Official Google Play Music app debuts on Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I use Ghostery as a plug-in with Chrome. If you're at all curious how many different trackers I'm blocking there's 832 that would like to push ads to me, 348 highly invasive beacons that would love collecting a lot of user data, and 242 widgets blocked. How many of the 1000+ trackers Ghostery is aware of belong to Google? Relatively few.

I just installed it. Good info.

• Reply 22 of 71
    The only reason so many people here are anti-Google is due to Android. If Apple and Google were all chummy, almost all of the haters would love Google services.

I have Google apps, gmail, Google Now, etc on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air. And I love it! Best of both worlds.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So... You're against all forms of demographic data gathering? All forms of targeted advertising? All polls and surveys?

No - I don't mind targeted advertising. But I mind invasively targeted advertising. I realize that 'invasive' is a relative term, but most of us know where the line goes instinctively. I am not against polls and surveys (as long as they stay out of my life! :) but they are annoying. I have nothing against demographic data gathering but I don't like it as a commodity. In other words - Apple sells computers, software and services. From a business and marketing perspective it helps them (and also me as their customer) if they can gather data related to these activities. I am OK with that. If their business model is based around personal user data as a commodity, I am not OK with it. If Apple decided to trade the data they gathered I would not be OK with that. 

• Reply 24 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Anyway, AI has a pretty sparse article. A more complete description follows:

First off it's much different than Apple's iRadio so the two can happily co-exist. While Apple's service is free with targeted ads Google went the other direction with NO ADS but $9.99/mo.

All-Access shows you what songs are coming up a couple hours in advance. You can remove ones you don't want or rearrange the order as you please. Unlike iRadio you can limit your listening to a particular artist or a particular album and that's what you'll hear.
    Or you can listen to specific genres. Or other users playlists. Or your own music. Or recommended playlists based on what you've been listening to. Lots of music options.

If you hear something you really like you can even save it to your personal album. Being platform agnostic, if you're visiting non-Apple/Android owning friends you can still listen to any song artist or station on Google Music or share your own collection as long as there's a web-browser available.

Google All-Access Music will stream to Airplay, Chromecast or other Bluetooth devices. Because of limitations put in place by Apple you won't be able to buy music from Google unlike on the Android version but otherwise the service on the two platforms is generally the same.

One big thing Google has done that Apple is slow to get around to is a roll-out of their licensed music outside of North America. The first day launch includes 21 countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States

...oh, and the first month is free. Listen to your heart's content. If you find you don't like it don't renew.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    I just installed it. Good info.

It's an eye-opener isn't it?
  • Reply 26 of 71
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's an eye-opener isn't it?
    I do love Ghostery on Safari however I sometimes have to use stock Chrome as some pages are broken/buggy when Ghostery works on them.

Which groups do you block on Ghostery? All of them? Only Privacy and Advertising?
  • Reply 27 of 71

Google = evil

screw them and their privacy-defeating products.

you might as well send your passwords to N??.

• Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:

I use Ghostery as a plug-in with Chrome. If you're at all curious how many different trackers I'm blocking there's 832 that would like to push ads to me, 348 highly invasive beacons that would love collecting a lot of user data, and 242 widgets blocked. How many of the 1000+ trackers Ghostery is aware of belong to Google? Relatively few.

You're using Ghostery with that Chrome botnet? What's the point? You're still sending a ton of info to Google which is the biggest tracker anyway!?

• Reply 29 of 71
    lostkiwi wrote: »
    I do love Ghostery on Safari however I sometimes have to use stock Chrome as some pages are broken/buggy when Ghostery works on them.

Which groups do you block on Ghostery? All of them? Only Privacy and Advertising?

On Ghostery you can temporarily pause blocking for sites that needed popups or forms. A lot of blogs now have buttons to pause Ghostery on that site alone so that you can view article comments that might be blocked.

As far as what I personally keep at bay it's all but a couple of Privacy notices. Otherwise it's block-all for me: Advertising, Analytics, Beacons and Widgets. I'd suggest for those sites that you conduct business with to Whitelist them so as not to run into issues. Tapping the same button over and over gets frustrating when you suddenly realize you can't see the requested content because Ghostery blocked it. :grumble:
  • Reply 30 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Not really how it works, but yes, 'being tracked' comes with almost all things Google (and Apple- whether you like it or not).

Google has a vested interest in guarding your info, not selling it.

Google doesn't place most ads that generate them revenue.  For example the 3993827382 ads you see surrounding these forums are placed by AI, not Google.  If you use Google services what changes is what ads get displayed to you.  You get the ads either way.  One way you get a bunch of random crap or stuff that is 'generally' targeted to the types of people that might visit AI.  If you use services like Google music there is a better chance that those ads won't be as 'random' and when the band that you listen to most on Google Music is coming to your town there's a better chance one of those ads will be for tickets to go see the show instead of for the random 'dish detergent' ad.

Subtle astro-turfing Frood.

Working in online advertising, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Google is monetizing your personal information. Most of their revenue is generated in this manner, so don't try and downplay what they're doing.

Last time I checked, Apple is not using my personal information or data usage to generate ad revenue for themselves. 

• Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:

While you're worrying about Google these are the others tracking your every move just here at AppleInsider according to Ghostery. And unlike most FUD about Google some of these guys may really be selling what information they find out about you.

x+1 / Advertising

Aggregate Knowledge /Beacons

Atlas /Advertising

BlueKai /Beacons

Criteo /Advertising

Connexity /Advertising

DataXu /Advertising

DoubleVerify /Analytics

eBay Stats /Advertising

Facebook Connect /Widgets

InsightExpress /Analytics

Integral Ad Science /Analytics

MLN Advertising /Advertising

MediaMath /Advertising

Moat /Advertising

Neustar AdAdvisor /Beacons

OpenX /Advertising

PubMatic /Advertising

Quantcast /Advertising

ScoreCard Research Beacon /Beacons

TRUSTe Notice /Privacy

TubeMogul /Analytics

Turn /Advertising

VigLink /Advertising

VoiceFive /Beacons

High-profile and closely monitored Google would be the least of my worries.

No doubt my friend that AI has some nasty trackers but some of us have the tools to fight back ;)  LMAO

Then again, AI must survive to feed us their excellent editorials and articles. So, I don't mind this site and many many others.

When it comes to google & larry, they can kiss my hairy a$$. I never ever let them know I even exist!!!

• Reply 32 of 71
    bighype wrote: »
    You're using Ghostery with that Chrome botnet? What's the point? You're still sending a ton of info to Google which is the biggest tracker anyway!

LOL. Microsoft sure gets around. Your moniker seems fitting by the way.

So Chrome offers to save passwords for you. . . . unless you don't want it to.
    If there's a page error it notifies Google. . . unless you don't want it to.
    And it protects you from malicious websites by keeping an up-to-date list of currently reported "bad pages"... unless you don't want it to.

In fact Chrome does all the following things, several not mentioned in your colorful image. . . unless you don't want it to. As you've likely never looked at Chrome I'll protect you from looking for yourself.

"Google Chrome may use web services to improve your browsing experience. You may optionally disable these services. Learn more

-Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors

-Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar

-Predict network actions to improve page load performance

-Enable phishing and malware protection

-Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors

-Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google

-Send a ‘Do Not Track’ request with your browsing traffic

Passwords and forms

-Enable Autofill to fill out web forms in a single click. Manage Autofill settings

-Offer to save passwords I enter on the web. Manage saved passwords

Next to each of those is a checkbox to enable or disable, whatever your pleasure.
    So Whoa. . . You're right. Evil botnet incarnate!
  • Reply 33 of 71
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucepondo View Post

Last time I checked, Apple is not using my personal information or data usage to generate ad revenue for themselves. 

Last time I checked (just a minute ago), Apple does use personal information and data usage to generate ad revenue for themselves.  It's in black and white in their privacy policy.  Such is the way of many businesses these days.

• Reply 34 of 71
    brucepondo wrote: »

Perhaps you should read Apple's privacy policy a little more closely then. There's no white hats.

Working in advertising as you do you should'a already known but if you're living in the dark just have the agency check into iAds and how they can help your clients reach your target market. Apple will probably be happy to tell you guys the kind of data and results they can deliver. Not sure you'll be able to share what they tell you tho.

Oh, and please have your bosses ask about Apple's ad exchange service. Should be highly target-able and if the news is accurate it could be right around the corner.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    One big thing Google has done that Apple is slow to get around to is a roll-out of their licensed music outside of North America. The first day launch includes 21 countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States

...oh, and the first month is free. Listen to your heart's content. If you find you don't like it don't renew.

Except Canada which is in NA. iTunes Radio isn't available here either although it should be accessible to Canadians after the new year.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    mykem wrote: »
    Except Canada which is in NA. iTunes Radio isn't available here either although it should be accessible to Canadians after the new year.

I thought Canada was getting iRadio sooner than that. My mistake. And thanks too for the mention of All-Access missing Canada. Didn't even notice
  • Reply 37 of 71
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Kinda funny. People come here and complain about being tracked by Google, and they are getting tracked and their data collected.

• Reply 38 of 71
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

How do you know it's Google following you, or that it's Google alone responsible for the ads you see? Did you bother to look at the huge number of trackers that aren't Google just here at AI? The 25 I see when logged on are listed in post 8 above. The names change on occasion too so your list might vary.

I guess blaming Google for everything ad-related on the internet is like asking for a Coke. It's a catch-all generic that covers a whole lotta different companies products.
    Because when I used to use them for search I would get emails about whatever Odd thing I searched for. I switched to Bing and it stopped for a while. I had to use a Google account to log on to a website recently and noticed the adds again. It was a couple of aggravating weeks later I read something about needing to log out did so and amazingly the directed ads stopped.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    genovelle wrote: »
    Because when I used to use them for search I would get emails about whatever Odd thing I searched for. I switched to Bing and it stopped for a while. I had to use a Google account to log on to a website recently and noticed the adds again. It was a couple of aggravating weeks later I read something about needing to log out did so and amazingly the directed ads stopped.

Well then gosh, those other 800+ internet advertising companies are just wasting their time and effort. Google is like Tigger...They're the only one.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Well then gosh, those other 800+ internet advertising companies are just wasting their time and effort. Google is like Tigger...They're the only one.
    No they are just the one that owns search and has figured out how to gather data by offering a free service then later linking them all together so you are being tracked even after you think you have logged out.