that nobody really cares about, and which garnered MS a hefty writedown?

     


    • A Windows/Office business model that is being steadily eroded by tablets that have nothing to do with Microsoft?

     


    • A chronically-underdeveloped mobile app ecosystem?

     


    • A money-losing and share-losing partner company that MS thinks is a great buy (that for some reason is developing a product that actually competes the MS' own offering - LOL figure that one out)?

     


    • A chronically unprofitable gaming console?

  • Reply 24 of 48

    HEY LOOK!!! I CAN PLAY WITH THE GRAPH TOO!!!

     

    image

    LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

     

    :D

  • Reply 25 of 48

    And now they're back to marketing Office (Excel.)

     

    O.o 

  • Reply 26 of 48
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    And now they're back to marketing Office (Excel.)

    O.o 

    Which sucks on the Mac.
    I have not run into anything Excel can do that Numbers can't. After all these accounting, statistics and financial analysis classes.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,332member

    Okay, somebody please explain why this is bad for Apple because I don’t see it. 

  • Reply 28 of 48
    So...the S&P 500 is constantly manipulated to keep investors thinking the economy is stronger than it is?
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mike022465 View Post

     

    HEY LOOK!!! I CAN PLAY WITH THE GRAPH TOO!!!

     

    image

    LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

     

    :D


    AAPL = 16072.95%

    MSFT = 37619.25%

     

  • Reply 30 of 48

    Time to toss Cook's ass onto the street and replace him with Ballmer.

  • Reply 31 of 48
    Interesting article. It does suggest that S&P fudges their index to make S&P look good to investors.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleCPA View Post



    I have not run into anything Excel can do that Numbers can't. After all these accounting, statistics and financial analysis classes.

    Funny, I run into incompatibilities all the time. Numbers apparently only has about half as many functions as Excel. I've been told most of the missing functions are statistical and finance related so I'm puzzled why you have not encountered them. Don't ask me which functions though because as soon as I encounter the warnings I have to send the files off to the Windows boys or fire up my own Windows box. I'm not an Excel formula guy except for simple stuff like SUM or PMT. All I know is, if when opening the file in Numbers, it generates a warning, there is no reason to continue because it will be a wasted effort.

  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

     

    Redmond is "surging"?  Based on what, exactly?

     


    • A smartphone platform that is a failure in major markets and that has barely gained any traction worldwide?

     


    • A tablet/PC/whatever platform that nobody really cares about, and which garnered MS a hefty writedown?

     


    • A Windows/Office business model that is being steadily eroded by tablets that have nothing to do with Microsoft?

     


    • A chronically-underdeveloped mobile app ecosystem?

     


    • A money-losing and share-losing partner company that MS thinks is a great buy (that for some reason is developing a product that actually competes the MS' own offering - LOL figure that one out)?

     


    • A chronically unprofitable gaming console?


     The long anticipated departure of Steve Ballmer.

  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post



    Interesting article. It does suggest that S&P fudges their index to make S&P look good to investors.

     

    I would love to know how you came to that conclusion.

     

    There is nothing fishy about the way the S&P 500 index weights are calculated: it's a weighted average of market capitalization.  They add up the market cap of the 500 companies included and then divide each company's market cap by the total.  That percentage is the weight that company has in the index.  The weights for all the companies are multiplied by the change in stock value each day, and then all 500 are added together to show either a rise or a decline in the level of the index.

  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

     

    Time to toss Cook's ass onto the street and replace him with Ballmer.




    Microsoft couldn't help but get a bump by firing Ballmer. While everyone is talking about Apple vs Samsung or Google it wouldn't be shocking if MS made some level of a comeback with the right management. Clearly Ballmer was killing the company. Bill Gates wasn't helping either, I believe he was even asked to step down as chairman.

  • Reply 36 of 48
    Well, it looks like the guy from Bloomberg have not yet bought enough Apple shares and is hardly trying to get the cheaper.

    Those news are typical to fund managers investors. They are not trolls. They are smart and calculated and are scaring new one off "investors" that usually buying high and selling cheap.

    Well, all the best for this funds but they are a tad too late...
  • Reply 37 of 48

    Today. Apple's market cap is 50% higher than Microsoft's.

     

    Are you guys smoking with the mayor of Toronto?

  • Reply 38 of 48
    What an absurd article. The tone is so dire, like this is the worst thing that could ever happen to Apple... yet it's actually completely meaningless. What is the benefit of being the company that has the largest weighting in the S&P 500 index? Who cares?

    Beyond the ridiculous tone, the facts make no sense. Do you really think that Microsoft will surpass Apple in market cap by the end of the year? You say, "This means it is Microsoft, rather than Apple, that is the tech company most likely to lead the S&P when trading closes on Dec. 31." Apple is currently valued at $475 billion while Microsoft is at $317 billion. In order for Microsoft to lead the S&P, their stock price would have to rise by nearly 50% in less than two months, or Apple would have to fall by a similarly huge amount, neither of which is even remotely likely.

    And what on earth does this paragraph mean? "By virtue of its impressive market cap, Apple enjoys the highest weighting in the index, at about three percent. This means little when the stock is up, but magnifies the effects of a downturn like Apple has faced this year, having slumped by around one percent year-to-date."

    You say it means little when the stock is up, but "magnifies the effects of a downturn..." How is it magnified? And what exactly is magnified? The "effect" is directly tied to the stock price, so it is exactly the same whether the stock is moving up or down. It means little when the stock is up, and just as little when the stock is down. It means nothing. And how is a 1% reduction in stock price considered a "downturn" or a "slump"? It's practically flat, and could turn positive in a single trading session.

    This is the worst writing I have read in a very long time.

    EDIT: I just read source article and it now makes sense. You completely botched the central fact. Apple isn't in danger of losing its position as the biggest influencer of the S&P 500 as you say, it could lose its position as the company that adds the most index points to the S&P 500. That is a completely different thing. You really need to go read the source article again, and then rewrite your article, because you seriously screwed it up.
  • Reply 39 of 48

    Deleted

  • Reply 40 of 48

    The writer of this article completely botched the main point.  There is absolutely no chance that Microsoft will overtake Apple in market cap, therefore Apple will still have the largest weighting in the S&P and will still be its biggest mover/influencer.  The source article is saying that Apple may lose its title as the company that adds the most index points to the S&P 500 this year.  It's kind of amazing that the AppleInsider writer got this so wrong.  

Sign In or Register to comment.