Review: Apple's second-generation iPad mini with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 148
    I believe the A7 chip and 64 bit should be mentioned first. That is what really sets the iPad mini apart from the others. It may be more of the reason for the thickness, for larger battery, than the display. When comparing to Android tablets start with the fact the screen is 30% larger and a size that makes it useful for other tasks than just watching videos. When comparing the mini to the Fire HDX point out that Amazon puts a very crippled version of Android on it. Basically making it a Amazon catalog. That gives a fair review. It explains why the mini is more

Apple can still sell the iPad 2 at a premium price because large institutions take at least a year to vet a compute and integrate with their systems. This is now just happening with the iPad 2. I know of a large bank that has just approved the iPad 2 and is beginning to deploy them. The Mini 1 is the same tech as an iPad 2, but in a smaller size. It would be easy for them to deploy them also. I believe this is the main reason they have kept it. Now the Air and mini 2 are the same tech. They can be deployed together when they are approved in a year or two. Apple could care less about the bottom feeders who see tablets as toys.
  • Reply 62 of 148
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The problem is the iPads are not growing because after four years they still serve the same purpose.

Uh, I don't get it. An iPad is basically a blank multitouch canvas, with infinite software capabilities. It has 475,000+ tablet optimized apps, and is used in a large # of industries for purposes that I doubt Apple even considered.  The hardware and form factor is improving so that software has even more potential. What other "purpose" should an iPad have? To make toast? Coffee? Vacuum? You can do infinitely more on it than you can do on an Android tablet, because it actually has high quality, tablet optimized productivity apps. So please elaborate what "purpose" the next iPad needs to have. It's so easy to come up with these mindless one-liners, then actually going into the specifics and giving a reasonable, real life recommendation for what Apple needs to do with the product. And try to come up with something a bit more original and less short-sighted than "it needs more ports". 

• Reply 63 of 148
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, I don't get it. An iPad is basically a blank multitouch canvas, with infinite software capabilities. It has 475,000+ tablet optimized apps, and is used in a large # of industries for purposes that I doubt Apple even considered.  The hardware and form factor is improving so that software has even more potential. What other "purpose" should an iPad have? To make toast? Coffee? Vacuum? You can do infinitely more on it than you can do on an Android tablet, because it actually has high quality, tablet optimized productivity apps. So please elaborate what "purpose" the next iPad needs to have. It's so easy to come up with these mindless one-liners, then actually going into the specifics and giving a reasonable, real life recommendation for what Apple needs to do with the product. And try to come up with something a bit more original and less short-sighted than "it needs more ports". 

Productivity software usually needs more ram and storage to run.  I think one of the most important and widely used productivity software is MS Office.  I also think the reason MS has not ported Office to iPad is 16GB iPad not capable.

• Reply 64 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

WTF are you talking about?  Get outside and see all the apps and uses the iPad is used for that were not even dreamed of 3 years ago.  And don't say they stop growing looking at a SINGLE QUARTER of unit sales.  The same quarter that was just before the release of new iPads.

GTFO.  Seriously. 

Fiscal Year 2012 - 58.2 iPads sold

Fiscal Year 2013 - 69.0 iPads sold

18.5% unit growth

Add to the fact that there was no major update to the iPad in 2013 (fiscal year) and the Mini was still non-Retina.

I'm betting we will see HUGE growth with two MAJOR improvements in the ipad Air and Mini Retina.

The iPads have missed expectation.  The expectation was PC is doomed because of iPad.  Now after four years iPads sold less than 200 million units.  Compare this to several billions of PCs.  The iPads are still a fraction of PCs. 

• Reply 65 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

I rather get a MacBook Air with a full OS inside instead the iOS toy!

And I'd rather get a powerful heavy duty vacuum cleaner than the puny hairdryer toy!

• Reply 66 of 148
    Quote:

who the fuk said ipads would bring an end to PC's in 3 years?  How the fuk would that happen when most business don't upgrade computers for 4-5 years?

Stop smoking dude.  If you thought the iPad would bring an end TO ALL PC's you are a fool.  Hell even Apple did not think that.  That's why they still have iMac, MacPro, and MacBooks. WTF man.

Did I say 3 years?  Do you have a brain that can understand?

• Reply 67 of 148
    Quote:

So tell me EXACTLY who's expectation did Apple miss?

Yours?

Your dog's?

Your mama?

WTF is wrong with selling 200,000,000 iPads in little over 3 years?

WTF did you expect?

Apple never promised the iPad would extinct the PC.  They NEVER SAID THAT.

Media and Wall Street.

• Reply 68 of 148
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I do wish Apple would price the memory jumps in $50 increments rather then $100.

Yes, $100 from 16GB to 32GB is clearly a ripoff.  Anyway, Apple is happy because people don't care about the $100.

• Reply 69 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    [QUOTE]Con: Limited supply could make the Retina iPad mini hard to get for the holidays.[/QUOTE]

1. That's laughable as a con. 2. No mention of reduced display colour gamut compared to some of the competition and most notably the iPad Air?

I sure hope this is a bad batch or something, because this doesn't look like Apple quality to me.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/35029/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 70 of 148
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kForceZero View Post

And I'd rather get a powerful heavy duty vacuum cleaner than the puny hairdryer toy!

How about a powerful heavy duty vacuum cleaner WITH the ability to convert to a portable vacuum cleaner when needed.

• Reply 71 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Yes, $100 from 16GB to 32GB is clearly a ripoff.  Anyway, Apple is happy because people don't care about the $100.

On Amazon, a 16GB USB flash drive is $11.39.  32GB $19.49 64GB $36.99.  On iPad, from 16 GB to 128 GB costs $300. 

• Reply 72 of 148
    Quote:

who gives a fuk what the Media and Wall Street think.   Both are full of clowns, trolls, and flat out criminals.

Many many people. 

• Reply 73 of 148
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    1. That's laughable as a con. 2. No mention of reduced display colour gamut compared to some of the competition and most notably the iPad Air.

I agree with your 1. If they mentioned 2., they would have to say that there's not enough sample yet, not enough comparison using real world photography to judge how much it matters, other qualifiers about the tests, etc. It's not black and white, in other words, and I still would have bought mine if I had known about this here gamutgate, ha ha, even though I got it as a display for my own highly colored videos, because of the ppi and the size.

Edit: that picture you added is misleading, I think. Not your fault, but it makes the mini look worse that it is in real life.

Also, your favorite Apple blogger Gruber says today in his review that he sees no difference in color. That ought to close the case for you. /s
  • Reply 74 of 148
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Productivity software usually needs more ram and storage to run.  I think one of the most important and widely used productivity software is MS Office.  I also think the reason MS has not ported Office to iPad is 16GB iPad not capable.

Yeah because MS never releases software until every bit of hardware is capable, even the smallest configurations…. 

Good one.

• Reply 75 of 148
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    ipen wrote: »

That depends on how you look at it. For people like me that only want 16GB I save $100 from someone that wants 32GB, $200 from someone that wants 64GB, and $300 from someone that wants 128GB. I am happy that those that want higher capacity allow my iPad to maintain a much lower entry price which simply wouldn't be possible if it was $11 and change like tzeshan suggests is somehow reasonable for the specific NAND chips Apple uses in their iDevices.

tzeshan wrote: »

On Amazon, a 16GB USB flash drive is $11.39.  32GB $19.49 64GB $36.99.  On iPad, from 16 GB to 128 GB costs $300. 

You damn well it's not the same NAND. Go troll somewhere else.
  • Reply 76 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And that would make sense for exactly 6 people in the entire market.

It's infuriating to read comments like this from people with no ability to think through their idiotic statement.

Since 99% of iPad users couldn't care less about SD cards...thus, no SD card slot. For the people that need it twice a year when they actually use a camera that uses SD cards...they have a small adapter.

And no, it would NOT make sense to compromise the design with a dust collector aka SD card slot for expandable storage either. Buy all what you need from start, cheap skate.

Huh? Why the anger and rage?

The guy sad that "to [him]" an SD card slot would be more usefule than the finger-print sensor home button. Who are you to judge?

I own 3 ipads, and I occassionally would like them to have an SD card slot -- particularly on vacations. It would also allow the iPad to start to become a serious photo editing tool (no reason it shouldn't be with the A7 processor and gorgeous display).

Again, I understand why apple doesn't include an SD slot . . . I get it.

But why do you have to get so angry because one guy stated that he wished his iPad had an SD slot? It's not like he said that he wished his iPad would do his laundry for him or something . . . ?
  • Reply 77 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

I don't see any special need for that. It will be included when technology will be cheap enough and used mainly for unlocking the device. Touch ID on iPhone is totally different story. It is starting point for making iPhone as perfect shopping/payment/identification device. iPad is perhaps generally to big device for that.

That's all I really want TouchID for is to quickly unlock my device. Something I do every time I pick up the device which could be dozens of times a day. Not so concerned about the purchasing aspect as I definitely make less purchases on my iPad than unlocking it. Entering a password for purchases is fine for me.

• Reply 78 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Edit: that picture you added is misleading, I think. Not your fault, but it makes the mini look worse that it is in real life.

Interesting. Hoping to see more on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Also, your favorite Apple blogger Gruber says today in his review that he sees no difference in color. That ought to close the case for you. /s

Haha! This video goes out to ol' Grubes: 

• Reply 79 of 148
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    poksi wrote: »
    enzos wrote: »
    An 8" iPad Mini is 30% larger your el cheapo comparisons. And it is over twice and fast and infinitely better looking. Why make such pointless comparisons?

Good point!

Bigger is only more important in phones, in tablets smaller is better!
  • Reply 80 of 148
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    ipen wrote: »

You should build your own phone based on usb flash from Amazon....