Review: Apple's second-generation iPad mini with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 148
    appex wrote: »
    I rather get a MacBook Air with a full OS inside instead the iOS toy!

Good news: Apple has that covered.
  • Reply 82 of 148
    neilm wrote: »
    Wow - those are amazingly useless photos of the two screens on the first page of the review.
    What were they taken with, a ten-year-old cellphone camera?

AppleInsider's crack team of professional photographers. /s
  • Reply 83 of 148
    Colors are "off" a bit and the overall display is not as bright (same settings). I am comparing it to my new iPad Air and my older iPad 3. Also vs the 5s. I'll take it to a retail store on Sunday...

Anyone else notice this? I hope it's just mine.
  • Reply 84 of 148
    The almost perfect tablet. Next year it will be perfect with TouchID. Still, it will sell tens of millions

Almost perfect, if only it had the A7X chip. /s
  • Reply 85 of 148
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Well, I got mine. The trick is to make a reservation early in the morning before they sell out for the day. Upgrading from iPad 3, 32GB, WiFi, Black to iPad Mini with Retina Display, 64GB, WiFi, Silver.

The main thing I use it for is reading books, so switching from the full-sized to the Mini made sense from a weight and hold-ability perspective, but the iPad Air is awesome also.

• Reply 86 of 148
    tzeshan wrote: »

This is one of the biggest mistakes Apple made in positioning iPad.  iPads have much bigger screen than iPhones.  They are more suitable for productivity.  With productivity one generally needs more memory.  Apple is steering many productivity users away from iPads.

That's a laugh. I play 3D shooter games and these regularly push over 1GB of storage. And a feature-length HD movie from iTunes takes 3.5-4GB of storage.

The productivity apps installed on my iPad don't approach that.
  • Reply 87 of 148
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's a laugh. I play 3D shooter games and these regularly push over 1GB of storage. And a feature-length HD movie from iTunes takes 3.5-4GB of storage.

The productivity apps installed on my iPad don't approach that.

It is not a laugh.  Apparently you don't store music or photo albums on your iPad.  To many people they do. 

• Reply 88 of 148
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

When we talk about instant ON/OFF, there's no place for laptop. Got it? Sale force on the fields, doctors in hospitals and more...do you think they have time to boot up, log on a labtop and open the application?

• Reply 89 of 148
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Maybe Apple should've priced Retina iPad Mini at $349 or so to make it more affordable, but it still sells like a hotcake anyway at current price.

First, if you compare Nexus 7 with Retina iPad Mini, you have to look at screen estate too, meaning iPad Mini screen estate is a lot more than Nexus 7, almost 40% larger.

Secondly, battery life: in the real life testing, retina iPad Mini can last as much as 2x more than Nexus 7 (11.75 hrs on iPad vs 6 hrs on Nexus 7 for 720p video).

Lastly, resale value: a year from now, you can still sell a retina iPad mini on eBay for at least $300 where you probably get <$150 for Nexus 7. So your depreciation on the iPad is <$99/year while it's at least $79 for Nexus 7. 

That $20 difference cannot justify with iPad better build quality, iOS ecosystem, reliability, apps store and all of the above, so you are actually better off with iPad than Nexus if you're not OS hardcore (fandroid or iSheep) but a normal user (95% of tablet owners).

• Reply 90 of 148
    cpsro wrote: »
    Limited supply => high price
    I doubt it, I think it is for same specs as full IPad you got to get simular price($100 for every option difference now verses $170 and less options on mini) as for the only difference is size with the 2 inches of screen and of course that makes the battery size (my guess is the battery allows only $30 difference) vs last year having a screen probably less than half the new in price A5 (vs A6X) being the A6X and A5 be a $70 plus screen $100 (got it right there).
    I do wish Apple would price the memory jumps in $50 increments rather then $100.
    There like any other brands (that I know) but at least if you pay $300 higher from bottom end it would be 8 times larger, and them all $100 difference vs $50 16-32,$75 32-64,$100 64-128

appex wrote: »
    Hey it is your choice but to note this cost $400 for a better screen(but anything else worse) and Air cost $1000 yet you get bigger, faster, and better keyboard, plus the lovely full desktop OS. But goal is power vs easy.
  • Reply 91 of 148
    Availability not an issue for me. Walked into a Best Buy Thursday, and there it was, just being put on display.

It's exceeding my expectations. Very smooth, fast and it runs cool.
  • Reply 92 of 148
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    vaporland wrote: »
    "While text on the first iPad mini is muddy and pixelated, it's crisp and clear on the Retina iPad mini."

Something tells me that if I look up the review of the first iPad mini. the words "muddy and pixelated" will appear nowhere within...

Ok, went back to the original review and found this:
    Things that make you go hmmm....
    Yup. There are some notable regular posters on this forum who are embarrassingly biased in their views. It's unbelievable how passionately people debated the quality and rationale behind the original mini's display, specifically in support of every decision Apple made, and how unnecessary the Retina display was because of the compacted size and resulting pixel density, making it superior to the iPad 2.

Turns out they were wrong and everyone else that got beaten into submission here were right. No real surprise there ...
  • Reply 93 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Bigger is only more important in phones, in tablets smaller is better!

brainstorm!

let's call our tablets phones and our phones tablets!!

that way everyone will buy them!!

oh wait, samsung is already doing that....

• Reply 94 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

It is not a laugh.  Apparently you don't store music or photo albums on your iPad.  To many people they do. 

did you read his post??

person 1:I download and keep movies and songs on my iPad.They take 4GB of memory (or something like that)

you:Apparently you don't store music or photo albums on your iPad.  To many people they do. 

• Reply 95 of 148
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

did you read his post??

person 1:I download and keep movies and songs on my iPad.They take 4GB of memory (or something like that)

you:Apparently you don't store music or photo albums on your iPad.  To many people they do. 

I have four thousands songs on my Mac.  They take over 11GB of disk space.  I have several thousands of photos too.  The 16GB iPad can not hold them. 

• Reply 96 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I agree with your 1. If they mentioned 2., they would have to say that there's not enough sample yet, not enough comparison using real world photography to judge how much it matters, other qualifiers about the tests, etc. It's not black and white, in other words, and I still would have bought mine if I had known about this here gamutgate, ha ha, even though I got it as a display for my own highly colored videos, because of the ppi and the size.

Edit: that picture you added is misleading, I think. Not your fault, but it makes the mini look worse that it is in real life.

Also, your favorite Apple blogger Gruber says today in his review that he sees no difference in color. That ought to close the case for you. /s

Retina mini is not full sRGB like the Air or even the Nexus 7:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/6
  • Reply 97 of 148
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland wrote: »
    Retina mini is not full sRGB like the Air or even the Nexus 7:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/6

Yep, I saw that too and was going to post about it. Agrees with the earlier test run by Chris what's his name.

Was it you that said this doesn't look like an Apple product? I'd have to agree with that too, since their other screens make sRGB. I suspect there's something inherently difficult about making this particular 326ppi panel that they're demanding from suppliers who haven't made them before, yet they're under pressure to deliver a retina mini now.

I don't think we're getting anywhere near the real story here. I'm waiting for Raymond Soneira's report. I don't think we can rule out the IGZO factor yet. Something besides better battery density and a more efficient processor might well be at work to suppress the trade offs in doing a retina screen.
  • Reply 98 of 148
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Did I say 3 years?  Do you have a brain that can understand?

Not sure how you managed to rack up 483 posts on this forum, when literally every single on of your posts is moronic and without a shred of common sense. Incredible. 

• Reply 99 of 148
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

On Amazon, a 16GB USB flash drive is $11.39.  32GB $19.49 64GB $36.99.  On iPad, from 16 GB to 128 GB costs $300. 

This post illustrates just how grotesquely ignorant you are, comparing NAND and flash drives as if they're the same thing. Go do 5 seconds of research before you troll with such stupidity. 

You keep moving the goalposts and changing your argument. iPad is a "dissapointment" because it "missed expectations" of "wall street and the media"- oh and yourself, apparently. I'm pretty sure the fact that the iPad is one of the most (if not the most) successful consumer electronics device in history makes whatever point you think you have entirely moot. Whats worse is that you lie and pretend that Apple and expectations for the iPad that they're never, ever articulated- like completely eliminating the entire PC industry- apparently, thats your mind-bogglingly ludicrous metric for "expectations" and "success". 

Seriously go troll somewhere else. Your posts are just mind-numbing. 

• Reply 100 of 148
    Ive had the mini since day1. the original one. I couldnt go back to a full sized ipad, they are far too heavy. I would get the rMini, but I dont need it yet, this ipad mini is fine for reading rss feeds and email and reading forums :)